Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#384354 - 07/12/05 03:32 PM Changing our Bank Name
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are in the process of changing our Bank Name and creating a new image.

I am in need of a Marketing Company to assist with these process. Any suggestions ??

Return to Top
Marketing
#384355 - 07/12/05 03:52 PM Re: Changing our Bank Name
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
On a company to assist, no. But from experience I'd say you have many perspectives to consider. Here are some random thoughts.

* Ensure your customers know the name change isn't an ownership change.
* Review your forms for changes.
* Review all software programs that print your name on documents.
* Ensure that all vendors (including attorneys, title companies, etc.) know of the name change and date and act accordingly on all documents sent to you and produced for you. (Don't leave out your regulators.)
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#384356 - 07/12/05 04:21 PM Re: Changing our Bank Name
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the response. We contracted with a company to assist us with the "Branding and Naming" piece however we need someone to help us develop the print media and web media.

Return to Top
#384357 - 07/12/05 04:29 PM Re: Changing our Bank Name
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Some of the form changes may be approached in different ways, depending on whether your name change is a legal name change (changed on charter) or simply the adoption of a tradestyle (dba).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#384358 - 07/13/05 12:08 AM Re: Changing our Bank Name
baseball banker Offline
baseball banker
California
I had to go through the same process in renaming a bank a few years ago and used two companies. Both companies specialize in banks and credit unions.

Engle & Murphy
Kevin Murphy
562 983-7270
www.englemurphy.com

or
PSB Marketing Supersource
in Irvine or Lake Forest California
Sorry I dont have their contact information

Engle Murphy is more of a full service company, where PSB provides shell materials that can be customized for your bank.

Good Luck it is alot of work!

Return to Top
#384359 - 07/13/05 02:13 AM Re: Changing our Bank Name
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Needless to say, you should pick a name for which you can register an exact domain name. ournewname.com may not be available and you don't want to confuse your customers any more than absolutely necessary.

Return to Top
#384360 - 07/14/05 07:55 AM Re: Changing our Bank Name
RayLynch Offline
Platinum Poster
RayLynch
A couple of other points:

1. Don't pick a name that is similar to another institution's name as that may confuse your clients and the public. The other institution will look closely at your name to see if it violates any of its trademarks/service marks.

2. If you are using a dba name but not changing your formal name, be aware that you need to be careful in how you advertise so as not to create the false impression to your clients that they are dealing with more than one institution and get extra FDIC insurance coverage. The regulators have addressed this issue in the past.

Return to Top
#384361 - 07/14/05 12:25 PM Re: Changing our Bank Name
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
On a side note - don't do it. It's a sure sign that you are going to get bought within the next six months. Can anyone say Amegy??

Return to Top
#384362 - 08/05/05 10:13 PM Re: Changing our Bank Name
reinkesd Offline
100 Club
reinkesd
Connecticut
Andy, thank you for mentioning the vendor. I'm out here today looking for information about name changes because I've had two clients this week notify us (sort of) of what they are doing. One has given us plenty of notice, the other has only given us a couple of weeks.

We need time to go through all of our systems and touch every piece of code from statements, front end, ATM receipts, billing, etc. plus all of our internal contact information, call tracking systems, accounting, and what not.

I'm trying to put together a checklist of all the pieces that need to be changed for our clients so they'll have a reference on the nuts and bolts of the process.

Back to why I'm here. Is there a legal process an institution must go through to change their name and if so, what are the notification requirements to their customers? As a service bureau I can see us assisting in the process and wanted to here what the folks at BOL had to say.

I know I don't come around much now that I've crossed over to the other side, but as always, I appreciate any help you can provide.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker