Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#384695 - 07/14/05 04:52 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just wanted to say that those who are still confused by the "there, their, and they're situation", and those who incorrectly corrected the original poster, here's a handy dandy way to remember these.

There = location. Over there. We went there for lunch
Their = possessive. It's their game. I went to their house
They're = they are. They're going to the game with us.

So please, follow this easy to use method. And don't incorrectly correct people. It's rude...and a pet peeve of mine.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#384696 - 07/14/05 05:05 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Bass players who play with a pick.

Now wait a minute, I said just wwwwaaaaaait a minute there, Guitar Dude. I resemble that remark. I use a pick sometimes. Not often. But sometimes it's the only way to get that feel you're looking for, especially when there's no other guitar player in the band.

By the way, one of my favorite bassists, Chris Squire, of "Yes" uses a pick.

Yeah, I do take back my previous support of that belief. Sometimes there is a place for bassists to use a pick. I think the dude from Manowar uses one for his ridiculous solo! Although, I think that they should be able to switch between both. Same for guitarists. Although, I've never gotten into growing out my nails to use for fingerpicking. My guitar teacher does that, but it's not my thing.

Also, finger tapping solos are awesome!!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#384697 - 07/14/05 05:18 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

People who dont use there turn signal or use it after they are already turning.

People who do not know the proper use of the words "there", "they're" and "their".

? (sorry, couldn't resist)

how is this an incorrect correction?

Return to Top
#384698 - 07/14/05 05:20 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Their = possessive. It's their game. I went to their house

another one....their turn signal.

Return to Top
#384699 - 07/14/05 05:35 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about we all go home!

Return to Top
#384700 - 07/14/05 05:44 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

my cat's breath smells like cat food

Return to Top
#384701 - 07/14/05 06:56 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

"there" is a direction not a possessive. it would be similar to saying "People who don't use "under, over, around" turn signal or use it after..."

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People who dont use there turn signal or use it after they are already turning.

People who do not know the proper use of the words "there", "they're" and "their".

? (sorry, couldn't resist)

how is this an incorrect correction?

Return to Top
#384702 - 07/14/05 07:11 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know someone who places an "s" on words where no "s" should ever be...anywheres, somewheres, nowheres. For me, it's equivalent to nails on a chalkboard.

Return to Top
#384703 - 07/14/05 07:19 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

So it’s agreed that the following statement:

People who don’t use there turn signal or use it after they are already turning.

Should actually be:

People who don’t use their turn signal or use it after they are already turning.

Return to Top
#384704 - 07/14/05 07:27 PM Re: Pet Peeves
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Anon-you just reminded me of one-several coworkers refer to WalMart as WalMarts.....ARRRGGGHHH. I have never seen an S on a WalMart sign...that drives me crazy

Return to Top
#384705 - 07/14/05 08:53 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Anon-you just reminded me of one-several coworkers refer to WalMart as WalMarts.....ARRRGGGHHH. I have never seen an S on a WalMart sign...that drives me crazy

My old boss always said cent even if was plural. She would say One Dollar and Fifty Cent (Hum maybe she was really into rap and I didn't know it )

Return to Top
#384706 - 07/14/05 08:57 PM Re: Pet Peeves
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Quote:

My biggest pet peeve is when my honey dips the knife into the peanut butter first, and then the jelly while making sandwiches. I don't like peanut butter and he is contaminating my jelly supply with peanut butter flavor! I keep trying to just buy him his own jelly...but somehow the problem persists...

I have the same problem in reverse...I hate jelly and my kids were ruining my peanut butter with a jelly covered knife. Buying squeezable jelly solved my problem...

Return to Top
#384707 - 07/14/05 08:59 PM Re: Pet Peeves
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Thank god we don't have serious issues like peanut butter in our jelly at our house I'd probably have to take out a can of whoop arse

Although crumbs in the butter are a bit of an issue. Gosh the stresses we have to endure in life

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#384708 - 07/14/05 08:59 PM Re: Pet Peeves
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Hahaha! Too funny! Like I said, I tried to buy him hiw own jelly but mine must taste better...even though it is the same flavor! My father used to always take a bite out of my mother's food. Used to drive her crazy and of course he would just crack up. Same food, he would say, but it tastes better off her plate!

Return to Top
#384709 - 07/14/05 08:59 PM Re: Pet Peeves
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Quote:

I have a girlfriend that does that...and it drives me nuts. One day when we were going to Wal-Mart she referred to it as Wal-Marts and I said **** there is no S...see look at the sign. She said I know...and still calls it Wal-Marts!!!

Return to Top
#384710 - 07/14/05 09:02 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kind of like customers who call in with a question about their Checkings account?

Return to Top
#384711 - 07/14/05 09:03 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Cat Woman Offline
Diamond Poster
Cat Woman
New England
Quote:

Quote:

My biggest pet peeve is when my honey dips the knife into the peanut butter first, and then the jelly while making sandwiches. I don't like peanut butter and he is contaminating my jelly supply with peanut butter flavor! I keep trying to just buy him his own jelly...but somehow the problem persists...

I have the same problem in reverse...I hate jelly and my kids were ruining my peanut butter with a jelly covered knife. Buying squeezable jelly solved my problem...

Squeezable jelly is the best.

And I must agree with the courtesy wave thing. I HATE that! The least you could do is give me a little wave!

I also hate it when people say Valentime's Day.

Return to Top
#384712 - 07/14/05 11:08 PM Re: Pet Peeves
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

I know someone who places an "s" on words where no "s" should ever be...anywheres, somewheres, nowheres. For me, it's equivalent to nails on a chalkboard.

That reminds me of a character on Murphy Brown whose tag line was "that's alls I know." It drove her nuts.

Return to Top
#384713 - 07/14/05 11:20 PM Re: Pet Peeves
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
Okay here are mine, and I'll probably come up with a couple more later....

1. It's Nordstrom, not Nordstrom's
2. Chewing with your mouth open
3. Guys that breathe too loud *Please refer to the Dating Problems thread**
4. Any kind of slurping, sniffing or constant throat clearing
5. Slow drivers in the left lane

More to come later, I'm sure....

Return to Top
#384714 - 07/15/05 01:13 AM Re: Pet Peeves
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Angelina darling...My great aunt purchased a home from the Nordstrom family many moons ago. The son of the then top Nordstrom (it was a family owned store) was kind enough to come to the property and burn down the home, then return when she rebuilt and burn down the next one.

We refer to Nordstrom as "Nordstrom's" because it's the Nordstrom's store in our mind still...and we feared the little match lovers for many years so...Nordstrom's is a proper title for the store...but maybe only if you know the darned family

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#384715 - 07/15/05 03:04 PM Re: Pet Peeves
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Dawnie - once again, way to much information about your family - trust me, no one cares about your family peccadilloes.

As stated above - it's Nordstrom, except if life events have left you with bubbles in your think tank.

Besides, it's people like you that are normally on the other end of the pet peeves noted above, so think of this thread as about you, big time.

Return to Top
#384716 - 07/15/05 03:16 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Dawnie - once again, way to much information about your family - trust me, no one cares about your family peccadilloes.

_X_, quit picking on Dawnie. Obviously, you have a personality conflict with her, but the rest of us are sick of hearing about it. She has as much right to discuss what she wants as you do to list every little thing that ever bugged you in life. And yes, I understand that this post is hypocritical.

Return to Top
#384717 - 07/15/05 04:17 PM Re: Pet Peeves
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quack off, Buckwheat!

Return to Top
#384718 - 07/15/05 04:23 PM Re: Pet Peeves
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
Quote:

Quack off, Buckwheat!

OMG, that is funny. People are looking at me like I'm crazy.

When I shop there it's Nordstrom. I have spent enough money there that I should be adopted into the family though, so hook me up Dawnie

Return to Top
#384719 - 07/15/05 04:35 PM Re: Pet Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quack off, Buckwheat!

Ooh...good comeback. Can't fight the logic, huh?

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4