Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#3843 - 08/21/01 07:24 PM Mergers & Acquisitions
Anonymous
Unregistered

We will be acquiring another bank later this year. I am looking for a checklist and/or some guidance on compliance issues that I need to address. So far, I have come up with Privacy Notices, Transfer of Mortgage Servicing Notices, BSA-review of files for proper exemption procedures & filing forms to amend exemption, and running customer list against OFAC data base. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#3844 - 08/21/01 08:48 PM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
I don't know if your asset size and if acquiring that bank will change it but be sure not to forget that CRA requirements and reporting and of course HMDA may become an issue if not already.

Return to Top
#3845 - 08/21/01 08:58 PM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The ABA Compliance Magazine has these articles under M&A.

Affiliate Transactions and the Compliance Cycle, William J. Rundorff, July/Summer 1994, p. 16.

Branch Closings: Compliance and Procedural Considerations, Roger A. Rumbaugh, April/Spring 1995, p. 31.

Community Reinvestment Act and the Modernized Financial Services World, Deborah B. Goldberg, Jan/Feb 2000, p. 13.

Compliance 101: What a Director Needs To Know, Joseph A. Drain, May/June 1997, p. 3.

Due Diligence: The Consumer Compliance Officer's Role in a Merger or Asset Acquisition, Anne Geary Wallace, January/Winter 1991, p. 28.

IRS Reporting Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions, Cheryl Riedlinger, Jan/Feb 1999, p. 13.

Is Your Bank Going Down the Interstate Highway? Watch Out for the Compliance Potholes, Deborah Thoren-Peden and Julius L. Loeser, Sept/Oct 1996, p. 3.

Pit and the Pendulum: Just in Time, the Pendulum Begins To Swing Back, and the Industry Can Pull Back from the Regulatory Abyss, Robert P. Chamness, October/Autumn 1994, p. 18.

Return of the HMDA Dragon - Actions Steps for Management, Charles E. Cabler and Phillips G. Gay, Jr., October/Autumn 1995, p. 27.

This should get you off to an excellent start.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#3846 - 08/23/01 02:29 PM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,
I went to the ABA site but could not find a way to retrieve the articles that you listed.
Is there a way to do so or do I need to buy the back issues?

Return to Top
#3847 - 08/24/01 04:35 AM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you don't have them on your shelf and if they are too old for the CCH Banking Library CD (assuming you have that, they go to 1996 I believe), you either need to get copies from the ABA or "borrow" a copy from those who have it.

FYI, I do know someone who has a complete set of magazines available for sale. While this would be more than you need, someone may be interested in enhancing their compliance library with archives of information.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#3848 - 08/24/01 03:03 AM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Chuck Lewis wrote a due diligence manual for ABA. Is it still in print & available?

Return to Top
#3849 - 08/24/01 08:05 PM Re: Mergers & Acquisitions
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Sylacauga, Al, United States
Maybe I can finally help someone. Everyone has been so helpful to me. I just went through this with my Bank. We purchased specific assets of another bank. It was finalized this month and our conversion will be in October. It has been alot of work but I have learned so much through the process. We are even closing the one branch and relocating safe deposit boxes. If I can be of help to you please e-mail me or telephone. Good luck and hold on for an experience of a ride!

Please note: Whatever I share is from me and not opinions of my Bank.

Return to Top