Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#385601 - 07/15/05 02:34 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

There are going to be 7 altogether. Hogwarts is a seven year school, and each book is a year of Harry's life at the school.

Are you so sure about that? Yes, Hogwarts is a seven year school, and the author initially said the series would end at 7 books. However, she has recently been far less sure that 7 would be the end. Remember, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series was originally slated as a trilogy...

Success breeds sequels.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#385602 - 07/15/05 02:48 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Sounds like a great time.

I will be at the party tonight with my daughter. We actually will be getting to B&N a bit before 6:00PM to obtain the coveted bracelets so that we will be near the front of the line to receive the copies we reserved months ago.

There will be those in costume though I sadly will not be among them having to go straight from the office.

Return to Top
#385603 - 07/15/05 03:13 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I only read the first book. It did not "grab" me, but when my teacher friend said it was all the rage with her fifth graders, I could understand why. Not exactly classics, but good "escapist" material, as in escape from the real world for awhile, which I guess most books are.

Return to Top
#385604 - 07/15/05 03:37 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Quote:

There are going to be 7 altogether. Hogwarts is a seven year school, and each book is a year of Harry's life at the school.

Are you so sure about that? Yes, Hogwarts is a seven year school, and the author initially said the series would end at 7 books. However, she has recently been far less sure that 7 would be the end. Remember, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series was originally slated as a trilogy...

Success breeds sequels.

I would love for there to be more!!! I want to know about Harry's life after Hogwarts...

Return to Top
#385605 - 07/15/05 03:39 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Did you hear about that book store in Canada that started selling them a couple of weeks ago? Lawyers for the publishers got involved and slapped the bookstore and all purchasers with a gag order. The purchasers had to bring their books back but were promised an autographed edition instead.

They are purely escapist material - a quick read and now that I've read them - got to see how it ends kind of story.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#385606 - 07/15/05 03:48 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Success breeds sequels.

I would love for there to be more!!! I want to know about Harry's life after Hogwarts...

Are you so sure that Harry will survive the 7 years? If he does, so will he who shall not be named since they are linked.

Return to Top
#385607 - 07/15/05 03:52 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Well, if there are more than 7, he would have to survive. It couldn't be called Harry Potter, without Harry. He who shall not be names would also have to. What would the book be without the villian??

Return to Top
#385608 - 07/15/05 03:54 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
The last televised interview I saw of J.K. Rowling indicated that she had the epiloge to book 7 written, but not book 7. She indicated that her epiloge told what happened to them after Hogwarts.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#385609 - 07/15/05 04:08 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
That's cool. Maybe she will change her mind and make it into another book. Either way, it's excited to know that soon we will get to know the next phase at Hogwarts!!!

Return to Top
#385610 - 07/15/05 04:44 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I never got around to pre-ordering, but I will be at my local Wal-Mart at opening tomorrow morning. And I bet I finish the book Saturday also. But I know I will skip to toward the end to see who gets killed. Can't stand not knowing.

Return to Top
#385611 - 07/15/05 04:51 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
I want to buy the set, but I want to wait until they are all out, so I can buy the boxed set all at once. Although, I may give in and go buy it anyway. Sometimes the patience runs out before it's my turn.

Return to Top
#385612 - 07/15/05 10:49 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
bucket Offline
100 Club
bucket
TX- east and north
If you're interested, jkrowling.com and mugglenet.com are some pretty cool HP fan sites. mugglenet.com is run by a handful of teens who also write editorials predicting what they think will happen next in the series. Of course, all of what they have to say can be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still interesting anyways.

Return to Top
#385613 - 07/16/05 01:15 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
Jeez. I can't believe who was killed.

I was the second person to get the book this morning at Wal-Mart. And of course I read the last chapter first.

Return to Top
#385614 - 07/16/05 02:43 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, Donna Banker. It's crazy!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#385615 - 07/16/05 03:13 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Quote:

Jeez. I can't believe who was killed.

I was the second person to get the book this morning at Wal-Mart. And of course I read the last chapter first.

Now you're making me curious as all get out!

Return to Top
#385616 - 07/16/05 07:34 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
just finished the book... wont say much other than the true power of the death in this book will knock you off your feet... i did not give into temptation and read the end first... so it took me by complete and total shock and disbelief. can't wait to really discuss. i'm going to reread it after i take a good long nap!!!

Return to Top
#385617 - 07/17/05 01:55 AM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Can we start the discussion next week? I'll finish it before bed so I'll be raring to go. Rereading the last few chapters of Book 5 yesterday made it much easier to get right into Book 6 today.

Return to Top
#385618 - 07/17/05 03:33 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
let's start a new thread on monday that is clearly for those who have read the book, so nothing is spoiled for those who haven't finished. i already have some great theories...

Return to Top
#385619 - 07/17/05 04:00 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
After finishing the book, there may be a slim chance that this person isn't really dead. Or that things are not as they seem. Remember, it is all about trust.

Looks like the last book will be radically different than all the others. How many years between books?? Already can't wait!!

Return to Top
#385620 - 07/17/05 04:41 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I finished the book Saturday afternoon.
Let's just say I cried for a good couple of hours! I am down with the new thread ideal for Monday.
I can't wait to talk about it.
BTW, I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory afterwards, and that brought my spirits up. It's a good movie.

Return to Top
#385621 - 07/18/05 12:26 AM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
book 7 is apox 2 years away, per JK. she will start writting toward the end of the year.

Return to Top
#385622 - 07/18/05 04:26 AM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone else preorder their book on walmart.com and NOT receive it on Saturday? My daughter was greatly disappointed and ready to boycott wallyworld.

Return to Top
#385623 - 07/18/05 01:44 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
I pre-ordered mine thru Barnes and Nobles. It was in my mailbox Saturday. No waiting in line, no staying up all night (except to read) AND, I even actually got some chores done around the house before it arrived.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#385624 - 07/18/05 06:41 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the names of all the books thus far? I haven't read any of the books, but have seen the movies. Are the books interesting? Better than the movie?

Return to Top
#385625 - 07/18/05 06:59 PM Re: Harry Potter Release!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
1: philosopher's stone
2: chamber of secrets
3: prisoner of azkaban
4: goblet of fire
5: order of the phoenix
6: Half blood prince

are the books interesting? lets just say ummm yes, very... it would take too long to say more.
the movies are okay, but as almost always the books are way better.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3