Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#385664 - 07/13/05 09:47 PM FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I am looking at a BOL Tool that a copied some time ago. It is called "Regulation B - ECOA and FCRA Adverse Action Notice Cheat Sheet." Under one of the sections, I find the following:

"Recent interpretations/changes in Reg. B clarified that there is no violation of privacy to simply send one copy to each applicant disclosing the denial reason relating to one applicant's poor credit history."

Where can I read about these "recent interpretations/changes to Reg B?"

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#385665 - 07/13/05 10:43 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I think the changes referred to on that tool were the ones effective April, 2004. Here's a thread where they were discussed. Click Me

Return to Top
#385666 - 07/19/05 09:43 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I have been busy, so now I need to bump this one back to the top. I did not find an answer in the thread for which the link was provided. Maybe some imput could be offered if I were to get to the root of my question.

For example....an applicant applies for a loan and is denied based on his or her credit report. The applicant returns with a co-signer/guarantor. The co-signer/guarantor also has a lousy credit report. Here is what we currently do.
1. Send an AAN to the applicant outlining the reasons for denial based on the applicant and or the applicant's collateral. Then, for "other," we indicate that the co-signer/guarantor did not meet the bank's standards.

2. We send the cosigner/guarantor and AAN based on cosigner or guarantor's bad credit.

Our software company insists that identical notices should be sent to applicant and cosigner/guarantor, listing all pertinent reasons.

I do not see how this can be useful. For example, suppose the applicant is denied based on limited credit experience, poor credit performance with us and value or type of collateral insufficient. The co-signer is denied based upon delinquint obligations with others, foreclosure and excessive obligations in relation to income. Well...there's six reasons....not supposed to list more than four, according to the commentary. And how is the applicant and the cosigner/guarantor supposed to know which applies to who? It seems prudent to send separate notices.

Please provide input. Thank you very much.

Return to Top
#385667 - 07/20/05 04:19 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Swiggles,
This is from the preamble to the final rule published 3/18/03:

9(b) Form of ECOA Notice and Statement of Specific Reasons
9(b)(2) Statement of Specific Reasons
Section 202.9(b)(2), adopted as proposed, clarifies that whether a creditor’s denial of credit is based on the creditworthiness of the applicant, a joint applicant, or guarantor, the reasons for adverse action must be specific. For example, a general statement that ‘‘the guarantor did not meet the creditor’s standards of creditworthiness’’ is insufficient.

The legislative history of the requirement to provide specific reasons for adverse action indicates that the purposes of the disclosure are to help achieve the anti-discrimination goals of the ECOA and to educate and inform consumers. These dual purposes are served by the clarification in § 202.9(b)(2). For example, the disclosure may discourage a creditor from discriminating based on a coapplicant’s or guarantor’s race, sex, age, or other prohibited basis. Also, the disclosure may help educate and inform applicants, co-applicants, or guarantors as to reasons for denial that are not
apparent from looking at their credit report.

Many commenters were concerned about the co-applicant’s or guarantor’s privacy when the reasons for adverse action pertaining to creditworthiness are given to the primary applicant. When a person agrees to be a co-applicant, guarantor, or similar party, however, there is (or should be) a general understanding that information will be shared. Accordingly, the rule has been adopted as proposed.

Here’s what actually changed - the bolded section was added:

2) Statement of specific reasons. The statement of reasons for adverse action required by paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section must be specific and indicate the principal reason(s) for the adverse action. Statements that the adverse action was based on the creditor’s internal standards or policies or that the applicant, joint applicant, or similar party failed to achieve a qualifying score on the creditor’s credit scoring system are insufficient .

Return to Top
#385668 - 07/20/05 04:33 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
So you are saying just to spit out all the reasons for denial, both applicant and guarantor, on the same form and leave them to their own devices to figure out what's what? And the regulators want disclosures to be clear and meaningful? Sheesh!

And thus you would include the FCRA notice and credit bureau information to both even though the denial of one party might not have anything to do with information on a credit report?

I am definitely confused because this issue defies reason. Am I understanding your answer correctly?

Return to Top
#385669 - 07/20/05 04:50 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
Also, don't forget under Reg B you only need to give the notice to the primary applicant. Under FCRA, you don't need to give any notice to a guarantor. See the Stinneford FTC staff opinion letter: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/stinneford.htm

Return to Top
#385670 - 07/20/05 04:52 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
I should have said you don't need to give the FCRA "Adverse Action" notice to a guarantor. Without checking each provision, I'm not sure about the rest of the disclosures that are now required because of FACTA.

Return to Top
#385671 - 07/20/05 06:26 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
It's me again...disgruntled compliance officer....same subject. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but....how would you answer the below question regarding this scenario:

Applicant applies and is denied. Bank gives applicant written combined ECOA/FCRA notice giving reasons for adverse action and also issues a counteroffer requesting a guarantor. Applicant comes back to the bank, guarantor in tow. Bank checks guarantor's credit. It stinks.

Now, what information goes on the adverse action form given to the applicant? Our software allows us to indicate that the guarantor is not acceptable, or that the guarantor does not bank with us (a loan policy requirement). This is not allowed?

According to the FTC letter, the guarantor would only receive the FCRA notice.

Thanks to all who are trying to help me with this.

Return to Top
#385672 - 07/20/05 06:44 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would send an AAN to the primary applicant again stating why they don't qualify as well as the reasons the co-signer didn't qualify. We added check boxes beside the denial reasons as well as the FCRA notice to indicate whether it applied to "applicant", "co-applicant" or "co-signer". I would then send an AAN to the co-signer (in order to provide the FCRA notice) and only indicate the reasons they (the co-signer) didn't qualify.

Return to Top
#385673 - 07/20/05 07:32 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

I would send an AAN to the primary applicant again stating why they don't qualify as well as the reasons the co-signer didn't qualify. We added check boxes beside the denial reasons as well as the FCRA notice to indicate whether it applied to "applicant", "co-applicant" or "co-signer". I would then send an AAN to the co-signer (in order to provide the FCRA notice) and only indicate the reasons they (the co-signer) didn't qualify.

Thanx, anon. The problem is....we don't type these forms by hand. Our loan decision software spits'em out. There's no flexibility for adding additional checkboxes. What you see is what you get. The software sends identical notices to all parties based on information on all parties.

Return to Top
#385674 - 07/20/05 08:45 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Swiggles-do you have a section for "other" that maybe you could note which reasons apply to which borrower?

Return to Top
#385675 - 07/21/05 07:46 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Swiggles,
I believe 202.9(2) requires you to tell your applicant the reason the other party did not qualify. You cannot just say that they did not qualify. So your example of saying "guarantor does not meet our credit standards" is not sufficient.

I understand your frustration, but I'm sure this isn't the first time you've had to choose form over substance in order to meet the technical requirements of a regulation.

Return to Top
#385676 - 07/21/05 08:26 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
OK, then...back to my original post where I mentioned looking at a BOL Tool dated 05/03....it's still out there if you want look too. It indicates that, where there are two applicants or a guarantor, that the preparer should check the "other" box and and indicate "Credit history of the co-applicant" or "Credit history of the Guarantor."

So you are saying this is incorrect?

Thank you for helping to get all this sorted out.

Return to Top
#385677 - 07/21/05 08:46 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
No, I think that statement is accurate. Saying "credit history of the co-applicant" or "credit history of the guarantor" is a specific reason, IMO, while saying "guarantor does not meet bank's standards" is not.

You have to tell the primary applicant the specific reason the co-applicant (or guarantor) did not qualify.

Return to Top
#385678 - 07/21/05 08:58 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK.....I think that will work. I have found that I'm really dense on this subject!!....but did not realize it until we changed software companies.

Return to Top
#385679 - 07/21/05 09:00 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

OK.....I think that will work. I have found that I'm really dense on this subject!!....but did not realize it until we changed software companies.

Well heck! How did I get logged off? The above was from me.

Return to Top
#385680 - 07/21/05 09:06 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
sansan Offline
100 Club
The hat rack
We do not issue counteroffers where we have to review additional credit criteria. We were told that this is unacceptable practice to counteroffer to require a co-signer and then find out that we cannot offer the loan since the co-signer, guarantor or other party did not strengthen the risk.
Last edited by sansan; 07/21/05 09:07 PM.
Return to Top
#385681 - 07/21/05 09:26 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Well, let's face it - it isn't exactly intuitive!

Return to Top
#385682 - 07/22/05 12:48 AM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

So you are saying just to spit out all the reasons for denial, both applicant and guarantor, on the same form and leave them to their own devices to figure out what's what? And the regulators want disclosures to be clear and meaningful? Sheesh!

And thus you would include the FCRA notice and credit bureau information to both even though the denial of one party might not have anything to do with information on a credit report?

I am definitely confused because this issue defies reason. Am I understanding your answer correctly?

That's the answer as I understand it. I know some banks have taken the extra step of identifing each applicant by initials or a number (#1, #2, etc.) and indicating the intial or number next to each decline reason as a way for folks to sort it out.

Blessedly, the regulation does not go that far ....(yet!)

IMHO - When people apply for the same credit, they have a right to know how lousy the credit is of the person for whom they would have become obligated.

It has also been my experience that people with bad credit (unless they are a victim of ID Theft) KNOW that they have bad credit. In addition, the FCRA notice gives them the right to obtain a free copy of their credit report, and if they weren't able to figure out what was wrong before, they should be able to after reviewing their report.

Return to Top
#385683 - 07/22/05 01:50 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles

Thank you for your comments.

Quote:

That's the answer as I understand it. I know some banks have taken the extra step of identifing each applicant by initials or a number (#1, #2, etc.) and indicating the intial or number next to each decline reason as a way for folks to sort it out.

We are simply too big to go to that extreme....having forms tinkered with by hand. And if it's not required, you won't find software that will do it. I guess we'll just carry on.....

Quote:

Blessedly, the regulation does not go that far ....(yet!)

And when it does, the software vendors will jump on board...and charge more for the extra work!

Quote:

It has also been my experience that people with bad credit (unless they are a victim of ID Theft) KNOW that they have bad credit. In addition, the FCRA notice gives them the right to obtain a free copy of their credit report, and if they weren't able to figure out what was wrong before, they should be able to after reviewing their report.

Yep...we have a current situation where we declined someone who had every type of bad credit known to man on the credit report. Yet, the person thinks we've disciminated and cannot understand why we would not make the loan. It's crazy.

Thanks to all. This has been a simply maaaavelous discussion.

Return to Top
#385684 - 07/22/05 03:16 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Yep...we have a current situation where we declined someone who had every type of bad credit known to man on the credit report. Yet, the person thinks we've disciminated and cannot understand why we would not make the loan. It's crazy.

I suspect that it's not so much that this person thinks you discriminated, but that this person is desparate and figures if he or she makes a big enough stink, you'll cave in.

Return to Top
#385685 - 07/22/05 03:38 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

I suspect that it's not so much that this person thinks you discriminated, but that this person is desparate and figures if he or she makes a big enough stink, you'll cave in.

Little do they know that banks do not cave in.....especially for stinky people.

I wonder why they don't get a loan from one of those cash places?.....probably because they know that when they don't pay it back, someone will come out and break their knee caps.

Return to Top
#385686 - 07/22/05 04:59 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Little do they know that banks do not cave in.....especially for stinky people.

I wonder why they don't get a loan from one of those cash places?.....probably because they know that when they don't pay it back, someone will come out and break their knee caps.

Reminds me a cartoon I saw a long time ago. A mobster type person is sitting behind a desk. Next to him is a rather large fellow with a baseball bat. In front of the mobster is a meek looking person. The caption on the cartoon read:

And in compliance with Truth-In-Lending regulations, I must inform you that if you fail to repay this loan, my associate here will break your face.

Now THAT'S a disclosure anyone can understand!!!!!

Return to Top
#385687 - 07/22/05 05:04 PM Re: FCRA & ECOA Notices - Adverse Action
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Well...he was lending and telling the truth...that's for sure.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z