Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#386485 - 07/15/05 06:48 PM Call Blocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone familiar with a home telephone caller ID and blocking product called "Caller ID Manager?"

We receive pest calls from time to time that are not the telemarketing calls covered under the "Do Not Call" rules, but instead are apparently just individuals. And they're not obscene, etc., just annoying. We tried the "call block" service of our local telephone company but found that they will only block a call in our same area code, which is not where the calls come from.

So we're trying to find some kind of device that we can attach to our home telephone and program it to do the blocking so our phone won't ring when calls come in from such numbers.

Return to Top
#386486 - 07/15/05 06:57 PM Re: Call Blocking
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
There's usually a cord attaching the phone to the wall. I've found that if I disconnect the cord, i block most of the calls.

Return to Top
#386487 - 07/15/05 06:57 PM Re: Call Blocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

P. S. We have a Telezapper machine, but it only blocks "computer-dialed" calls, not manually-dialed calls.

Return to Top
#386488 - 07/15/05 07:16 PM Re: Call Blocking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

There's usually a cord attaching the phone to the wall. I've found that if I disconnect the cord, i block most of the calls.

I just turn the ringer off, and only call out. If it is an emergency, those that are important have my cell #.

Return to Top
#386489 - 07/15/05 07:21 PM Re: Call Blocking
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
My cell phone is set to have callers that are not recognized in my phone book sent directly to voicemail. Most telemarketers and wrong numbers don't leave messages

Return to Top
#386490 - 07/15/05 09:30 PM Re: Call Blocking
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
We have an unlisted number. Family calls us on the cell. We might get 5 calls a month at home ... and most are wrong numbers

Return to Top
#386491 - 07/15/05 09:36 PM Re: Call Blocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have the same guy for a motorcycle shop once a week! He is pretty funny though so we don't give him much crap.

Return to Top
#386492 - 07/16/05 12:14 PM Re: Call Blocking
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
What about those calls that are computer generated I think anyhow and sound like a fax when you pick up? Those are SO annoying at 12, 1, 2 and even 3 in the morning! At times I want to throw the phone across the floor. Under normal conditions I just keep the phone off the hook until I leave for work.

Return to Top
#386493 - 07/18/05 01:57 PM Re: Call Blocking
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Sign up for Do Not Call, both federal and state if there is one. We did and our calls have been limited to companies we have a relationship with or surveys or charities (all of which are allowed under the law). Trust me, it's worth it!

Return to Top
#386494 - 07/18/05 02:26 PM Re: Call Blocking
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

P. S. We have a Telezapper machine, but it only blocks "computer-dialed" calls, not manually-dialed calls.

I bought my dad the telezapper for father's day before the do not call list came out. He loves it, it stopped a ton of calls.

Return to Top
#386495 - 07/18/05 02:34 PM Re: Call Blocking
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Quote:

Sign up for Do Not Call, both federal and state if there is one. We did and our calls have been limited to companies we have a relationship with or surveys or charities (all of which are allowed under the law). Trust me, it's worth it!

It's the same with us. We are on the Federal and State no call list and for the most part the only calls (outside family and friends) that we get are those with the existing business relationship and charity calls.

Return to Top
#386496 - 07/18/05 02:52 PM Re: Call Blocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was under the impression that the Do Not Call rules only apply to businesses doing telemarketing. Our problem calls are apparently coming from individuals that I don't think are covered by this law. Am I wrong about this?

Return to Top
#386497 - 07/18/05 04:22 PM Re: Call Blocking
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
The Do Not Call rules don't apply to one individual who is calling another individual. If these calls are being made to annoy you, try calling your telephone vendor provider. They should have a special department that handles this.

Return to Top
#386498 - 07/18/05 05:40 PM Re: Call Blocking
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

I bought my dad the telezapper for father's day before the do not call list came out. He loves it, it stopped a ton of calls.

I have a different type of telezapper.

Telemarketer: Hi, I'm pitching a random product...
Chi: *begins talking quietly*
Telemarketer: I'm sorry, I cannot hear you, please speak up (as they turn up the volume)
Chi: *continues talking quietly*
Telemarketer: I'm sorry, I cannot hear you, please speak up (as they turn up the volume)
Chi: *quietly* can you hear me now?
Telemarketer: Yes, I just turned up the volume on the phone.
Chi: *blows airhorn into the phone*.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett