Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Thread Options
#386844 - 07/26/05 10:18 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
The horcrux could be something from Sirius' house, remember when Harry ran into that guy? He saw all the stuff that had been stolen.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#386845 - 07/26/05 10:20 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Wasn't it Mudungus Fletcher that he ran into? He was part of the Order.

Return to Top
#386846 - 07/26/05 10:37 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

This conversation is worse than the "Lord of the Rings" threads from a few months ago!

Return to Top
#386847 - 07/27/05 12:36 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think in the 10 years between when we last see LV (after killing the old lady for the locket and cup) and when he shows up to DD's door, that he has completed almost all of the horecruxes... notice how harry describes him... almost blurry... his eyes are permently blood shot, but not the snake eyes they'll become... his nose is slit like. he's not the once handsome tom riddle... he has distorted his soul so much that he has physically begun to break down.
and in that meeting DD askes LV to tell him why he's really there, it has nothing to do with a teaching job and they both know it. so what had he come for? his final item to make the 7th horecrux?

Return to Top
#386848 - 07/27/05 12:40 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Mud was a memeber of the order... not because he was a noble person but because he knew all kinds of folks in the underworld if you will... he's their huggy bear :P
i wonder what DD's brother was trying to buy from Mud... (DD's brother is the barman at hogs head... that's why, when he tells LV who all is waiting for him at the bar, he says something like it helps to know the barman.)

Return to Top
#386849 - 07/27/05 12:46 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I agree with skye - I think all the horcruxes (or possibly all but one) were completed in those 10 years. Even though DD says that it would be inadvisable to use an animal as a horcrux, I think that LV's snakelike appearance points to Nagini as a definite.

I'm still confused about the number 7. When he mentions to Slughorn that 7 would be the perfect number of horcruxes, does he mean splitting his soul into a total of 7 pieces (including himself), or does he mean 7 horcruxes in addition to himself?

Return to Top
#386850 - 07/27/05 01:52 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
I think he meant 7 total, including himself because while he is still alive, he has a soul.

Return to Top
#386851 - 07/27/05 02:23 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think my semantics are off - can he himself BE a horcrux? He specifically mentioned 7 horcruxes. I'm questioning whether or not he himself counts as one.

Return to Top
#386852 - 07/27/05 04:32 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
actually he mentions the #7 and then is interrupted by slughorn... so we can't be sure if he meant 7 total (with him) or what would be 8 pieces (7 horcurx and himself) i think it is the former... he must always keep one piece within himself, so that would be #7 working backwards.
#6: nagini- snake (which on a reread, DD thinks was done when LV killed frank bryce (Goblet)
#5: ?
#4: hufflepuff cup
#3: locket
#2: ring
#1: diary

Return to Top
#386853 - 07/27/05 06:32 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
I was surprised and disappointed that Neville took such a back seat in book 6. He had such an important part in 5 and was mentioned in the prophesy. I expected a lot more of him, with his new wand and all the confidence he had gained in book 5, but instead they made him into a third rate character like Luna Lovegood.

I know Neville is pure-blood. Is Luna Lovegood pure-blood?

Return to Top
#386854 - 07/27/05 06:41 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
Quote:

#5: ?
#4: hufflepuff cup
#3: locket
#2: ring
#1: diary

skye2477,

I think the diary has to be book #2 and the locket has to be book #5 as they were mentioned in those books. I would put the ring in book #6 as that is were it is first mentioned. Nagini the snake I think is first mentioned in book 4.

So this is what I see:

Book 1
Book 2 Book
Book 3
Book 4 Nagini- snake
Book 5 locket
book 6 Ring
Book 7 LV

So the Hufflepuff cup has to be mentioned in book 1 or 3

Return to Top
#386855 - 07/27/05 10:08 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
no no i meant the order they were created... not the books they come from.

Return to Top
#386856 - 07/28/05 02:21 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Michelle is doing it by book because JK said that one horcrux is introduced in each book. I'm rereading 1 right now looking for just that.

Note: JK's writing style has sure come a long way from book 1. I get the feeling of tippytoes reading 1 compared to the way she wrote 6.

Return to Top
#386857 - 07/28/05 02:21 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
somehow I got logged out. The last is mine.

Return to Top
#386858 - 07/28/05 10:00 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
Here are my guesses:

SS - Voldemort on Quirrell's head (not a horcrux but actual 1/7 of Voldemort)
Chamber - Diary (destroyed)
Azkaban - ?
Goblet of Fire - Nagini ?
Phoenix - Locket (?)
HBP - Ring (destroyed)
Book 7 - Hufflepuff cup?

Two are definitely destroyed and we don't know about the locket yet. So looks like Harry has three or four to find and destroy before taking on Voldemort. (Lots of action for Book 7.) I think DD told Harry in HBP that he had 4 to find.

And if memory serves (Ha!) I think DD told Harry in P of Azkaban that he will be glad he spared Wormtail's life one day, so maybe Wormtail will be instrumental in Harry's success.

Got to read Azkaban again. I hate not being able to figure something out.

Return to Top
#386859 - 07/28/05 02:01 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:

SS - Voldemort on Quirrell's head (not a horcrux but actual 1/7 of Voldemort)

Donna, I was thinking about that this morning! I finished rereading SS yesterday and started CoS last night. I was specifically looking for anything that could possibly point to a horcrux, and the disembodied LV is the only thing I could come up with. Hagrid's comment of, "Don't know if there's enough human left in him to die" would support that theory, I think. We know that LV was a trophy hunter and that he hid his trophies in places that carried some sort of sentimental value (if we can call it that) for him, so I think we'll see Harry have to visit some places from LV's past.

Re: Wormtail - do you think that DD meant that by sparing his life Harry was preserving his own soul? He makes it very clear in all the books that Harry's primary weapon/defense against LV is his capability to love, and in HBP we learn that killing another person damages your soul. Would the damage done by killing Wormtail have weakened him against LV?

Return to Top
#386860 - 07/28/05 02:19 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
Is it possible that Wormtail's new hand is a horcrux? He had just killed Cedric...just a thought

Return to Top
#386861 - 07/28/05 07:52 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Blind Guardian, the reason HP has to go back to his Aunt and Uncle is because at birth a charm was put on their house that protects Harry, it's in book 5 (I just reread it, can't believe how much I forgot). Anywas Harry has to reside there for a while each year for the protection to take place. In book 6 when his uncle wants to throw him out remember DD (Ithink) comes and talks to the aunt and she tells the uncle that HP is staying. Thats because she was reminded of the charm and her vowing to allow HP to live there until he turned 17.

Return to Top
#386862 - 07/28/05 08:31 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:

Is it possible that Wormtail's new hand is a horcrux? He had just killed Cedric...just a thought

I think we're going to find out that all the horcruxes were completed before LV disappeared (after killing Harry's parents). Like MHJr, I just don't see how he would have had the strength or resources to create any more after that?

Return to Top
#386863 - 07/28/05 08:49 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

My theory on Snape is also that he was in love with Lily. I too remember when James and Sirius are torturing him and Lily stops them--even though Snape, I believe made a nasty comment to Lily. That is why I believe DD thought Snape's repetence and regret were genuine--his actions led to the death of the woman he loved. Also remember that Voldemort offered to spare Lily? Why? Why would someone as psycho as V care if he spared Lily? Not sure why V would care at all, but if he knew Snape had some affection for her? I think Snape killed DD on DD's own orders--and yes, DD charmed Harry so that HP wouldn't interfere--DD knew what was coming.

I also think it was very significant that Snape didn't harm anyone else from the Order or the school. Also remember as he was leaving, he made pointed comments to Harry about his abilities as an occlumens and casting spells nonverbally; I believe these were hints, if you will, on areas Harry must master before he tackles LV. I think Snape was ordered by DD to help Harry kill LV when the time comes.

Since this all started as a children's story, I can't help but believe Harry will be successful in killing LV and he will survive. In the final book though, I'm sure some major characters will have to be killed off--I don't want to speculate on who. I hope not Ginny, Ron, or Hermione but Rowling is so full of twists and surprises, who knows?

And yes, I also think R.A.B. must be Regulus. The casual mention of him in Book 6 is almost a guarantee that he has a bigger role in book 7. Can't wait 2 years!

Return to Top
#386864 - 07/28/05 10:41 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
What about Harry's wand? They mentioned in the first books that only 2 wands were made of the same "stuff" and that they other belongs to a person that we do not speak of; Voldemort.

I wander how this is going to come into play.

Return to Top
#386865 - 07/29/05 01:13 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
And that "stuff" is a phoenix feather...maybe from Fawkes. The whole notion of phoenix and rising from the ashes causes one to ponder if HP too will "die" and rise again? It is, after all, magic.

Return to Top
#386866 - 07/29/05 12:55 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i wonder about the wands too... perhaps as harry is going back to godric's hollow, he could find his mothers old wand (notice it was mentioned notonly in ss, but other times as well and it was good at charm work...)
i have just finished rereading HBP, very slowing so that i caught everything i could. i really, truly, and no one will convince me otherwise (unless JK does:( ), believe that snape is on our side... it all comes down to faith... faith in DD, faith in Snape, faith in Harry, another word for faith is trust... which is brought up many many time in HBP... the future of the wizarding world will rely on trust.

also go back and reread the scene with DD and Harry and the potion... what do you think DD is talking about? i think he is reliving or repeating some memory from the past... who's????

Return to Top
#386867 - 07/29/05 05:52 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Where the heck is MountainHawk Jr when I need her? I still have this theory percolating that Harry might be a horcrux from when LV tried to kill him as a baby and apparently transferred some of his powers...

Return to Top
#386868 - 07/29/05 06:14 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I've wondered if Fawkes provided the feathers for those wands, too.

Speaking of Fawkes - I think we'll see him come back to Harry in 7 with a very important role. In CoS, DD makes it a point to stress to Harry that phoenixes make "very faithful pets." Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Return to Top
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13