Learn More - Click Here!

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Thread Options
#386894 - 08/02/05 04:35 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
In HBP, when Harry was trying to get Slughorn's memory down in Hagrid's hut, they drank to elf made wine.

Have we met any elf's yet in any on the books?

Would they be on our side or LV?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#386895 - 08/02/05 08:24 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Probably the house elves made it, Michelle.

Return to Top
#386896 - 08/02/05 08:30 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
Duh!

I heard elves when I was listening to the CD in the car and picture something with wings. You know, like Lord of the Rings?

Return to Top
#386897 - 08/02/05 08:33 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
if we're going to cross LOTR elves with HP - I wouldn't mind seeing Orlando Bloom in a blond wig smashing grapes for wine......

Return to Top
#386898 - 08/02/05 08:37 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Lady Godiva Offline
New Poster
Hey! this is my first post! One thing i wanted to note, that when Rowling gave the desc. of the MoM, she never said ANYWHERE that it was a definite description of the HBP; she was just giving us a window into part of the text of the book, not a concrete example of who the HBP would be. I don't think Rowling would ever make it THAT easy for her readers to figure out an important character's identity - you have to read the books for yourselves to figure stuff out! So, i think Snape is definitely who we're talking about here.

Return to Top
#386899 - 08/02/05 08:42 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Becca, you're a girl after my own heart!

LG, MoM?

Return to Top
#386900 - 08/02/05 08:51 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
MoM = Minister of Magic

Return to Top
#386901 - 08/02/05 08:57 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thanks, hermione. Obviously having a brain freeze moment there!

Return to Top
#386902 - 08/02/05 08:59 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
OK, now I'm confused. What description of the MoM does Rowling give and why would it affect our perception of the HBP? Did I miss something important? If you mean the description she gives in book 6 of the new MoM (lion-like, etc.), I'm not sure how that ties across to Harry's potions book?

Return to Top
#386903 - 08/02/05 09:01 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Becca, see Skye's post on page 1.

Return to Top
#386904 - 08/03/05 01:35 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

im wondering about the bloody baron... why is he covered in blood and why can he control peeves. I was also wondering if what Dumbledore said at the feast in the 1st book is an anagram... Nitwit,Blubber,Oddment,Tweak..?
Curious on everyone's suggestions.

Return to Top
#386905 - 08/03/05 01:40 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whoops.. forgot to mention some other poinys i noticed in the first book too..I noticed Blaise Zabini is mentioned and is part of the Slug Club in #6, Im wonding if this is somehow important?? Also, on pg.128 in SS Dumbledore says, after singing the school song,"Ah, music, a magic beyond all we do here!" One last thing- in the book SS HP mentions that he feels like Snape can read minds but it isn't later until we find out he actually can!! Again, just dropping some things i noticed and wondering about everyone's thoughts.

Return to Top
#386906 - 08/03/05 02:44 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
ANAGRAM!!! I thought it was a silly attempt at humor. Harry's too scared and overwhelmed at that point to even remember what was said. I doubt even JK would put something important in a place where Harry probably didn't even register it.

Return to Top
#386907 - 08/03/05 01:12 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Harry did register it. At the funeral in book 6, someone mentions something about "saying a few words" and Harry flashes back to that first feast in SS when DD's "idea of a few words was..."

Maybe that's the clue we've been missing?

Return to Top
#386908 - 08/03/05 03:38 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Do you think Aunt Petunia will play any role in #7?

Return to Top
#386909 - 08/03/05 04:01 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think Petunia has a considerable role that we haven't been shown yet. When they almost threw Harry out, DD sent P a nasty letter reminding her of a promise she'd made. Do you think he had her make an unbreakable vow when H was a baby?

Return to Top
#386910 - 08/03/05 04:41 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
oooohhhhh good call Becca. i never thought of that, but it would make a lot of sense that she took such a vow. i mean if it wasn't for that they would have thrown him out years ago... i think there is a lot more to good ole petunia...

Return to Top
#386911 - 08/03/05 04:43 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
it is interesting that harry does recall DD's words from SS, though i don't know it means anything or not... but i will say that JK tends to mean something if it is mentioned more than once, even if it seems like it's random.

Return to Top
#386912 - 08/03/05 05:36 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
For those of you wondering if DD is really dead, here is a web site you should check out.

Dumbledore is not dead

Several theories on what happened to Dumbledore and what will happen next.

Return to Top
#386913 - 08/03/05 05:46 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
and all this time I thought DD stood for Daisy Duke ? ?

Return to Top
#386914 - 08/03/05 06:20 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
What a great site, ZD! I'll definitely have to do some reading on there from home tonight.

Somewhere earlier in this thread it was mentioned that 6 is the only book not to have begun on Privet Drive - that's not true. Book 4 (GoF) begins in the Riddle House in Little Hangleton. That's where we meet Frank Byce (the old gardener) and LV kills him. JKR goes into great detail about the house's history and how no family has lived in it very long since the murders because the house "has an odd feeling" to it, but that "some wealthy gentleman keeps it empty now for tax reasons." LV made his horcruxes out of personal trophies and hid them in places of personal significance. What are the odds that the HOUSE is our missing horcrux, or at the very least is harboring it?

Return to Top
#386915 - 08/03/05 08:13 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
MountainhawkJR Offline
New Poster
faraway from bankingland
Quote:

Book 4 (GoF) begins in the Riddle House in Little Hangleton. That's where we meet Frank Byce (the old gardener) and LV kills him. JKR goes into great detail about the house's history and how no family has lived in it very long since the murders because the house "has an odd feeling" to it, but that "some wealthy gentleman keeps it empty now for tax reasons." LV made his horcruxes out of personal trophies and hid them in places of personal significance. What are the odds that the HOUSE is our missing horcrux, or at the very least is harboring it?

What a great thought! I bet we end up back at that house before book 7 is finished - though I still sort of wonder if Nagini is the horcrux from that book. She is, after all, in the house and kills that muggle for LV because the muggle overhears some talk. It's been a long time since I've read that one - does anyone know if Harry actually knows about that opening scene, maybe through a dream or something? I can't remember and I won't get a chance to read the book for a week or so...

Return to Top
#386916 - 08/03/05 08:28 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
MountainhawkJR Offline
New Poster
faraway from bankingland
Quote:

I'm still not clear on the how and why a death was necessary to create a horcrux. A truly dasterly deed was necessary to allow the soul to split? More than that, why would anyone WANT to split their soul into multiple pieces? So there'd always be something left? A bit of discussion might help clear this up for me and maybe some of the rest of us too.

thanks!

Slughorn explains to Riddle in 6 in that when one commits a murder, the act is so horrific that it actually splits the soul (murder is the only thing he mentions that could do that, if memory serves). The magician could then create a horcrux by taking the split off portion of soul and storing it in another object, for safekeeping if you'd want to call it that. That way, when said magician's body was destroyed, his soul would still survive, as though his consciousness merely shifted to the part of his soul stashed somewhere else. LV seems to have been the only magician who ever tried to do this more than once, and DD theorized that there were 7 total pieces to LV's soul. LV would have wanted 7 because it's a significant number in the magical arena. As for WHY LV would want to do this - 1) it makes him much closer to being immortal than he would otherwise be, something he seems to want; and 2) it's Voldemort. I'm not sure there are any limits to the atrocities he's capable of... I'm not sure splitting his soul that many times would phase him in the least if it helped him accomplish his goals...

What I've just started wondering is if there's only LV "himself" and 5 other horcruxes to worry about, rather than 6 - the avada curse is powerful enough that when it ricocheted and hit LV, I'm guessing it probably killed whatever part of his soul was currently residing in his body. This would explain some of the pain he mentioned in GoF, and then his consciousness would shift to a different horcrux. So as far as horcruxes go, we'd have the book (destoryed), the locket (found if not already destroyed), the ring (destroyed), and then only 2 others to worry about, rather than 3. What do people think about this?

Return to Top
#386917 - 08/03/05 09:03 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:

It's been a long time since I've read that one - does anyone know if Harry actually knows about that opening scene, maybe through a dream or something? I can't remember and I won't get a chance to read the book for a week or so...

Harry sees it happen in his sleep. The first chapter of GoF ends with Harry waking up because of a searing pain in his scar and he's trying to remember this "dream." I find it very odd that throughout GoF, whenever Harry visits LV's thoughts (a result of LV's legilimency and the connection between his own powers and Harry's) he sees things in the third person or else from Nagini's perspective. The only time he see's events through LV's eyes is the false vision of Sirius being tortured that LV intentionally sends him.

Quote:

his soul would still survive, as though his consciousness merely shifted to the part of his soul stashed somewhere else

Does his consciousness actually shift or will his consciousness merely persist (disembodied) while some portion of his soul is still harbored in a horcrux? In SS, Harry does battle with LV's essence which is sharing Quirrell's body. The whole of SS, CoS, and PoA sees LV's desperate struggle to regain physical form - which he finally accomplishes in GoF. I think that these fractions of soul and his conscious self are two separate entities, and that the one may only survive while the others exist. Would you agree?

Return to Top
#386918 - 08/04/05 03:43 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Re: Petunia - I don't think a Muggle can take the unbreakable vow. DD put 15 yrs of magic on the Dursley house when he took Harry there. Remember, it expires on his 17th birthday. I can't find the quote right now but didn't he rely on the fact the Petunia feels blood ties to Harry because of her sister? I'll try to find the passage and post it tomorrow. Beyond letting HP back once more, IMO the Dursleys are pretty much out of it.

FWIW, Becca's ideas about the house are intreging. As I reread GoF, I'll try to see if I can pick up more. Of course, if we wait till November, the clues will HAVE to be in the movie and might be easier to spot.

If the ricocheted curse killed whatever was left in LV at that point...what happened next? Did another part magically come to "life"? If it was in a horcrux, how would it get out. Guess I'm having trouble with your theory, JR.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13