BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Thread Options
#386969 - 08/12/05 05:59 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
perhaps he was begining to work out the horecurx... since it is during the summer between 5 and 6 that DD destroys the ring...

as to the interview: go to www.mugglenet.com and look for the interview with JK it's in 3 parts and well well worth a close read

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#386970 - 08/12/05 06:16 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
Has anyone suggested that the necklace Katie Bell touched might be one of the missing horecurxes? Obviously it has powerful magic to protect it. I'd have to re-read book 2 when Harry travels by floo powder the first time. The necklace is also mentioned there.

Return to Top
#386971 - 08/12/05 07:24 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
it's possible, but i think it's danger was in that it was cursed to begin with and was draco's first attempt a killing DD.

Return to Top
#386972 - 08/13/05 01:26 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had the same thought about Harry being the 6th horcrux ... After all Harry was present when Voldemort killed two people. Killing someone is the prerequisite for splitting Voldemorts soul. He would have had two pieces of soul floating around to use. If it is true, then what does it mean. Does Harry have to die for Voldemort to be completely destroyed? The one thing I think that may mean he can't be a Horcrux is that when Quirrell touched him in HP1, Quirrell got burned and DD told Harry " Your mother died to save you. if there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves it own mark. Not a scar , no visible sign ... to have been loved so deelply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin." So if Harry is marked by love, could Voldemort's horcrux co-inhabit ... I'm not sure.

Return to Top
#386973 - 08/13/05 02:01 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think that while killing does split ones soul i think it has to be a willful act to create a horcrux, if not then all the DE's would have horcruxes left and right.

Return to Top
#386974 - 08/13/05 04:31 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
IMO, Harry's not a horcrux. A horcrux is a thing capable of holding a piece of soul. Even if the snake is a horcrux, it doesn't have it's own soul. Harry does.

Return to Top
#386975 - 08/14/05 07:39 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
bucket Offline
100 Club
bucket
TX- east and north
This may be a little far fetched...

Just wondering...why did Quirrel die the way he did? He was kinda destroyed, wasn't he? Could HE have been a horcrux? I'm open to any thoughts and suggestions here.

Return to Top
#386976 - 08/15/05 01:18 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
no, i don't think so. LV mentions later on in the series that possesing a body (animal or human) quickly drains them of their life... so when Harry touched him and therefore LV it just kind of sped up the process... at least that's how i read it.
the theory is that each book reveals 1 part of LV's 7...
so the first book is thought to show what is left of the soul that was still in LV when he was done in by harry 10 years earlier... so the 2nd book shows the first actual horcrux. (the diary)

Return to Top
#386977 - 08/15/05 01:34 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
What about the invisibility cloak?
Did we find out who gave it to Harry?

Return to Top
#386978 - 08/15/05 01:43 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Didn't DD admit to returning James' cloak to Harry? I can't remember exactly.

Return to Top
#386979 - 08/15/05 02:08 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
DD tells Harry at the end of SS/PS that James left the cloak with DD shortly before he died, and that DD thought Harry might like to have it, and that it might be "useful".

Return to Top
#386980 - 08/15/05 03:20 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
OK - so what we have so far:

1 - LV himself in disembodied spirit
2 - Diary
3 - ?
4 - Nagini the snake
5 - Locket
6 - Ring

I've now reread the first 5 and still can't come up with anything significant that we're introduced to in 3. Any ideas?

Return to Top
#386981 - 08/15/05 03:40 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Aren't there 6 horcruxs and then LV? So, imo, LV himself isn't the horcrux in 1. DD tells Harry in 6 that there 4 more and then LV himself. If we assume the locket horcrux has been destroyed as have the diary and the ring, and that Nagini is a horcrux, what are the other two?

Return to Top
#386982 - 08/15/05 04:11 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
I have to agree with Becca on the Horcruxes so far. LV is what is introduced in 1. I am rereading 3 - but can't think of anything there. I think the other missing horcrux will be introduced in 7, and will either be the Hufflepuff Cup or something else from Hogwarts.

Return to Top
#386983 - 08/15/05 04:40 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think becca's on the right track... i need to go back and reread POA. what ever it is, i imagine it will seem insignificant in the structure of POA, but will have perhaps was of historical significance...
Last edited by skye2477; 08/15/05 04:40 PM.

Return to Top
#386984 - 08/15/05 06:32 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
MountainhawkJR Offline
New Poster
faraway from bankingland
I've been rereading all the HP books, and had a strange realization while finishing CoS (forgive me if this has already been covered)... in terms of the horcrux in the diary, that fraction of LV's soul almost managed to re-create a body for him, but we know that another fraction of LV's soul was already active, in the disembodied spirit in SS. The fraction of LV in the diary seems to have no knowledge that there's another fraction out there, and LV never mentions, at the end of GoF, anything about the whole Tom Riddle/diary episode. It's like LV has no idea that anything happened with it, or that that fraction has been destroyed. It's simply not part of his consciousness. The point of this long-winded explanation is that I'm starting to wonder if there's a possibility that more than one of the horcruxes could be "activated" (or whatever word you'd want to use there) simultaneously... I'd love to know what people think of this, if I'm making sense and all that....

Return to Top
#386985 - 08/15/05 06:51 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Yes, you make sense, and it's a very interesting theory! I was wondering why LV didn't seem to know about the ring and diary being destroyed or the locket having been stolen. So do you think that each piece of soul retains some form of separate consciousness? Do you think we're looking at potentially 7 part-Voldemorts out there running around?

Return to Top
#386986 - 08/15/05 11:28 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
OMG, JR, that's a chilling thought! Here's my question, tho, is each part as strong as say, the whole of Harry or rather kind of a neophyte LV? Because LV didn't have enought strength yet, Quirrel had to use his magic on Harry and when he was defeated, all the disembodied LV could do was whoosh through Harry and effectively run away.

Return to Top
#386987 - 08/16/05 12:23 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
toward the end of HBP harry asks DD this exact thing, does LV notice when one of the parts of soul is destroyed. and DD answer is that LV's soul is now is distended and broken that he cannot feel the other parts until perhaps they have all been destoyed and he is mortal once more.

as far as the diary, LV created the diary not only has a horcrux but as also an activation tool for the COS... which is the purpose he gave Malfoy SR for the diary. i doubt LV ever told Malfoy that it also held a piece of his soul too... i don't think he really thought it could be destroyed.

Return to Top
#386988 - 08/16/05 01:26 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
MountainhawkJR Offline
New Poster
faraway from bankingland
Quote:

Do you think we're looking at potentially 7 part-Voldemorts out there running around?

Shudder... I hope not! I had a little crackpot theory going for a while that Harry might accidently unleash a horcrux and create another LV, as it were, and that the two LV's might kill each other off for Harry, but I just don't think that that particular theory is viable at all, or supported by the prophecy. I'm guessing each part must, at this point, retain a separate consciousness - I'm starting a reread of book 5 now but haven't come across anything too helpful yet...

Return to Top
#386989 - 08/16/05 01:39 AM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
MountainhawkJR Offline
New Poster
faraway from bankingland
I"m not sure exactly what book it's first mentioned in, though I think it's PoA - anyway, it is mentioned somewhere that Draco has an eagle owl that makes deliveries of stuff from home, and then later, it is that same species, an eagle owl, that Harry first sees while he's dreaming at the very beginning of GoF. The owl flutters down onto the chair, and from then on, we know that LV is in the chair (that's where his voice comes from, anyway, before he kills the Muggle, Frank), and we don't know what he looks like. I'm not sure where exactly I'm going with this, because I don't think LV was capable of shape-shifting, especially with so little power, but he might have either possessed the owl, or - and this is really the point - maybe the OWL is a horcrux? Maybe that's the horcrux of book 3?

Return to Top
#386990 - 08/16/05 01:06 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Little off track here - a friend and I were discussing these theories last night, and we finally settled on one that neither of us are too happy with. Does anyone else think that Harry will die in 7? JKR firmly insists that 7 will absolutely be the LAST HP book, and we just can't figure out any possible way for Harry to have any sort of "happily ever after." We are wondering if the prophecy's declaration of "neither may live while the other survives" means that they will both die? I've started on my reread of 6, and just can't shake the feeling that we will lose Harry in the last book. I just can't see JRK letting her hero survive.

Return to Top
#386991 - 08/16/05 01:21 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
NY2004 Offline
JK has admitted that she writes using her religious beliefs. As she claims to be a Christian, I think we can look there for clues as to how it ends. In the Bible, Jesus dies, but there is also a resurection. I haven't worked out exactly how this will work for Potter b/c I don't think Harry will be resurected in the same sense, he won't be god like. But it seems liek she has mentioned this a few times for a reason.

Return to Top
#386992 - 08/16/05 01:23 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Especially if the hero was also the embodiment in which lies the seventh portion of Voldemort's soul . . . .

Return to Top
#386993 - 08/16/05 02:42 PM Re: HP6** SPOILER WARNING**
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i don't remember the owl in the begining of GOF... i'll have to find it... there is mention of an eagle owl i think in either COS or OoTP... i doubt LV would take over or take ont he form of an owl, even the malfoys owl... just not his style... nagini seems more his thing...

i think there are strong voices on either side as to whether Harry will live or not. I truly hope he will live, but i'm not sure. remember what DD has said about the prophecy... it is, in many ways, meaningless.. only LV has made it important. either LV or Harry could choose to walk away from it, and it would no longer have power. but because LV chooses to pursure Harry, he must deal with it. the only reason Harry must face down LV is to end it, because he, Harry chooses to. it's all about choice. so i don't know that means that harry has to die.

Return to Top
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13