Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#389302 - 07/21/05 07:33 PM loan doc dates
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've ran this by an attorney; and I'm not buying the response.

Is it acceptable in the lending world consumer, mortgage, or commercial to allow a modification document to be back dated because we're passed the maturity date? Example maturity date 6/30, modification to extend the term only gets approved 7/6, customer comes in on 7/7 and dates the document 7/1 ? The attorney said it's okay to back date as long as it's not to accommodate the borrower and instead is because of the review/approval process, adding that notaries can never back date.

Now, if we're talking about a mortgage refinance with new money, the attorney said it's okay to back date all documents except the ROR.

I can't imagine this being okay, but can't think of any reasons to support it, could we run into problems with the date of the mortagage or note? What are the consequences?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#389303 - 07/21/05 07:53 PM Re: loan doc dates
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I'm not an attorney and won't get into a long debate, but hogwash.

If you back date the note, how is that not a direct or indirect accommodation for the borrower? You will not be collecting the interest for those days, so you are in essence capitalizing the interest.

Oh, BTW Your Honor. Anon's documents say I signed everything on July 1. I can show where I was in South American on July 1, therefore there was no way I could have signed these documents.

OK, my rant is over. Sorry.

Return to Top
#389304 - 07/21/05 09:07 PM Re: loan doc dates
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree completely-feel like it's gettin awfully thick in here! But this is a highly “respected” attorney...in addition, I’m told, especially on the commercial side that this is an industry standard practice. Otherwise the loans would show up in default status, when they are really pending review. Is this how everyone is doing it????

When I brought up the interest the response: the borrower is asking for an extension, just because it takes us a week beyond the maturity date to approve the extension doesn't mean the borrower doesn't have to pay interest those days, back dating allows us to not loose any interest.

Return to Top
#389305 - 07/21/05 10:57 PM Re: loan doc dates
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Why would you lose interest? There should be a provision for post maturity interest.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#389306 - 07/22/05 12:33 AM Re: loan doc dates
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
To me it is a moot point. The date of the document, and the date of execution of the document are two separate things. Date of execution is the date upon which to hang your hat.

However, I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV either!

Return to Top
#389307 - 07/22/05 02:01 PM Re: loan doc dates
Lost in a sea of Regs Offline
100 Club
Kansas
Would you not start your reveiew process for the extension/renewal prior to maturity date of the note. We review our "coming due" report on a regular basis to avoid this problem.

Return to Top
#389308 - 07/22/05 04:22 PM Re: loan doc dates
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Now, if we're talking about a mortgage refinance with new money, the attorney said it's okay to back date all documents except the ROR.

Back date new money?! I hope the attorney did not give the OK to charge interest on the money before the borrower has use of the money!

Return to Top
#389309 - 07/22/05 07:35 PM Re: loan doc dates
Lost in a sea of Regs Offline
100 Club
Kansas
Who was it that said "Mark that Exhibit "A".

Return to Top
#389310 - 07/25/05 07:36 PM Re: loan doc dates
Creditcopper Offline
100 Club
Creditcopper
Michigan
Quote:

I agree completely-feel like it's gettin awfully thick in here! But this is a highly “respected” attorney...in addition, I’m told, especially on the commercial side that this is an industry standard practice. Otherwise the loans would show up in default status, when they are really pending review. Is this how everyone is doing it????

When I brought up the interest the response: the borrower is asking for an extension, just because it takes us a week beyond the maturity date to approve the extension doesn't mean the borrower doesn't have to pay interest those days, back dating allows us to not loose any interest.

Excuse the language but that attorney is either an idiot or just plain stupid. Why would you want to mask delinquencies to your board of directors by backdating a renewal. No this is NOT an industry practice. Having loans go past the contractual maturity is a bank/loan administration weakness and not a credit weakness of the borrower. Our bank reports all commercial loans as is, and if it's past the contractual mat. date, then so be it! When the lender is able to get the credit facility amended short term ALWAYS the interest is paid at that time. Extensions/renewals are frequent to allow for submission of current FS, etc. We actually have about 4 loans right now (and big ones that inflate the nonaccrual %as well ) that we are reporting as past due and nonaccrual because they flipped past the 90 day mark. The board is apprised of this so they can ask the senior lender, "what's taking so long to get this off of past due???"

If your attorney still takes that same position, have him call your friendly regulator or external auditor to explain why he is advising you to backdate documents. Dan brings up a good point, fudging the dates can get banks into big problems. It has come up before in lawsuits I've seen where the lender regrets bigtime having done this.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z