Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#389955 - 07/25/05 07:06 PM Re: Leather furniture
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
So, they are like "tips" for cats? Great, now my cat and I will both need manicures, or is it pedicures??...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#389956 - 07/25/05 07:13 PM Re: Leather furniture
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Both!

Return to Top
#389957 - 07/29/05 09:22 PM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
DQ we have very nice leather in the library and the family room. We did a great deal of research because of the two cats and found that leather is a GREAT option with animals (ease to clean etc) IF you put some cash into your purchase. It's not a matter of color, but instead it's the finish. You need to purchase natural leather (which can be dyed but is died throughout the hide) and not buy leather with a shiny finish on it. Yes the cats scratch when they jump around (they have back claws only) but the scratches polish out every easily. We have three leather sofa's, red and taupe, and they look great all the time, plus people can sit on them without leaving with orange hair all over their butt which they did when getting up from my antique sofa (mohair).

I would never declaw a cat again...too much suffering, and I'd NEVER declaw an older cat (mine are six as well) but you can try the tips. My guys chewed them off in about 3 days but I have heard of folks who kept them on longer. And yes, they do come in colors LOL so it's a true pedicure

I don't bother with the tips anymore, we just polish up the leather when necessary. Downside to natural leather is that wine can stain it, so you have to weigh your sins...scratches and cat hair or spills? We decided red couches would handle the wine issue

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#389958 - 07/31/05 01:03 AM Re: Leather furniture
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I also trim my cat's claws. That' probably why he's giving the rude gesture in my avatar!!!! (Those who saw the larger picture at the ABA Compliance Conference know what I mean.)

Return to Top
#389959 - 08/01/05 05:55 AM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LOL Bonnie, now I have to blow up the pic!

Return to Top
#389960 - 08/01/05 01:34 PM Re: Leather furniture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Does anyone have leather sofas and loveseats? If so, do you have a cat?

We found a really cool sofa/loveseat this weekend, and although my cat has had his front claws removed, his back claws are still intact. Can anyone share their experience... please?

gracias...

I didn't read the responses, but this is the exact situation I was in. We had cats front claws removed and although it helped, she still marks up my leather chair with her back ones!! It's definitly not as bad, but still noticable ... Good luck!

Return to Top
#389961 - 08/01/05 08:58 PM Re: Leather furniture
Anonymous
Unregistered

We purchased a leather chair earlier this year and our two two & 1/2 year old front declawed cats don't want anything to do with the chair. Neither will sit in the chair alone or with my husband or me if we are sitting in the chair. The cats will sit with either of us if we are sitting on the couch or one of the other chairs.

Return to Top
#389962 - 08/01/05 09:05 PM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Quote:

we just polish up the leather when necessary.

I'm glad I read this thread. We also just bought new leather furniture and my Jack Russell just launches herself from the chair and has left scratches (that are the same color, but you can still see them). I'll polish tonite!

Return to Top
#389963 - 08/01/05 09:11 PM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
If the furniture has a coating it won't work as well Okie, but it still works. You just need to use a polish in the same color if you have the coating so it dyes the scratches.

Now that I have an investment in leather...natural mind you so I can polish out scratches, I have to worry about baby puke and other assorted childhood stains LOL! Natural leather is great for the scratches, but not at all for the stains!

Return to Top
#389964 - 08/17/05 04:21 PM Re: Leather furniture
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I've got a problem...maybe you guys can help me!

I got black ball point pen ink on my tan leather seats in my truck. I've tried my Armor All Cleaner and Leather Conditioner...neither have taken it out. Anyone have any ideas as to what would get the black ink off but not trash the leather?

Thank you!

Return to Top
#389965 - 08/17/05 04:22 PM Re: Leather furniture
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Try a little hairspray.

Return to Top
#389966 - 08/17/05 04:24 PM Re: Leather furniture
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Hmmmm...I'll try that at lunch.

Return to Top
#389967 - 08/17/05 04:38 PM Re: Leather furniture
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
I'm sure you have enough info by now - but here's my two cents anyhow

I have leather couches and loveseats, neither of my cats have shown any interest in them. It may be that they don't like the "texture?" - Not sure..anyhow - I just read online that you can buy sticky stuff (forgot the name) that is like a tape....you put it on the edges of the couch and to the cat it's like tape...although it's transparent to everyone else. It says you can remove it after a week or so and the cat will not attempt to climb it because they think the tape is still there. I'm a little "foggy" today so hopefully I made sense. If I recall the website or name of product I'll give it.

Return to Top
#389968 - 08/17/05 06:05 PM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Mouth wash works on the ink issue. My cats chewed on the tape. They like plastic

Return to Top
#389969 - 08/18/05 12:07 AM Re: Leather furniture
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Mouth wash works on the ink issue. My cats chewed on the tape. They like plastic

One of my cats ... LOVES... plastic...anything...kinda scary the way he carries on.. purring, loving and drooling...

Return to Top
#389970 - 08/18/05 12:18 AM Re: Leather furniture
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
What the heck is with that? It's dangerous stuff...little freaks

One of mine chews holes in the plastic grocery bags, and one chews holes in the paper bags, so generally, I never have a grocery bag when I need one.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2