BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#391454 - 07/28/05 03:48 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Pixie, if you wait until you are "ready" to have children, chances are you good never will. No one is ready to have their life turned totally upside down. Parenting well requires a complete re-ordering of priorities - all you have to do to confirm that is read some of the posts in this thread.

If you want children, you should have them. If you do not want them, I would suggest surgery or celibacy or whatever else you need to do to prevent pregnancy.

Good luck.

I am not sure I agree with this. I do agree that there will always be reasons to wait a bit, but sometimes those reasons are valid and important. When I was previously married, my wife wanted kids and I kept saying that we were not ready financially. In retrospect, while I think it's vital that you are in some sort of situation where the financial ramifications of having a baby won't kill you, I now realize that I was uncertain of our marriage and I definitely wanted to avoid, if possible, raising a child in an unhappy or broken home. I probably also still needed a bit of growing up, even though I was 30 at the time.

But when I was ready, not only did I remarry a woman who brought along a precious 4 year old girl at the time, but I had to go and have two more babies (both at he same time of course!)

I guess the bottom line for me is that there is not much downside to waiting until you're ready. Sure, for couples where one spouse wants to wait and the other doesn't and then when they are both ready there are medical reasons that prevent it - that is a downside. But even in this case, options exist such as adoption.

My hope would be that babies born/adopted into a family who are ready or semi-ready or unready will be loved as they should. My gut tells me that situations where both parties are ready will provide a special environment for the family as a whole.

All that said, to the topic of the post, it always baffles me when people give others a hard time for not wanting kids.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#391455 - 07/28/05 05:37 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Nanwa, It's too bad that you and MOML decided not to be parents. I suspect you would have been good ones. The world needs more well-raised kids. Yours clearly would have been.

I am happy that you are pleased with your life - the worst two words in the English language are "what if." I congratulate you on a life well-lived, and wish you many more years to continue.

Michelle, I do agree with that anon who suggested that you develop a thicker skin. His/her comments demonstrated why that is a good idea. I realize it's easier said than done, however.

Dave, my points are that: one, no one is ever really "ready" to have kids. not even the adjustments of marriage are adequate preparation for the "joys" (a word I choose advisedly; even the lows are highs). Two, it's easy to wait "till we're ready," and suddenly find out that now that you are ready, your body (or your partner's) isn't. I would refer you to my statement above regarding "what if."
Last edited by redsfan; 07/28/05 05:45 PM.

Return to Top
#391456 - 07/28/05 06:23 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Redsfan I withdraw my previous post ... you don't get it. If you think being annoyed at people is the same as having a thin skin, then we are truly living on a different planet.

Return to Top
#391457 - 07/28/05 08:16 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

If you think being annoyed at people is the same as having a thin skin, then we are truly living on a different planet.

Amen. Some people have raised "annoying" to an art form. "Thin skinned" is when things that are not annoying bother you.

Attacking someone's intelligence or integrity without any evidence to support those attacks is annoying. Upbraiding anyone for a personal decision that does not rob anyone of life, liberty or property is self-righeousness run amuk.

The original poster asked an honest question. There is no morally absolute answer to that question so that leaves it to personal preference.

If you want children now, have them now. If you want children later, have them later. If you never want children, don't have any. There is no right or wrong here, there isn't even a better or worse. It's great to tell your own story but the only advice any of us should give on this topic can be summed up in one short phrase: Follow your heart.

Return to Top
#391458 - 07/28/05 08:46 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Thanks, anon, pixie, doodle and reds. At least there are four people who get it.

Excuse me?

Return to Top
#391459 - 07/29/05 06:07 AM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
This seems to be the way of it:

When you ar single, people ask if you have a boyfriend (or girlfriend if you're a guy.)

Then - when you have a boyfriend, people ask if you are getting married.

Then - when you get married, people ask when you will be having kids.

Then - when your first baby still has the umbilical stump, people ask when you are having the next one.

HOWEVER - if you already have two kids, and get pregnant again, people then ask, with a shocked expression, How many kids are you going to have?

No one ever seems happy leaving someone the way they are.

Return to Top
#391460 - 07/29/05 11:46 AM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
If I don't get it, Michelle, I apologize. I read this:

Quote:

Often I am made to feel selfish or like a monster for making this choice. I also hate when very smug people tell me ... "Just wait - you will change your mind." Well, I'm 37 years old and I don't see my mind changing. Why can't people just learn to respect others choices?

And assumed that such remarkes as those you were responding too bothered you. Clearly, I was mistaken.

But since the definition of annoying is troublesome or bothersome, dont the questions/remarks you cited, in fact, bother you?

I would encourage you to read my earlier post about paying less attention to the actions/opinions of people whose opinion should not matter to you. Fewer things will annoy you. And I encourage you to start with me.

Return to Top
#391461 - 07/29/05 12:15 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

This seems to be the way of it:

When you ar single, people ask if you have a boyfriend (or girlfriend if you're a guy.)

Then - when you have a boyfriend, people ask if you are getting married.

Then - when you get married, people ask when you will be having kids.

Then - when your first baby still has the umbilical stump, people ask when you are having the next one.

HOWEVER - if you already have two kids, and get pregnant again, people then ask, with a shocked expression, How many kids are you going to have?

No one ever seems happy leaving someone the way they are.

Exactly, Bonnie.

Return to Top
#391462 - 07/29/05 12:30 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
DQ - You always get it. I just figured that was a given.

Return to Top
#391463 - 07/29/05 07:32 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Anonymous
Unregistered

I married a woman with three children and we got pregnant on our honeymoon. I went from single to 5 dependents in 9 months. Extremely stressful, but that's life.

Return to Top
#391464 - 07/29/05 09:08 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Mark, it's perfectly fine not to want children. My sweetie and I planned a wonderful life without children, he's now 40 and I'm 42. I never thought I could have children, and while I did want them when I was young, I wasn't able to have them and moved on to develop a good life without them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all, and neither do most of my friends because I'm financially indendent and give really nice shower gifts

And I speak from experience on the "there's no such thing as being ready" for kids. I learned Monday that I am just starting my sixth month of pregnancy I went from "not possible in my future on Friday" to DAMN WOMAN DIDN'T YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? (No, no symptoms other than a little bloating LOL) We were happy planning our future without, but heck, now we're changing those plans and either way our life will be great.

We did discuss (when we thought I was just a couple months pregnant before they did the sonogram) if we should continue the pregnancy. If we both were not committed to this shock we would not have continued, and I would have been ok with continuing our life plans as they were, childless and yacht riding off into the sunset. Since we're both on board, (the pregnancy) we'll just have to wait until boarding school until we get the yacht

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#391465 - 07/29/05 09:17 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Dawnie-One of my friends went to the doctor one day because she thought she was passing a kidney stone. Turns out she was in the final stages of labor and delivered a full term healthy baby boy about an hour later! She had no idea she was pregnant!!

Return to Top
#391466 - 07/29/05 09:25 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LMAO and I thought I was an idiot Sarah heh heh

My doctor says this is getting more common since they're using the continuious birth control now a days...but still I didn't think it could happen to us LOL who does! I feel much better though...We're freaked out with just a few months to plan where the heck to put a baby room in our grown up house. Gad forbid a few hours notice!

Return to Top
#391467 - 07/29/05 09:28 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Hey, congrats Dawnie!

Return to Top
#391468 - 07/29/05 09:45 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm jealous. Congrats, Dawnie!

Return to Top
#391469 - 07/29/05 09:47 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Cowboys Fan Online
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

I'm jealous. Congrats, Dawnie!

Not even in the ballpark of being jealous but happy for you both.

Return to Top
#391470 - 07/29/05 09:57 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Best wishes Dawnie! My niece went thru the same thing; didn't know she was pregnant until the 6th month. I hope you have a delivery as easy as hers. She got up at 6AM and said, "I feel different. Not alot of pain, but definately different. I think I will take a shower and head over to the hospital just to be on the safe side." By 10 AM she had a healthy baby boy.

Oh, and she had been told she had no chance of ever having kids. So the boy's name is Chance.

Return to Top
#391471 - 07/29/05 10:19 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Oh, and she had been told she had no chance of ever having kids. So the boy's name is Chance.

That's pretty cool!

Return to Top
#391472 - 07/29/05 10:26 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Since we're both on board, (the pregnancy) we'll just have to wait until boarding school until we get the yacht

Add me to the list of those to offer you congratulations, Dawnie!

I do hope you and your sweetie will get married before the child is born. I also hope you are just kidding about boarding school. Take the yacht money and find a way to stay home with your new son, especially in his early formative years. Since you are starting late in life, having that early bonding may prove critical.

Return to Top
#391473 - 07/29/05 11:21 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Thanks again all No fears Jim, we're kidding about sailing away on a yacht without the little darling. That does not mean we won't have a yacht but we'll take little Jesse with us. We're excited about being a part of his life so darned excited we're selling the other house in Texas so Jesse Sr can be here more often. Anyone in the market? Have I got a deal for youuuu!!!

Return to Top
#391474 - 07/31/05 12:57 AM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
When I was a teenager, one of my mom's friends did not know she was pregnant until she went into labor!

She was a heavy woman with 3 kids already - one in high school, one in college, and one married with his own kids.

Talk about a surprise!!!!

Return to Top
#391475 - 08/01/05 05:57 AM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
E gads Bonnie. Even I would have figured out that the "gas and bloating" was a bit more once the little tike started hauling back and kicking on me And I thought I had too little notice!

Return to Top
#391476 - 08/01/05 01:44 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Congrats Dawnie! A good friend of mine was in her 5th month before she found out she was pregnant. She thought she had the flu!

Return to Top
#391477 - 08/01/05 02:04 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Congratulations, Dawn. I hope all goes well.

You will be a great mom. And just think how much better all those bottles of wine in your cellar will taste after the additional aging!

Leslie and I will drink a glass to you and Jesse in Vegas this week.

Take care.

Return to Top
#391478 - 08/01/05 02:12 PM Re: Children: To Have or Have Not
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I learned Monday that I am just starting my sixth month of pregnancy

Congratulations, Dawnie. I wish all the best for you and yours.

-Jokerman

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5