because he is selfish and inconsiderate
and cares nothing for the habitat of
animals or the preservation of our
woodlands. He does this so he can
make a profit of $20. What do you think
of this way of making a living? Topic for
class participation after answering the
question: How did the birds and squirrels
feel as the logger cut down their homes?
There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005

Un hachero vende una carretada de
madera para $100. El costo de la
produccisn es $80...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#391917 - 07/27/05 11:29 AM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Not funny. Do you have any idea how many times I've had to tell the cashier' how much my change should be?

Return to Top
#391918 - 07/27/05 12:39 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's pretty funny. Sad and true, but pretty funny.

Return to Top
#391919 - 07/27/05 12:52 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
So sad. Cashiers dont even count the change back anymore-when i worked in the grocery store-it was required...technology has taken out all the thought. Can you imagine how it would be if they had to punch in all the prices, and not just scan it???? Very sad.

Return to Top
#391920 - 07/27/05 01:43 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
My kids and I went to the drive-thru at McDonald's last week-end. The girl told me the price ($9.53). I gave her $20.03 and she could not figure out how much money to give me back. My 11 year old daughter in the back seat said "she gets $10.50 back". If my 11 year old can do it, should someone that works there be able to do the simple math???

Return to Top
#391921 - 07/27/05 01:48 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I was trying to understand how they teach math this past year with my 9 year old. It is truly bizarre.

Return to Top
#391922 - 07/27/05 01:59 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think that "kids today" can't do math. I think uneducated people run cash registers at fast food places. If they could do anything else, they would!

Return to Top
#391923 - 07/27/05 02:02 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

My kids and I went to the drive-thru at McDonald's last week-end. The girl told me the price ($9.53). I gave her $20.03 and she could not figure out how much money to give me back. My 11 year old daughter in the back seat said "she gets $10.50 back". If my 11 year old can do it, should someone that works there be able to do the simple math???

Okie, your daughter is obviously destined for a better job than working a cash register at a fast food joint for minimum wage. The truth is, it's not just the way math is being taught in schools that is the problem, it's just a reflexion of the idiots who are hired to work cash registers because there is no other job they are qualified for.

Return to Top
#391924 - 07/27/05 02:12 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
I take offense to your post Bengals Fan. As a high school student I worked every possible hour I could at McDonalds to make money, does this make me stupid or unqualified for anything else?

There is no doubt that there are problems within our school systems, beyond the issue of math, but how dare you criticize someone like this, what makes you so intellectually superior?

Return to Top
#391925 - 07/27/05 02:16 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I was trying to understand how they teach math this past year with my 9 year old. It is truly bizarre.

Bizarre is an understatement. 'Simple' arithmetic is anything but simple anymore. All of the garbage about breaking the numbers up and regrouping them, and the circles and trees just boggles the mind. Of course, my children don't understand any of that nonsense, but they understand the right way to add and subtract (which for some reason the school refuses to teach).

And through all of this I wonder, if we all did math in this fashion, what would a check register look like?

Return to Top
#391926 - 07/27/05 02:23 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I don't think that "kids today" can't do math. I think uneducated people run cash registers at fast food places. If they could do anything else, they would!

This is the most cogent point on this thread. I think there are way too many people who think our society is failing.

Return to Top
#391927 - 07/27/05 02:38 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

Quote:

This is the most cogent point on this thread. I think there are way too many people who think our society is failing.

I'm one of them, are you too?

Return to Top
#391928 - 07/27/05 02:39 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I take offense to your post Bengals Fan. As a high school student I worked every possible hour I could at McDonalds to make money, does this make me stupid or unqualified for anything else?

There is no doubt that there are problems within our school systems, beyond the issue of math, but how dare you criticize someone like this, what makes you so intellectually superior?

The fact that I can do simple math? I didn't say ALL employees of the fast food industry are idiots, but the ones who work there full time AND can't do math certainly are. You certainly shouldn't be offended, unless of course you were one of the idiots who can't figure out how to make change.

Return to Top
#391929 - 07/27/05 02:45 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
[BF beat me to a reply, posted while I was still typing. ]
Quote:

I take offense to your post Bengals Fan. ....

There is a big difference between saying (as I believe BF meant) "any idiot can get hired to work at a fast food restaurant", and saying "everyone who works at a fast food restaurant is an idiot" (which is what you apparently interpreted BF as meaning).

I hear that logical thinking standards are also in decline.
Last edited by WildTurkey; 07/27/05 02:48 PM.

Return to Top
#391930 - 07/27/05 02:46 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on BengalsFan. I disagree with him alot but I respect his opinions.

Return to Top
#391931 - 07/27/05 02:49 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Quote:

Okie, your daughter is obviously destined for a better job than working a cash register at a fast food joint for minimum wage.

I certainly hope so. She wants to be a lawyer, but I'll try to talk her out of that.

Return to Top
#391932 - 07/27/05 02:52 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Okie, your daughter is obviously destined for a better job than working a cash register at a fast food joint for minimum wage.

I certainly hope so. She wants to be a lawyer, but I'll try to talk her out of that.

Stop dissing lawyers. Many of us are bankers too.

Return to Top
#391933 - 07/27/05 02:59 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
It was a joke, hence the . Get a sense of humor why don't you. If my daughter wants to be a lawyer, I will support that decision fully. In fact, I think she would be a wonderful lawyer. She can out-argue anyone I know and she makes sure that you see her point of view before she is done.

Return to Top
#391934 - 07/27/05 03:01 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was joking too. I don't know how to do emotis.

Return to Top
#391935 - 07/27/05 03:14 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Ok, sorry. Sometimes the tone doesn't carry over online.

Return to Top
#391936 - 07/27/05 03:15 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

She can out-argue anyone I know and she makes sure that you see her point of view before she is done.

Myabe you could get her to register on BOL???

Return to Top
#391937 - 07/27/05 04:00 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Quote:

Quote:

She can out-argue anyone I know and she makes sure that you see her point of view before she is done.

Myabe you could get her to register on BOL???

Maybe she could give X a run for his money.

Return to Top
#391938 - 07/27/05 04:13 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
[..... The truth is, it's not just the way math is being taught in schools that is the problem, it's just a reflexion of the idiots who are hired to work cash registers because there is no other job they are qualified for.

How about spelling???

Just busting your goodies a little, today's my Friday as my vacation starts tomorrow! Whooohoooo!

Return to Top
#391939 - 07/27/05 04:34 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

[..... The truth is, it's not just the way math is being taught in schools that is the problem, it's just a reflexion of the idiots who are hired to work cash registers because there is no other job they are qualified for.

How about spelling???

Just busting your goodies a little, today's my Friday as my vacation starts tomorrow! Whooohoooo!

Woops! I spent all weekend and yesterday moving in 95 degree plus heat. I'm definately not all here today. Besides, my ability to spell is hindered by all the purposeful mistakes made by corporate America!

Return to Top
#391940 - 07/27/05 07:19 PM Re: Why Kids Today Cannot Do Simple Math
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
It's funny, I have run across what I think are "idiots" in all lines of work (customer service particularly), not just math related (and yes, I can make change without a cash register or calculator, can do long division, etc) however, after my experiences in life, I will never begrudge anyone for what they can and cannot do; some things are just beyond people, even simple math.

My spouse cannot do basic algebra without stuggling enormously however he can ace a stats or calculus class; go figure!

All I'm saying with the previous comments is not to be so (what appears) to be judgemental based on someones line of work, no matter what it is!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3