Unregistered

Bump

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#396461 - 08/08/05 02:52 AM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
The coaches poll is out now. top 25 are 1. USC 2. Texas 3. Tennessee 4. Michigan 5. Oklahoma 6. LSU 7. V Tech 8. Miami 9. Ohio State 10. Iowa 11. Florida 12. Florida St. 13. Georgia 14. Lousiville 15. Auburn 16. Purdue 17. Texas AM 18. ASU 19. Boise St. 20.Cal 21.Texas Tech 22. BC 23. Virginia 24. Alabama 25. Pitt
A few notable vote getters: Wisc 79pts, South Carolina 16.
A few What the .... vote getters: Arizona 8, Duke 1, Kansas 1

I was really suprised to see OU debut at 5, like I said in the first post, the BCS gods like OU. I thought Boise was a little low, Auburn too high, Florida I was suprised to see as low as it was.

Return to Top
#396462 - 08/08/05 09:11 PM Re: College Football
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
They probably put us at #5 to jinx us. The last time we had a new young team like we do this year we ended up winning a National Championship. We started out as 20-something that year and just kept climbing to a perfect season.

Return to Top
#396463 - 08/09/05 04:25 AM Re: College Football
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
TG...I can explain the one vote for Duke. Steve Spurrier has cast a vote for Duke in every poll since he coached there years ago. I agree with your summation of the coaches poll. Preseason polls are really just an educated guessing game. A season can be made or loss with injuries to key players and how much impact redshirts and incoming freshman have on a team.

Return to Top
#396464 - 08/09/05 03:14 PM Re: College Football
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
It saddens me to see all of this talk about the top teams and not see Nebraska listed

Tom Osborne! Where are you!!!

Return to Top
#396465 - 08/09/05 03:24 PM Re: College Football
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Quote:

The coaches poll is out now. top 25 are 1. USC 2. Texas 3. Tennessee 4. Michigan 5. Oklahoma 6. LSU 7. V Tech 8. Miami 9. Ohio State 10. Iowa 11. Florida 12. Florida St. 13. Georgia 14. Lousiville 15. Auburn 16. Purdue 17. Texas AM 18. ASU 19. Boise St. 20.Cal 21.Texas Tech 22. BC 23. Virginia 24. Alabama 25. Pitt
A few notable vote getters: Wisc 79pts, South Carolina 16.
A few What the .... vote getters: Arizona 8, Duke 1, Kansas 1

I was really suprised to see OU debut at 5, like I said in the first post, the BCS gods like OU. I thought Boise was a little low, Auburn too high, Florida I was suprised to see as low as it was.

KANSAS got a vote? Who was smoking what??? We're a basketball school (except when we aren't... )

Return to Top
#396466 - 08/09/05 06:04 PM Re: College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

As much of a Sooner Fan as I am, I'm rooting for OU to go to the Orange Bowl as Big 12 Champions this year. I would love to see them play for a National Championship - don't get me wrong, but my daughter was chosen as an All-American at a recent dance camp and it looks like we will be attending the Orange Bowl where she will dance in the game festivities. Would love nothing else than to be able to watch her dance and cheer for my Sooners at the same time!

I agree with you on only one thing in your post. I also hope the Sooners end up at the Orange Bowl. That will leave the Rose Bowl and the National Championship wide open for the Longhorns.

With as many starters as OU is missing from last year, the voters are sure showing OU a lot of respect. I guess they agree with not voting against the streak.
Last edited by zaibatsu; 08/09/05 06:05 PM.

Return to Top
#396467 - 08/09/05 06:08 PM Re: College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

It saddens me to see all of this talk about the top teams and not see Nebraska listed

Maybe this will make you feel better: Cornhuskers Named No. 1 in Preseason Poll

Return to Top
#396468 - 08/09/05 07:47 PM Re: College Football
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thanks z. Yes, we're proud of our Volleyball team. They have all but 1 starter back from last year's team that finished 30-2. They have been in the top 5 for several years in a row.

But we really miss the traditionally great football team (I guess being the National Champions of '94, '95 and '97 spoiled us).

Return to Top
#396469 - 08/09/05 08:09 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

Bama shouldn't be up there. They still have many questions, no depth, and a quarterback trying to come back from injury. Too many unknowns.

The SEC west is down this year, LSU is the only truly talented team but they've got to contended with a Les Miles. Alabama gets Tenn, LSU, and Florida at home this year, Southern Miss is thier toughest non conference game and thats at home. I think Bama will do well considering thier defense and Croyles ability. I'm still not sure of Shula but he also hasn't had ideal circumstances to work with the past two years. If they can stay reletively injury free then they are a top 25 team with Croyle and that defense. I doubt they win the West but I think they finish no lower than third and have about 8-9 wins.

Return to Top
#396470 - 08/09/05 08:16 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

Scoot Purdue up a few notches. They don't have Ohio State OR Michigan on their schedule this year, and they're returning a lot of starters.

everything looks good on paper for Purdue but I'm not convinced they have the mental part down. They lost a lot of close games last year and the question is have these boys learned from that, will they be able to overcome the obstacles that get in thier way, will they be able to close?
Plus everythng is indicating that the Big ten is extremely strong this year, so what might have been an easy game a year or two ago might be a lot tougher now. Finally if there are 3 or more teams at the top with the same number off losses trying to get into the Rose Bowl will Purdue make it because they sliped by Michigan and Ohio State.

Return to Top
#396471 - 08/09/05 08:21 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

I expected the offense to be horrible last year but I didn't think the defense was going to be as bad as it was. I've wondered what that means because they should have been pretty good and carried the team last year. I would think that the offense should be better with a new QB, more experience working with it, and some more new personnal on offense. But thier defense is an enigma, if they drop the ball like they did last year then I don't think Nebraska has much to look forward to. If they play like thier capable of then I think they take the Big 12 north for whatever that's worth.

Return to Top
#396472 - 08/09/05 08:33 PM Re: College Football
Anonymous
Unregistered

Watch out for Penn State out of nowhere!

Return to Top
#396473 - 08/09/05 09:50 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

Watch out for Penn State out of nowhere!

With two lay up nonconference games and a winnable game at home against cincinati one would think they might go to a bowl game but I bet getting from 4 wins to six will be alot harder than it appears in the big ten this year. The defense is good but you need to put pionts on the board to win games. I bet they play spioler and ruin someones dreams considering they play OSU, Purdue, Wisc, and Minn at home. Someone's offense is going to get bogged down in that defense real bad and not be able to overcome (Purdue?) while thier offense does just enough. But like I said getting those 2 extra wins to go to a bowl game will be tough. If they aren't 3-0 starting conference play then I bet it doesn't happen this year. it's reasonable to expect they beat 2 out of the 3 between Michigan State, Northwestern, and Illinios even though those are on the road and pick up a spioler win to get 6. But in thier 2-1 or worse they need to sweep those road games or beat two of this years big boys at home bc I don't see them coming out of Ann Arbor with a win.

Return to Top
#396474 - 08/09/05 10:30 PM Re: College Football
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
That Guy: I have to say, you sure seem to know your college football.

Return to Top
#396475 - 08/09/05 10:51 PM Re: College Football
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Thanks z. Yes, we're proud of our Volleyball team. They have all but 1 starter back from last year's team that finished 30-2. They have been in the top 5 for several years in a row.

But we really miss the traditionally great football team (I guess being the National Champions of '94, '95 and '97 spoiled us).

And a pretty good baseball team.

Return to Top
#396476 - 08/10/05 01:24 PM Re: College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Finally if there are 3 or more teams at the top with the same number off losses trying to get into the Rose Bowl will Purdue make it because they sliped by Michigan and Ohio State.

That Guy: Because the Rose Bowl is for the National Championship, I don't think any team with more than one loss has a shot and one loss may be too many.

Return to Top
#396477 - 08/10/05 03:42 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Quote:

Quote:

Finally if there are 3 or more teams at the top with the same number off losses trying to get into the Rose Bowl will Purdue make it because they sliped by Michigan and Ohio State.

That Guy: Because the Rose Bowl is for the National Championship, I don't think any team with more than one loss has a shot and one loss may be too many.

I completely agree, I meant it as if Texas AM, Alabama, and Purdue all had one loss and were ranked 123 (hypothetically) then Purdue might miss out Auburn style because their schedule wasn't as tough because they missed out on both Ohio State and Michigan.

Return to Top
#396478 - 08/10/05 03:44 PM Re: College Football
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Hey, Z, good to hear from you! I agree Texas should be good this year. If OU wins again this year then Mack Brown may truly be jinxed! Oh, if you want to help donate to my daughter's trip fund, then I will give a little cheer for Texas and hope OU ends us in the Orange! Ha! Should be a fun season again regardless. The South is pretty heavy again this year (with the exception of Baylor).

Return to Top
#396479 - 08/10/05 03:59 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
I've been thinking and I think the sleeper team of the year is Clemson. They have all the right pieces and the right kind of schedule to win 10+ games this year. No one's thinking they have a shot at anything, they have 9 pts in the coaches poll and SI had them ranked 52nd. They really underperformed last year, they return a lot of key starters, whitehurst really underachieved last year but he has the potential to be awesome. Bowden brought in Toledo's offensive cordinator to spice things up. Thier defense should be pretty decent, ie it shouldn't loss games for them. Finally, they play thier toughest games at home, Miami, Texas AM, and Florida St. I'm not ready to say they're going to the Rose Bowl but I bet they win the atlantic division of the ACC.

Return to Top
#396480 - 08/10/05 08:23 PM Re: College Football
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder who will win the Hiesman this year, probably somebody who wasn't the most deserving for it. I wish people would decide if it was for the best player in college football or just the MVP of college football.

Return to Top
#396481 - 08/11/05 01:13 PM Re: College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
HEY! If you love college football, join one or both of our Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Leagues!! One league is picking by point spread and the other is picking winners and losers.

Here is how to join:

By point spread:

Group ID#: 7613
Password: rosebowlbound

By winners and losers:

Group ID#: 8242
Password: rosebowlbound

Return to Top
#396482 - 08/11/05 01:55 PM Re: College Football
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go Big Red!!

Return to Top
#396483 - 08/11/05 04:59 PM Re: College Football
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Hope that's Crimson and Cream red!!!

Return to Top
#396484 - 08/11/05 05:30 PM Re: College Football
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
Somewhat college football related, I just read that Jason White quit the NFL because he felt his knees couldn't take it anymore. I guess now he'll go find an attractive position in sales somewhere.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4