Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#4054 - 08/27/01 08:35 PM Reg CC and electronic return of checks
DebbieC Offline
Owensboro, KY USA
In December 1999 the FRB issues an amendment to Subpart C of Regulation CC. In reading this rule suggests that a check can be returned electronically if the bank truncates. I remember reading something recently that indicated that a check returned electronically would not be covered under Reg E, but that any fee imposed for the return would be.

I've reviewed Reg CC and I really don't see where it allows this. Does anyone know if we can make returns electronically when a check has been issued originally and we have access to the check?

If so...where can I get information on this.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#4055 - 08/27/01 08:57 PM Re: Reg CC and electronic return of checks
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
NACHA has a number of good publications available - see
http://pubs.nacha.org/echeck.html

Return to Top
#4056 - 08/28/01 03:12 PM Re: Reg CC and electronic return of checks
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The Regulation E provision referred to above indicates that an ACH "RCK" (Represented Check) entry is not covered by Regulation E, because it originated as a paper check. The RCK entry is an ACH debit originated by the payee (or his agent) of a bounced check to collect the amount of the check. By similar logic, electronic return of a check would not be covered by Reg. E.

Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top