Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#40549 - 11/04/02 06:46 PM Shredding
Pat Ericsson Offline
New York, New York
Just wondering how many banks use a company to pick up and shred confidential paperwork. We are small and have a shredder we purchased but it's always jamming up and overheating. If anybody in the new york area has a company they use I would appreciate the name.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#40550 - 11/04/02 06:59 PM Re: Shredding
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
We are using Shred-It. They provide secure bins and bring a shredding truck to shred on-site under our supervision weekly.

Return to Top
#40551 - 11/04/02 07:52 PM Re: Shredding
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
Well, we're not in NY, but in No. CA and we've been utilizing a company for the last few years - it's been great! They come in with locked bins - we've not had any occurance of any breach of confidentiality. We checked our vender out thoroughly as well as had the contract reviewed by our in-house counsel.

Return to Top
#40552 - 11/04/02 07:56 PM Re: Shredding
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
One major company I've heard of is Iron Mountain. They can pick up and provide you with a certificate or shred on site for a greater cost. You are free to see how they operate whenever you want so as to check your processes.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#40553 - 11/04/02 08:55 PM Re: Shredding
KATL Offline
KATL
QUEENS, NY
Hi Pat

We used a company called Mobile Data Shred to do a major shredding job for us. They are in the Bronx and their number is 718 SHRED 50. How's that Coffee Machine?

Return to Top
#40554 - 11/05/02 02:16 PM Re: Shredding
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
We recently started using a shredding company that shreds documents on site. (mobile unit) So far, so good.

Return to Top
#40555 - 11/05/02 04:23 PM Re: Shredding
AnnRoy Offline
Platinum Poster
AnnRoy
South
Where are you specifically located in LA? Would be interested in knowing more info. about your bank. You can email me @rdillard@ctb-bank.com. I'm also located in LA...the reason for my inquiry.

Return to Top
#40556 - 11/07/02 04:01 PM Re: Shredding
JoeBanker Offline
New Poster
JoeBanker
TX
Be sure your vendor can certify the results of what they do.

Return to Top
#40557 - 11/07/02 05:12 PM Re: Shredding
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Two issues relating to shedding inhouse - the shedding bin must be locked and shedding "material" that sits around in boxes at desks for days is not aligned with privacy rules - shedding should be delivered to the locked shedding bin at the end of each business day.

Return to Top
#40558 - 11/07/02 05:48 PM Re: Shredding
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
When you say "shredding" must be locked, are you talking about before shredding or after it's been shredded?

Return to Top
#40559 - 11/07/02 08:05 PM Re: Shredding
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Before, while it is waiting to be gathered and torn. Otherwise anyone going by has access to it, janitors, deliverymen, vendors, etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#40560 - 11/07/02 08:28 PM Re: Shredding
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
We use a company out of Rocester, NY called Certified Document Destruction & Recycling, Inc. Let me know if you would like a number and contact name. We have used them for the past few years. They provide the locked bins and will collect the bins when they are full. I can also show you a sample contract.

Return to Top
#40561 - 11/07/02 08:46 PM Re: Shredding
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
Andy, that's what I thought, but wanted to make sure we were missing a BIG security issue. We do in house shredding, but each teller, new acct rep, office desk has a shredder for daily use. We also have a huge one for old files.

We also shred everything, including telephone messages, that might have customer info on it.

Return to Top
#40562 - 11/07/02 09:03 PM Re: Shredding
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
At our last bank, we were buying mini-shredders for each desk - you can get them for about $20 and doing away with any whole trash (except for coffee grounds and banana peels which don't shred too well).

Return to Top
#40563 - 11/08/02 12:57 AM Re: Shredding
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
We require all paper to go into the locking bins. Once the paper was taken care of, there was very little "other" trash left at the branch. We were able to replace many of our 'commercial' dumpsters or have fewer pickups which saved additional money.

Return to Top
#40564 - 11/08/02 04:17 PM Re: Shredding
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
Andy - or anyone that knows this - can you give me a specific citing? I am getting some "opposition" to daily dumpings (imagine that ). I'm not only concerned about the branches but also the administrative offices.

Return to Top
#40565 - 11/08/02 04:48 PM Re: Shredding
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't have a cite, except that the rule is that you protect the data. If you put it in a trash can and secure the trash can whenever you are not there, you are OK. If you put NPPI in a box marked shred and leave it for a week, it is accessible to anyone there and that is simply not secure. It isn't protected. And since the requirement is to protect the data at all times, there is a problem.

Return to Top
#40566 - 11/08/02 05:23 PM Re: Shredding
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
We have a pretty simple policy. IF you need it file it in a locked file, if you don't need it, shred it.

Return to Top
#40567 - 11/11/02 06:10 PM Re: Shredding
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I would be cautious about a shredding company service. They do a great job, but make sure you are training your employees to utilize the service. At the financial institution I previously worked at we were supposed to empty our shredding bins nightly into the large bin for the service. Do you think this actually happened on a nightly basis? Nope! What's worse is that this was all on the loan side.

Return to Top
#40568 - 11/13/02 12:55 PM Re: Shredding
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Pat Ericsson:

Great inquiry about a particularly sensitive issue. And please don't forget to get signed confidentiality agreements and third-party service provider agreements from EVERY non-employee -- including shredding and janitorial companies.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z