Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#408391 - 08/15/05 01:11 PM Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Gayle Offline
New Poster
To ensure compliance with the SSN Act, we have deleted the social security number from customer statements. Our problem is ACH transactions that use the SSN as the customer's ID number, such as SS deposits or businesses using the SSN as the ID number. We have no control over the Individual ID Field. We tell customers that they must contact the party that initiated the ACH transaction to have the SSN deleted, but is that adequate? How are other banks handling this issue?

Return to Top
#408392 - 08/15/05 02:39 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
I'm looking at the exemption in section 3, at (3)(a)(i) for relief. It says:

(3) It is not a violation of subsection (1)(b) or (g) to use all or more than 4 sequential digits of a social security number if the use is any of the following:

(a) An administrative use of all or more than 4 sequential digits of the social security number in the ordinary course of business, by a person or a vendor or contractor of a person, to do any of the following:

(i) Verify an individual's identity, identify an individual, or do another similar administrative purpose related to an account, transaction, product, service, or employment or proposed account, transaction, product, service, or employment.

Particularly, "...similar administrative purpose related to an account, transaction, product, service..." - I think that applies because you don't have control of the situation. The SSN is the identifier for the activity in this case, and I'd be reluctant to get the customer involved.

Return to Top
#408393 - 08/15/05 08:49 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Gayle Offline
New Poster
Thanks for your response Bartman. I'm glad to hear that you think the exceptions cover the ACH issue that the Bank has no control over.

Return to Top
#408394 - 09/09/05 08:53 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about developing the Privacy Policy required under the Act for Jan. 1? Is there a model policy? Do you have one?

Return to Top
#408395 - 09/19/05 06:35 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
JoAnne Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
WHere can I find the SSN Act online?

Return to Top
#408396 - 09/20/05 02:44 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Here is a PDF version. I got to it through www.michiganlegislature.org, then searched the compiled laws for "social security number".

Return to Top
#408397 - 09/20/05 02:53 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
JoAnne Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Thanks. I appreciate the links.

Return to Top
#408398 - 09/21/05 06:19 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Anonymous
Unregistered

Section 445.84 (3) says that this does not apply to those who possess social security numbers in the ordinary course of business. Therefore tell me if I'm wrong. We would not have to have a policy in place by Jan 1, 2006

Return to Top
#408399 - 11/02/05 03:13 PM Re: Michigan's Social Security Number Privacy Act
Anonymous
Unregistered

It does not apply if you possess SSNs in the ordinary course of business and you are complying with the Fair Credit Reporting Act or the GLB Privacy Act.

Return to Top