Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#41055 - 11/07/02 03:27 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
People Magazine Live is right! Our local TV broke away from the pivotal point in JAG to interview some guy who'd been campaigning all day for one of the candidates, and to report standings with "0% Reporting". The polls weren't even closed yet!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#41056 - 11/07/02 04:24 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
One day a congressman was walking down Pennsylvania Avenue and passed a small boy on the sidewalk with a box of sleeping puppies. The boy had a sign posted by the box that read "Democrat Puppies - Free to Good Home." The congressman, being a good Democrat himself, gave the boy a dollar and went on his way. A few days later, the same congressman was strolling down the street, this time with a Republican colleague. When he saw the boy ahead in the distance with the same box, he told his companion that he had something amazing to show him. They hurried up to the boy and upon looking at the sign, the Democrat congressman was dismayed to see that the sign now read, "Republican Puppies - Free to Good Home."

"Are these different puppies than you had a couple of days ago?" he asked the boy.

"No, they're the same puppies," the boy responded.

"I don't understand. Two days ago the sign said these were Democrat puppies. Now you're calling them Republican puppies."

The boy responded, "Two days ago their eyes weren't open yet."

Return to Top
#41057 - 11/07/02 04:45 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Boy - and I thought the mud slinging was over

Return to Top
#41058 - 11/07/02 04:53 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
This seems to fit this thread, so here goes. One of my favorite "sayings":

"If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not conservative when you're older, you have no brain."

This is the most civil discussion of politics I've ever heard (okay, read) in my entire life. Of course, it appears that most of us have similar political ideologies. I'm sure there would be a different flavor on a sports board (possibly excluding golf). But, politicians are still politicians. Whether we agree with them or not.

Return to Top
#41059 - 11/07/02 04:57 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I think all ballots should have a "None of the above" choice. If none of the above wins, it forces a new election with new people - no one can run again. The best I can do is abstain now - there were some catagories I didn't like anyone who was running so I didn't vote for anyone.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#41060 - 11/07/02 05:03 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why do people get accused of mud slinging when its the truth. TRUTH HURTS....NOW LET'S ALL WAKE-UP AND OPEN OUR
EYES TO THE TRUTH...ITS ALL ABOUT THE $MONEY......

WHY DO OUR KIDS STILL HAVE TO BEG FOR A QUALITY EDUCATION
AND FUNDING AND SUPPLIES AND QUALIFIED TEACHERS.....

LIP SERVICE IS ALL WE GET......... ALERT....RANT OVER!!
CIVILAZTION (AS WE KNOW IT HAS TAKEN ON A WHOLE NEW MEANING
ASK THE SHOOTER, JOHN ALLEN MUHAMMMED WHATEEVER!!)

Return to Top
#41061 - 11/07/02 05:08 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I think that you should re-think your vote pattern. With two major parties, along with a few others, there is always a choice to go with the party, not just not vote as most people do - not vote at all. Voting for people that lean toward your positions on issues is a good thing as, you are right, none of the choices are perfect.

Return to Top
#41062 - 11/07/02 05:11 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Jim: Actually your kid with the puppies sounds like someone that grew up to be a lobbyist - he's willing to sell the same thing to either side and let them call it theirs!

Return to Top
#41063 - 11/07/02 05:56 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
I'd have to agree with Grist about not voting at all. I usually don't like any of the options either, so I always vote for the "lesser of two evils". That's why I voted "I don't believe in politics" on our little poll here.

Return to Top
#41064 - 11/07/02 06:01 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
My "party" won anyway and when you are choosing between a democratic republican or a republican democrat, there really isn't much of a difference.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#41065 - 11/07/02 06:14 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
We actually have politicans switching from one party affiliation to another because the field in the other party wouldn't be as crowded in the primary.

Return to Top
#41066 - 11/07/02 06:18 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Caution: Dream sequence to follow...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one had 'labels' but instead told us how they feel about pertinent issues, and the way they would act and vote if they were elected and let us make up our own minds about whether we agree with their 'politics' or not.

Dream sequence over (sigh). I guess the best we can do with the system we've got is to evaluate the information we've been given, including the reputation of the party the candidate belongs to, and make a decision from there! Sounds a lot like what we do in compliance every day!

This is still the best system on earth, though! In Iraq - you had two choices: vote for Saddam or die.

Return to Top
#41067 - 11/07/02 06:22 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
I guess Iraq had a short lived campain....

Return to Top
#41068 - 11/07/02 06:28 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I agree. I have my own dream sequence - someone has kept track of all the promises made and claims by the candidate and then keeps track of the actual voting record. Come next election, instead of the candidates being able to run ads, what is publicized is the voting records and how it compares to the promises made. Sigh. It is a nice dream. . . .

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#41069 - 11/07/02 08:03 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I'm so happy to hear that 33% of the posters that voted "I don't believe in politics" actually votes. That's one out of 3!

Return to Top
#41070 - 11/07/02 08:11 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Agreed, as those Republicans/Democrates that realize that the general population is in the middle are the one's worth listening to and voting for. I always think about, "A leg up, not a hand out" when I vote - naturally that vote goes Republican.

Return to Top
#41071 - 11/07/02 08:18 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to extend my nomination for Andy Z for President of the US!

All those in favor? I I I I I I I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

All those opposed?

None.

Motion carried.....Vote for Andy Z in '03!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#41072 - 11/07/02 08:29 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Get those handbaskets ready. It'll be a bumpy trip.

But if I had a constant link to BOL, we could run the country together. First things first, the military needs target practice. What is HUDs address?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#41073 - 11/07/02 08:39 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Andy: If we follow Anonymous' suggestion you would be the only one getting votes for President in '03. By the way, the "handbasket" reference is even funnier than the HUD one - and it's hard to be funnier than HUD.

Return to Top
#41074 - 11/07/02 08:51 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Andy - Considering that you would most likely be unopposed in 03 for President - I think you would make a perfect candidate.

By the way:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410

Return to Top
#41075 - 11/07/02 08:52 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Shortest political speech in history----and the best!!! Doesn't matter what anyone else promises, I am voting for Andy.

Can we watch the target practice? No Andy, you cannot sell tickets because then your family through 4 generations could retire and we would have to look for a new leader!!

Return to Top
#41076 - 11/07/02 08:55 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Here's my dream sequence - our elected legislators actually listen to their constituents and cast their issue votes accordingly. NOT voting "on their conscience". Who the h*ll cares about YOUR conscience, you were elected to serve the will of the people, NOT your conscience. (Oops, rant tangent. sorry.)

Return to Top
#41077 - 11/07/02 09:07 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
Must agree with ExGovtBabe! Besides do politicans really have consciences?

Return to Top
#41078 - 11/07/02 09:11 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Nah. It's a pre-requisite. To apply for your politicos license, you have to leave your conscience at the door.

Return to Top
#41079 - 11/07/02 09:22 PM Re: Rant-Blowing off steam
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
The Republican candidate for governor of Oklahoma appeared to - he didn't stoop to any mudslinging ads about his opponents, and where did it get him - a loss by less than 7,000 votes!

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4