Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#415611 - 08/29/05 08:27 PM IAProgram for the Compliance Department
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Hi everyone! I'm supposed to do an internal audit of our compliance department. I can't find anything too helpful in the samples I've got...I wondered if anyone had any suggestions (or one you'd share with me).

Thanks in advance!

Jen

Return to Top
Audit
#415612 - 08/29/05 08:52 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
We actually just outsourced this audit. They looked at the program to ensure it had everything and then reviewed the schedule and any reviews done in accordance with the schedule. They also reviewed our policy manuals to ensure the regulatory policies were present and adequate.

Return to Top
#415613 - 08/29/05 09:25 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Jen, everything I do as far as compliance audit is regulation-driven. If you wanted to do something over-arching, I think Kiwi's suggestions are pretty good: make sure that the department is conducting training when necessary, updating policies when necessary, has a reasonable means of maintaining awareness of new or changing requirements, etc...

Return to Top
#415614 - 08/29/05 09:42 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
That's pretty much what I've got in mind. Just checking her compliance audit schedule to make sure she hits all the required areas, CO and staff training, policies, etc. Just wanting to make sure I dont miss anything.

Thank you both!

Return to Top
#415615 - 08/30/05 12:51 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
Audulator Offline
New Poster
The First State
In the future you may want to consider a "continuous audit" of the compliance function. That is, each time you are engaged in a regulatory audit or some facet of an audit that has a regulatory element, determine what the compliance officer has accomplished in that area in terms of consultation, oversight, sampling, etc.

Return to Top
#415616 - 08/30/05 03:02 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
We already do that on our audits, but it wasn't enough for our regulator. They wanted an actual audit of the compliance function, not just making sure reviews are completed and what those reviews entailed or documenting what training had been done.

Return to Top
#415617 - 08/30/05 04:42 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Quote:

We already do that on our audits, but it wasn't enough for our regulator. They wanted an actual audit of the compliance function, not just making sure reviews are completed and what those reviews entailed or documenting what training had been done.

Ditto.

I did find a good program in our Sheshnoff policy, procedures and IA manual. I forget that we have two now!

Return to Top
#415618 - 09/02/05 07:09 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
marybee Offline
New Poster
I have the Scheshunoff Policy, Procedures, and IA on CD. Is this what you're talking about? Why did you say that you had two now? Is there something I don't know about with this manual?

Return to Top
#415619 - 09/06/05 01:09 PM Re: IAProgram for the Compliance Department
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I have two different manuals that have internal audit programs/procedures. Sorry for the confusion!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z