Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#416813 - 08/31/05 06:52 PM Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm just curious because there is so much talk of prayers going out to people and talk of how God will provide strength. Are there any other religious denominations represented on BOL. (post Anon if feel the need)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#416814 - 08/31/05 06:55 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
I am Baptist - guess there are any variations of the meaning "Christian"....good question as I have friends who are Catholic, Pentacostal, and Charismatic that claim to be Christians as well. My opinion, they call it that because it means they are Christ like.

Return to Top
#416815 - 08/31/05 06:57 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
There have been so many religion related threads on here, and none of them have gone too well, I think this might be a bad idea. An open invitation to argue!

Return to Top
#416816 - 08/31/05 06:58 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

true, but, well gee, I'm really just curious. hows this, I'll do a poll!

Return to Top
#416817 - 08/31/05 07:02 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
And here I was going to suggest that the better question was: "Is anyone on BOL Christian?".

And to paraphrase Edward Tufte, "Some are, some aren't."

Return to Top
#416818 - 08/31/05 07:03 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I am Baptist - guess there are any variations of the meaning "Christian"....good question as I have friends who are Catholic, Pentacostal, and Charismatic that claim to be Christians as well. My opinion, they call it that because it means they are Christ like.

There are many variations of Christianity. Christianity is a religion where the followers call Christ their Savior. The sects can be broken down into 2: Catholocism and Protestantism(sp). Under the latter come Lutherans, Baptits, Presbyterians, etc. --everything Christian but Catholic.

Return to Top
#416819 - 08/31/05 07:06 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
I am not Christian, but I offer my prayers to anyone who needs them and assume they appreciate it just the same regardless of what religion I am.

Return to Top
#416820 - 08/31/05 07:08 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you consider yourself part of a particular non christian religion?

Return to Top
#416821 - 08/31/05 07:09 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Although I do claim to be Christian, (I went to a Christian based school, and grew up in a Christian house) I personally don't believe in "organized religions" so I don't attend a church. The reason I do claim to be Christian is because I believe that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins along with many other Christian beliefs...

Return to Top
#416822 - 08/31/05 07:11 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm, interesting

hey thanks for humoring me at the risk of your skins

Return to Top
#416823 - 08/31/05 07:17 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
VioletRose Offline
100 Club
VioletRose
Land Of The Lost
Quote:

I know your question is completely innocuous, unfortunately, I feel uncomfortable discussing my religion in any more specific detail in this forum. The good Lord knows that religious threads can get dicey & I just don’t have time for negativity. I just wanted to voice the fact that those of us who may not share specific religious beliefs with others, still can & will pray for them in their own way.

Return to Top
#416824 - 08/31/05 07:18 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

fair enough, violetrose. Peace out.

Return to Top
#416825 - 08/31/05 07:20 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Although I do claim to be Christian, (I went to a Christian based school, and grew up in a Christian house) I personally don't believe in "organized religions" so I don't attend a church. The reason I do claim to be Christian is because I believe that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins along with many other Christian beliefs...

Return to Top
#416826 - 08/31/05 07:20 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
There is at least one Wiccan on this site, based upon her nickname...

Return to Top
#416827 - 08/31/05 08:05 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Christianity has many denominations,and seems to be the dominant religion in America, so that is probably why so many of us are.

Personally, I beleive most religions have the same beliefs; an almighty spirit, a soul, be good to one another, a hereafter. We just choose to worship/observe/pray in different ways. I don't think we are all that different in the great scheme of things.

Return to Top
#416828 - 08/31/05 08:14 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Christianity has many denominations,and seems to be the dominant religion in America, so that is probably why so many of us are.

Personally, I beleive most religions have the same beliefs; an almighty spirit, a soul, be good to one another, a hereafter. We just choose to worship/observe/pray in different ways. I don't think we are all that different in the great scheme of things."

Nanwa...this is the point that so many people miss. Thank you!

-arye

Return to Top
#416829 - 08/31/05 08:25 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Nicely phrased Nanwa. What is that Buddhist philosophy - many paths to enlightenment?

Return to Top
#416830 - 08/31/05 08:32 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I think a read something once in an old Farmer's Almanac that gave the "Golden Rule" of about a dozen of the world's religions. And that rule was basically, do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

Return to Top
#416831 - 08/31/05 08:35 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Quote:

Ditto Guybrush

Return to Top
#416832 - 08/31/05 08:48 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Many non-Christians in America today fall into the category of "radically unchurched." This phrase was coined by Dr. Alvin Reid who is Professor of Evangelism at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina.

Here is some interesting information taken from Dr. Reid's book radically unchurched: who they are and how to reach them. I have edited some of the information for the sake of brevity. (Keep in mind that Dr. Reid's intended audience is evangelical Christians.)
- - - - - - -
Who Are the “Radically Unchurched” in America?
The “radically unchurched” are those people who have no clear understanding of the message of the gospel, and who have had little or no contact with a Bible-teaching, Christ honoring church. They are “secular people” who have navigated their entire lives beyond the serious influence of Christian churches. It is estimated that approximately 120 million Americans are radically unchurched.

Characteristics of the Radically Unchurched
1. Some are religious, some are not. (Many of the radically unchurched worship some deity – many are second and third generation Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or perhaps follow some New Age philosophy, but all are also very Americanized.)

2. Some have strong moral convictions of some form, others do not.
3. Some are well educated, some are illiterate.
4. Some are wealthy, some live in poverty.
5. Etc., etc. etc.

The radically unchurched cut across virtually imaginable barrier except one – they have virtually no real, personal knowledge of the gospel.
- - - - - - -

Based on what I've seen on the so-called religious threads, I think at least some of us fall into this category.

Return to Top
#416833 - 08/31/05 08:57 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Religion is not my foray because every time I hear a debate on religion and god, I think of John Godfrey Sax's poem "The Blind Man The Elephant".

The moral of Saxe's poem was that often in theological wars, the warring parties rail on in utter ignorance about something that none of them have seem.

As a Hindu I will say a prayer to all my gods (notice the plural, based on ppl's perception that we have many gods!) for a speedy recovery of the affected areas.

That said, god's not going to help - we have to help ourselves. If it was on god to provide the help, why would he get into the mess in the first place? I mean, why would you break something when you know you are the one who will required to fix it anyway.

So, god helps those who help themselves.

Return to Top
#416834 - 08/31/05 09:11 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

That said, god's not going to help - we have to help ourselves. If it was on god to provide the help, why would he get into the mess in the first place? I mean, why would you break something when you know you are the one who will required to fix it anyway.

Interesting comments, Alien, thanks. However, I'd like to suggest that God has allowed us all the freedom to choose. I don't know whether you have children or not, but I can say that I don't want to make all my kid's choices for the rest of their lives -- and believe me, neither do they!

Perhaps He didn't do the breaking, perhaps the breaking is our fault. Sure, He allowed it to happen by giving us the ability to choose our own way, but we are the ones who are responsible for our own actions. (Am I wrong? If so, please give me your side of the coin.)

It's true that God helps those who helps themselves, but He also helps those who call on him for help, whether they can help themselves or not. Otherwise, God is not God, he is something worse, a devil.

Return to Top
#416835 - 08/31/05 09:13 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

This is only partially true. God does help those who help themselves, however, He also helps those who cry out for His mercy and His help. Prayer works!

Return to Top
#416836 - 08/31/05 09:17 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

This is only partially true. God does help those who help themselves, however, He also helps those who cry out for His mercy and His help. Prayer works!

And sometimes He even helps those who are not crying out for His mercy. Consider Paul's experience on the road to Damascus.

Return to Top
#416837 - 08/31/05 09:19 PM Re: Is everyone on BOL Christian?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I mean, why would you break something when you know you are the one who will required to fix it anyway.

What we often fail to realize or acknowledge is that what we would do is not always what God does. He's God and we're not.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2