Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#417032 - 08/31/05 08:29 PM Taking an annuity as collateral?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone ever done this? Do you need a control agreement or an assignment- like with life insurance?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#417033 - 08/31/05 10:38 PM Re: Taking an annuity as collateral?
Sooner Fan Offline
100 Club
Where the wind blows swiftly d...
I can't put my finger on it, but I believe for some reason that you cannot take annunities as collateral. (just like IRA accounts, cannot be used as collateral on a loan)

I just can't remember why.

Return to Top
#417034 - 09/01/05 01:48 PM Re: Taking an annuity as collateral?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It really depends on the annuity - you would have to read the contract. If it is allowed, you would then proceed similar to the way you would if you were taking a whole life insurance policy.

Return to Top
#417035 - 09/01/05 02:46 PM Re: Taking an annuity as collateral?
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Including reading about the assignability (sp) of the policy, also verify that the rights of the assignor and the rights of the beneficiary at time of payout. You could then contact the company for their assignment form and if you approve the form, have the owner and beneficiary sign the assignment. I wouldn't release funds until the assignment is back from acknowledgement.

Return to Top
#417036 - 09/01/05 03:10 PM Re: Taking an annuity as collateral?
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for the help. I guess this is considered insurance so the UCC does not cover it?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z