Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#41913 - 11/08/02 08:12 PM Inquiries by Internal Auditors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recently, and OTS examiner suggested that the internal auditors should not have 'inquiry' capabilities for customer accounts. That is, an internal auditor should not be able to access a customer of the banks' savings, checking or loan accounts, view transactions, balances, etc. Our internal auditors do not, of course, have 'maintenance' capabilities to any account, loan, savings, checking, general ledger, etc. Our internal auditors use the 'inquiry' as a backoffice review tool and cannot see the logic to deny access. Comments anyone? Do other banks limit access for their internal auditors? I appreciate any and all commments.

Return to Top
Audit
#41914 - 11/08/02 08:16 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think that you should thank that OTS examiner for their suggestion and circular file it after he/she turns their back. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. How in the heck could an auditor do his/her job without "unlimited" inquiry access?? Take for example if involved in an internal fraud investigation that the president or board has asked them to perform on the QT ?????

Return to Top
#41915 - 11/08/02 09:04 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
I agree that this is ridiculous. Internal auditors must have access to all information in order to do their job. If you have an internal audit charter, I would see what it says about them having access to corporate and client information.

Return to Top
#41916 - 11/08/02 09:05 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I'll second the rlcarey motion. How can an internal auditor function without access to automated files - they surely have access to any non-automated files.

Return to Top
#41917 - 11/08/02 09:24 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
There is no way I could do my job without the access to all files. I agree that internal audit should never to any type of maintenance but must have the capability to view.

Return to Top
#41918 - 11/08/02 10:27 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I third rlcarey's motion, ridiculous

Return to Top
#41919 - 11/11/02 03:34 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
Anonymous
Unregistered

In response to your question on Internal Auditor inquiry capabilities, that right is afforded to me as the Vice President of Internal Auditing. As an Auditor, there are/will be many occasions when inquiry access may be necessary to conduct certain audit steps and perform fraud investigations. I disagree with the OTS's recommendation to your organization on this topic. However, I agree you should have no maintenance capabilities.

Return to Top
#41920 - 11/11/02 03:54 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I'd ask the OTS examiner what the concern is? Is it an information security or privacy issue that concerns them? It sounds like a very bizarre and unreasonable suggestion to me, but I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand without exploring the reasoning behind the recommendation.

Return to Top
#41921 - 11/12/02 05:39 PM Re: Inquiries by Internal Auditors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiry. I value your opinions and its conforting to know others reacted with incredulity as I did. We will have a conversation with the examiner soon and certainly will ask him what his concern is. Thanks again everyone!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z