Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#420806 - 09/09/05 09:33 PM Complaince Exams
C. Phillips Offline
New Poster
In the compliance exam questionaire, what is the question "Do you have loans that are secured by deposit accounts with interest rates less than 5%" getting at? What are they trying to hook you on, does anyone know?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#420807 - 09/09/05 10:00 PM Re: Complaince Exams
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
The only thing I can think of is that if you have a loan secured by a deposit account that is earning less than 5%, the "Required Deposit" box in the Fed Box needs to be checked.

Return to Top
#420808 - 09/09/05 10:02 PM Re: Complaince Exams
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Look at 226.18(r) and footnote 45 in Regulation Z.

Return to Top
#420809 - 09/09/05 10:15 PM Re: Complaince Exams
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
A key distinction here - you are required to check the box (or include the statement if not a standardized TIL disclosure form) even if the required deposit account does not actually secure the loan. For example, if you have a consumer loan policy that requires consumer loan customers maintain a checking or savings account with the bank, and that account pays less than 5% interest, you are required to give the "required deposit" disclosure language in the TIL even though the loan is not secured by the deposit account. I think the questionnaire is worded the way it is because typically the only time banks require a deposit account be maintained as a condition of the loan is when the loan will be secured by the deposit account.

Return to Top
#420810 - 09/09/05 10:21 PM Re: Complaince Exams
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Oh boy a complaince exam. We just went through one this summer, what fun. Kinda like when the doctor says bend over, this won't hurt.

Return to Top
#420811 - 09/10/05 02:36 AM Re: Complaince Exams
Patton Offline
Texas
As a former examiner, I agree with those that have already responded.

Return to Top
#420812 - 09/12/05 02:40 PM Re: Complaince Exams
Anonymous
Unregistered

MagicBanker,

Can I clarify this just a bit more to be sure I've got it correct. What if say "If you choose automatic loan payments from one of our accounts (i.e., checking, savings) we will give you a .25% discount on your rate. Would that trigger the required deposit disclosure? (I don't believe it would).

Thanks for your help.........

Quote:

A key distinction here - you are required to check the box (or include the statement if not a standardized TIL disclosure form) even if the required deposit account does not actually secure the loan. For example, if you have a consumer loan policy that requires consumer loan customers maintain a checking or savings account with the bank, and that account pays less than 5% interest, you are required to give the "required deposit" disclosure language in the TIL even though the loan is not secured by the deposit account. I think the questionnaire is worded the way it is because typically the only time banks require a deposit account be maintained as a condition of the loan is when the loan will be secured by the deposit account.

Return to Top
#420813 - 09/12/05 07:00 PM Re: Complaince Exams
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
It would not.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z