Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#424589 - 09/18/05 07:26 PM College Students and Online Surveys
Anonymous
Unregistered

My daughter has been approached with an opportunity to make some money in her spare time by completing on-line surveys. The company is NRG Surveys and they claim for a one-time membership fee of $29.95 they will send out surveys which the student can complete on their own time and earn money. The more surveys they complete, the more money they can potentially earn. Just wondered if any of you with college students have heard of this and if your student is actually participating and are they really making any money doing this? Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#424590 - 09/19/05 12:26 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never heard of anything like that...It sounds scammish.

But then again, I am formerly the Minister of Energy for a small African country whose leadership was recently overthrown in a militiary coup. Before the new government could make an exact accounting, I was able to squirrel away $326 million US dollars into a secret numbered account. All I need you to do is....

Return to Top
#424591 - 09/19/05 01:04 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
A_G Offline
10K Club
Being a college student not too long ago I have never heard of anything like this. Anytime you have to put some money up front like that to make money...sounds scammish to me too. I would adivse against doing it.

Return to Top
#424592 - 09/19/05 01:11 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Sounds like a scam. Why would you have to pay them to take a survey? If they were "legit" they would be offering you money to take them. People don't generally like to take surveys so there needs to be an incentive and paying a company $29.95 to get the surveys doesn't sound good.

Return to Top
#424593 - 09/19/05 04:39 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
these people advertise all the time in the Daily Aztec (sdsu). i was goign to do it, but never did. i have no idea if it is a scam or not, but i'm betting that it isnt. my guess is the $30 covers running their site. the payout comes from the companies who request the research.

Return to Top
#424594 - 09/19/05 05:50 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Dipitous - that's what I'm understanding from reading through the info on the site. The $29.95 is a one-time membership fee and the person is paid from the companies who send the surveys. I tried to Google them and didn't get any direct matches but more indirect (movie surveys, etc.) The student won't have to pay any additional fees and can cancel their participation at any time. It almost sounds too easy. Trying to be a good parent and make sure we're checking everything out. They have a privacy policy and do not request SSNs.

Return to Top
#424595 - 09/19/05 06:20 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
If you have to pay up front, it is likely a scam. And they will likely use your information (email address, phone, street address) in ways you are not going to be pleased with. Do not do business with them unless they are an established business and have a clean record with Better Business Bureau, FTC, local authorities, state licensing agencies, etc.... It's only $30, but do your research.

Funny thing, my charge for this advice is exactly $29.95!

Return to Top
#424596 - 09/19/05 06:32 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
Quote:

Is that for everyone who reads this? Or just the person asking for the advice?

Return to Top
#424597 - 09/19/05 09:39 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
BoopGirl Offline
BoopGirl
Crazy Town
Don't do it. You are basicly buying a list of companies. You pay the fee up front, then you have access to millions of survey companies that may or may not be interested in you. You then have to sign up for each one individually with your name, address, interests, etc.

There are many companies out there where you can make money, earn points, or be entered into drawings doing surveys. However, these companies do not have sign up fees. She is better off searching the Internet finding the survey companies herself.

Return to Top
#424598 - 09/19/05 11:09 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Is that for everyone who reads this? Or just the person asking for the advice?

Those who owe me know who they are. They can just send the cash to BOL, c/o zaibatsu.

Return to Top
#424599 - 03/18/06 04:21 AM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
Anonymous
Unregistered

HEARD OF IT. IT IS A SCAM!!!

Return to Top
#424600 - 04/27/06 01:44 AM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did sign up and got scammed out of my money DO NOT DO IT

Return to Top
#424601 - 04/27/06 02:37 PM Re: College Students and Online Surveys
inaccord18 Offline
New Poster
Idaho
Yeah, don't do it. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to try this a few years ago. They take your $30 and send you a user name and password for their site. Like stated before, all you get is lists of websites that you can sign up with (individually mind you) and see if they send you surveys to take. I set up a special email just for this, and I'm glad I did. I got several surveys a day to complete, but none of them were for money. They always say "complete this survey for an entry into our monthly drawing!" or something along those lines. I got one survey for $2 once, but you had to have at least 5 of those from that site before they'd send out any money. So, I spent at least 2 hours signing up at probably 100 different sites, then maybe another hour or so taking surveys before I realized that I wasn't going to make any money. So all in all, I made a total of -$10 per hour... what a waste!!!!

Return to Top