Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#425352 - 09/20/05 06:25 PM Titles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering if there are any "first" vice presidents on the threads. I have been seeing more and more of this title and thought that this position is a level above a regular vice president and a level below senior vice president. Anybody know about this position please advise.

Thank you

Return to Top
General Discussion
#425353 - 09/21/05 12:48 PM Re: Titles
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I got my SVP title about the same time I realized it really didn't matter. It didn't change my job, my authority or my responsibility. It was a promotion of sorts but in many cases the title change is a formality. The organization can do as it wants. I think there is a standard practice that exists, but there aren't rules that dictate this, that I know of.

When I got out of the service I worked at a security company. A small privately owned company. The owner wanted to promote a supervisor. (Probably instead of giving him a raise.) So he made him a sergeant. That meant the owner's daughter went to lieutenant, the wife went to captain and he went to major. I recall thinking, why not just make himself a colonel or general?

I was from a small bank. Big banks are probably more structured and there are responsibility levels with many of these titles, but I an convinced that some are just made up to fit a unique need. This may or may not be the case with FVPs.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#425354 - 09/21/05 01:51 PM Re: Titles
TXFacilitator Offline
100 Club
TX
I was a VP at a very large bank. Like Andy said it really didn't matter much. The only good thing that came out of the title was and extra week of vacation for those who had been with the company more than 4 years. Other than that my job or salary didn't change.

I went to a meeting one time that was for VPs and above. They had to rent out a banquet room at a huge hotel to hold all the people. Made me realize the title was not that big of a deal.

On the other hand, I work for a very small bank now and titles are a big deal. However I have not seen any 1st VPs or list saying this is the role of a VP/SVP, etc.

Return to Top
#425355 - 09/21/05 02:10 PM Re: Titles
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Banks don't have to budget for titles. So, they oftentimes give them out instead of money. Unless they are connected to vacation time or other tangible benefits, the beauty lies purely in the eyes of the beholder. They are right up there with office size, desk size, proximity to the CEO's office, etc. as a valid indicia of power.

Once, when I worked at a community bank, we hired a fellow to be the Executive Vice President. One of my clients thought the title was hysterical and asked me: "What does an 'Executive' Vice President do?" I thought about it and responded, "Anything the President doesn't want to do." My 20+ years of intervening experience would not change my answer.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 09/21/05 02:14 PM.
Return to Top
#425356 - 09/21/05 02:26 PM Re: Titles
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
We are an intermediate small institution and we have 1st Senior Vice Presidents and a Senior Executive Vice President (no FVPs yet). The really only destinction between the levels of officer ranking are between VP and SVP. The benefits change. I have been with smaller institutions prior to this position where titles really seemed to have meant something.

Return to Top