BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#425473 - 09/20/05 07:47 PM Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Is anyone else from the midwest/ Chicago area a little bummed to see the Marshall Field's name go away? I know, that there are more important things going on, but it feels like the end of an era.

Link

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#425474 - 09/20/05 07:53 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
We had Robinson's and May Company - they became Robinsons-May some time back - now they're being changed to Macy's. Yep, I understand.

Return to Top
#425475 - 09/20/05 07:54 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
We used to have Dayton's and then it became Marshall Fields. Now we will lose Marshall Fields.

Return to Top
#425476 - 09/20/05 08:01 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

All stores, offices and operations will remain in place through the 2005 holiday selling season. The company backed its statement that there will be no job cuts as a result of the merger before March 1, 2006.

OK, but after that, watch out:

Quote:

Federated Department Stores Inc. said on Tuesday it is planning to cut up to 6,200 jobs beginning in 2006 and will drop the landmark Marshall Field's name next fall from 62 stores it acquired this year as part of its takeover of May Department Stores Co.

Federated said it plans to sell the Philadelphia-based bridal group division it acquired from May and is studying what to do with its Lord & Taylor division. The Marshall Field's stores will be switched to the Macy's nameplate.

The job cuts will include 1,700 in St. Louis at May's corporate offices and about 4,500 as Federated phases out May's divisional operations in Boston, Houston, Arlington, Va., and Los Angeles. The cuts will start in March.

Federated had pledged not to cut any jobs before March 1 as part of its acquisition of its rival.

Return to Top
#425477 - 09/20/05 08:13 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

All stores, offices and operations will remain in place through the 2005 holiday selling season. The company backed its statement that there will be no job cuts as a result of the merger before March 1, 2006.

OK, but after that, watch out:

Quote:

Federated Department Stores Inc. said on Tuesday it is planning to cut up to 6,200 jobs beginning in 2006 and will drop the landmark Marshall Field's name next fall from 62 stores it acquired this year as part of its takeover of May Department Stores Co.

Federated said it plans to sell the Philadelphia-based bridal group division it acquired from May and is studying what to do with its Lord & Taylor division. The Marshall Field's stores will be switched to the Macy's nameplate.

The job cuts will include 1,700 in St. Louis at May's corporate offices and about 4,500 as Federated phases out May's divisional operations in Boston, Houston, Arlington, Va., and Los Angeles. The cuts will start in March.

Federated had pledged not to cut any jobs before March 1 as part of its acquisition of its rival.

That's the nature of the beast.

Return to Top
#425478 - 09/20/05 08:28 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Bankster Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
That sucks. I still call it Dayton's sometimes! I don't think I can survive another name change. (ok, a little dramatic) I hope the store doesn't change much.

Return to Top
#425479 - 09/20/05 08:30 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Most of the MF jobs that will be lost will be the non-retail positions in Mpls.

Return to Top
#425480 - 09/20/05 08:34 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
PL that stinks.

Return to Top
#425481 - 09/20/05 08:36 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Will we also lose Frango Mints ?

Return to Top
#425482 - 09/20/05 08:56 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I see the value of all of our Santa Bears rising

Return to Top
#425483 - 09/20/05 09:30 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
The corner of State and Madison without Field's?

Return to Top
#425484 - 09/21/05 02:56 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Oh man, that bums me out!

I can remember, as a kid growing up in Chicago, that Mom and Dad would take us on an annual trip downtown. We took a bus and the El to the Loop. We would look at Marshall Field's windows, which had moving Christmas displays that told a story from window to window. So many moving dolls! Polar bears ice skating, walrus' poking their heads out of an ice covered pond, etc. Then, we got to eat out at a RESTAURANT! The only time during the year. Partly because Dad couldn't afford it, and partly because Ma didn't want to deal with squealing kids in a public place.

But Marhsall Field's was always part of my Christmas.

Return to Top
#425485 - 09/21/05 02:59 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
This happened with Lazarus here in Cincinnati over a year ago. Nothing really changed other than the name on the building.

Return to Top
#425486 - 09/21/05 03:12 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
That happened here in the Detroit area. We had JL Hudsons for over 100 years, then it changed to Dayton-Hudsons, and now it's Marshall Fields. Do any of you have Mervyn stores? They are closing all of the Mervyns in Michigan. Mervyns is similar to Kohls and I guess they just can't compete any longer.

Return to Top
#425487 - 09/21/05 03:50 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mom of Princess Nataliebear,

I moved from the Chicago area almost 15 years ago but have such fond memories of Marshall Fields. During high school we would "ditch" school one day during December and take care of our holiday shopping.

When we were younger we would view Field's Christmas window displays, have dinner at Burgoffs, then go and see the Nutcracker at McCormick Place.

To this day, my mother-in-law sends us Frango Mints for the holidays.

Thanks for the memories.

Return to Top
#425488 - 09/21/05 04:05 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Do any of you have Mervyn stores? They are closing all of the Mervyns in Michigan. Mervyns is similar to Kohls and I guess they just can't compete any longer.

I'm not sure which "they" you are referring to. Neither Federated nor May own Mervyn's ... they were sold off last year to a group of investors led by Sun Capital Partners.

All of the Mervyn's stores in MN were closed last year too. I think Kohl's breathed a sigh of relief in our market!

Return to Top
#425489 - 09/21/05 10:36 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Uncle Mistletoe and Aunt Holly at their Cozy Cottage that you walked through on your way to visit Santa. Then coming back downstairs to the restaurant at the base of the Christmas tree to have hot cocoa with a peppermint stick to stir it.

The last time I saw the tree was a couple of years ago when it was covered with Christopher Radko ornaments.

Some things should be left alone...even if someone else buys them out. Macy's never impressed me the way Field's did.

Return to Top
#425490 - 09/23/05 07:02 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
The president of Federated stated in an announcement on Wednesday, that all the traditions of the flagship Marshall Fields store in Chicago will remain, but he didn't say anything about Frango Mints!

Return to Top
#425491 - 09/24/05 03:11 AM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Yes, I grew up in the midwest, Marshall Fields --- Bummer. (psst, most of the guys down here do not know that I am yankee at heart) they think I am strange, but then everyone thinks COs and Auditors are strange.

My christmas ornament just became a collectors item

Return to Top
#425492 - 09/24/05 07:06 AM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
My sister worked at Marshall Fields in downtown Chicago the summer after her freshman year at college. I think she worked in the basement. Abouth the only thing I remember is that she worked with a very prissy guy who was always complaining about his husband.

Return to Top
#425493 - 09/24/05 07:40 PM Re: Say goodbye to Marshall Field's
Tinkerbelle Offline
New Poster
Tinkerbelle
Here's what I heard:
The clock has been granted landmark status, so it stays.
Frango mints will be coming back to Chicago.
Now - Does this mean no more "Field Green"? or will it be "Macy's Green"?
Macy's claims that in their surveys, 80% of respondants had no feeling toward the name change. All I can say is that they must have surveyed nation wide, because EVERYONE I've heard locally is against the name change.
Long Live Marshall Fields!

Return to Top