Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#425965 - 09/28/05 03:38 AM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Today was mostly confusing. We haven't got the biopsy results back from the scopes that were done on Monday, but the doctor is not sure what he saw in the small intestine. The biopsy should provide some answers.

Amanda is in extreme pain today. She is not passing blood any longer (it's been 8 days today!) but the doctors are all confused on why she is in such great pain. He indicated she would not be going home soon. She is pretty depressed. Today is day 14 in the hospital.

My wife and I have had some good talks this week. Things are improving in that area.

Return to Top
#425966 - 09/28/05 12:47 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Thinking of you and your family and asking God to watch over you all.

Return to Top
#425967 - 09/28/05 12:47 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
David
Sorry to hear that Amanda is in so much pain. It is tough being in the hospital and missing out on what should be a fun year in school. My prayers continue for all of you - that Amanda's spirits will be lifted up and that you and Lisa will continue to talk things through and be able to spend some time on your relationship in spite of all that you are going through.

Return to Top
#425968 - 09/28/05 01:41 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
David, my friend, your daughter, your family and yourself are in my prayers.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#425969 - 09/28/05 01:46 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Return to Top
#425970 - 09/28/05 02:08 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
David,
Sometimes scopes can be pretty irritating and could cause her to be in additional pain. And how did they do the biopsy? Through the skin or with the scope? Those areas can also be an additional source for pain. Pain control is a biggie for me - when we are inpatient I am constantly on our doctors and nurses about giving Natalie this or that or something else to control pain.

Natalie has taken Solumedrol before too; in her case it was used as bolus therapy to treat rejection. The dose started LARGE, and then daily it was decreased.

About your relationship...David, I understand 100%. Our relationship went through a series of changes as Natalie's disease worsened. In the beginning we bickered constantly. We took the stress that we were under out on each other. We were constantly unnerved, with everything - the disease, the stress, the wanting our "normal" life back.

Then as time went on we faced acceptance. We learned about Natalie’s condition, and it allowed us to face it. We talked to each other more. I know that sounds silly, but we were so focused on Natalie that we stopped communicating. I can now say that our relationship has never been better. We joke around about everything! We try not to take life too seriously (I have a t-shirt that says, “What am I, chopped liver? Yes I am” - It’s a sick sense of humor). And we work GREAT as a team – short story: In August Natalie was admitted to the PICU – I didn’t think she was going to live through the night, and Jason hadn’t gone with me on this trip, we thought it was just going to be an outpatient procedure. I was alone and scared. I saw him walking down the hall on the way to her PICU room and calm came over me.

Things can change over night – be strong for each other. But know that it’s perfectly OK to be weak sometimes too. May God Bless you.

Return to Top
#425971 - 09/28/05 02:12 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Patton Offline
Texas
David, thanks for the update on your daughter's condition, I was wondering about your family a few days ago. I pray for a speedy recovery for your daughter and for you and your wife.

Return to Top
#425972 - 09/28/05 10:18 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
We will remember you in our prayers. I agree that relationships tend to worsen when things go amiss in families - I always wonder why this occurs. We faced similar relationship difficulty and at points didn't think we were going to make it - and we did overcome and we are now stronger.

We hope you will all make it though the experience with grace and dignity and hope that recovery is soon.

Return to Top
#425973 - 09/29/05 02:30 AM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The BOL family is so great! As I sit and read these posts, I feel so humbled that I am moved to tears. Many of you have sent personal emails and have PM'd me too about how you are praying for us.

I talked to Amanda this evening. They gave her some medicine for the pain & anxiety. I don't know what exactly. She was acting a little silly, although mentally cognizant (I asked her several tough math questions and she responded without hesitation. Then again, she's really good at math). She told me how she didn't have much coordination - must be good drugs!

I laughed with her on the phone. Wow - it's been a while since we laughed together. It was wonderful to hear the joy in her voice again. She normally is so optimistic and full of joy. She truly loves the Lord and He shines through her greatly.

She said the doctor came in today, but she couldn't remember what he said! Unfortunately, my wife was out of the room when he stopped by.

Thanks to all of you for your continued prayers and encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

Return to Top
#425974 - 09/29/05 01:33 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
David
So glad to hear that they were able to give Amanda something for the pain. I am sure it made Daddy's heart joyous to hear some laughter and optimism in his "little girls" voice - even if it was from the medication. I will continue to pray for her and your whole family as God continues to work in and through this situation to bring about something good.

Return to Top
#425975 - 09/30/05 02:42 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Amanda was dismissed from the hospital last night! PTL!

I've got a meeting to go to in 10 minutes, but I wanted to get a quick post out for all of you that have been praying for her and our family. I'll give more details later. She still has a long road ahead of her.

Return to Top
#425976 - 09/30/05 03:17 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
arb Offline
100 Club
Illinois
Terrific news. The road may be long and narrow, but it will lead to a sweet reward! You are all in our prayers.

Return to Top
#425977 - 09/30/05 04:31 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Lavender Offline
Gold Star
Lavender
Our prayers are with you...Please take care of yourself as well.

Return to Top
#425978 - 09/30/05 05:06 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Great news David! God IS Good! Continued prayers for Amanda's health and return to school and activities that she is missing. Have a great weekend.

Return to Top
#425979 - 09/30/05 05:33 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Great news. It isn't over, but it is better. That is a great start.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#425980 - 09/30/05 08:10 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Great news. It isn't over, but it is better. That is a great start.

And I'll second Andy's thoughts!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#425981 - 09/30/05 09:31 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
As promised, here's an update:
Amanda was discharged from the hospital last night! We want to thank all of you that have been praying for her and our family. I think the doctor dismissed her because he didn’t know what else to do. She is still experiencing a lot of pain and he had said on several occasions that she would not go home until the pain was gone. Here’s a quick summary of her situation:

Amanda will call Dr. Attard every 3 days to discuss what is going on – her pain, sleep, medications, etc.

She will continue the 2 steroids and the 6-MP (thanks to Dr. Bulke for the correct spelling J ). This is the chemo drug that will restrain her immune system. She is also on a pain medicine that should help her sleep. She won’t be able to take this during the day, however. She has a few other medications to take as well. Lisa told me that they stopped at our local pharmacy and it cost $285 (that’s with our insurance co-pay) and they didn’t even have the 6-MP. They have to drive to Wal-Mart in Grand Island to get that one! It sounds like Amanda will carry around her own little pharmacy from now on.

I don’t really understand anymore than this. I believe that this is far from over, but hopefully, it will be something Amanda can manage.

God’s goodness has really been demonstrated to us over and over by so many acts of kindness. We have heard from several people that their entire church is praying for Amanda, all because of one of you shared her story! I have been truly humbled. Let me tell you about one act of kindness that truly brought me to my knees:

Last Sunday a man in our church approached me. He asked about Amanda and I gave him an update. He said that he wanted to help us out as we had helped his family in a previous time of need. With that, he shook my hand and discreetly gave me a wadded up dollar bill in his hand shake. I quickly stuck the bill in my pocket and choked out a “thank you” as he walked away. This was difficult for me. On numerous occasions I have give others money, but never have I received a financial gift. “I’m the one that gives others money”, I thought to myself.

A little later I was able to find a corner where no one would see and I pulled the wadded up bill out of my pocket and unfolded it. It was a $100 bill!!! I was expecting $10 or maybe $20, but not $100! I felt like a ton of bricks had landed on me. How could I accept this?!? This must have been a premeditated gift that this man and his wife discussed. People don’t just carry around $100 bills and then just give that much away without thought – do they? You have to understand – God has blessed me financially in the past years and even during this time of expenses, I’m sure I’m still better off financially than this man. I had to return this money, I thought to myself.

With tears in my eyes, I hurried to the foyer of the church looking for this man and I about ran into our Pastor – Zeke. Zeke asked, “what’s wrong?” I told him about the $100 bill (without revealing who gave it to me). Zeke said “do you remember the time when Jesus wanted to wash Peter’s feet and Peter refused?” I answered “yes” as I continued to scan the foyer for the man. Pastor Zeke then said “Unless I wash you, you have no part in me.” He continued “Do not steal the treasure that this man has laid up in heaven.”

BOOM! I stopped and stared at him. Suddenly the thoughts about “I can’t accept this gift” left and were immediately replaced with conviction - I couldn’t receive a gift from the Lord. I could not accept His mercy. I was trusting in myself rather than Him. As I drove home, I prayed and asked for forgiveness for my hard heartedness. I also asked God to forgive me for acting like I was self sufficient. What a humbling experience. Thank you Lord!

Just in case you’re not familiar with the story, here is John 13: 5-9:

After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?" Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." "Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

Thanks to so many of you for your prayers, encouragement and support. Thank you for letting God use you to witness His mercy and grace to me.

Return to Top
#425982 - 09/30/05 09:41 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Great news! This is a start in the miracle that God is beginning to do with your daughter and also your family. As I read your post tears stream because of the goodness of God and His love for His children. Still sending prayers from Texas. God bless you all.

Return to Top
#425983 - 09/30/05 11:06 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
David, what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

God is good. All the time.

Return to Top
#425984 - 10/03/05 01:15 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
David, I'm so glad to hear Amanda's home and doing better. My daughter and I will continue to pray for her daily. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Personally, I would have responded the same way you did to that generous gift. We aren't used to being on the receiving end - we're used to helping. You have a wise pastor.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#425985 - 10/03/05 02:55 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
David - thanks for the update. I think many of us can relate to your reaction to being the recipient of such a gift - it is so much eaiser to give than to receive but your pastor was great to say what he did. Pray God's continued blessings on all of you.

Return to Top
#425986 - 10/03/05 04:50 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
Glad Amanda's back on home turf. Undoutedly that makes all of your family feel better.

Thank you for sharing your story. It's hard to explain tearing up at work but in this case it was worth it.

Continued prayers for Amanda and all your family.

Return to Top
#425987 - 10/03/05 07:02 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I just got off of the phone with David, and I told him I'd post this quick update on a couple of things going on with Amanda so that you can be very specific and deliberate in your prayers.

Amanda is now going back to school half-days and is facing the proverbial problem of eating the elephant in terms of the makeup work she is facing. Please pray that this makeup work not be overly burdensome on her right now, that God gives her the energy to face all she needs to do, and enables her to tackle the work in manageable chunks.

Also, the steroid treatment can and has created a fairly significant puffiness to her appearance that is proving difficult to manage in a high school setting. While Amanda doesn't seem to be vain at all and has a close walk with the Lord, kids in school can be very difficult and it seems that she is struggling with emotional pain especially regarding her appearance right now.

Finally, David says that Amanda is quite talented musically, both vocally and instrumentally. Last year she made all-state chorus and band. Auditions for this year's all-state are this week and she is dealing with the emotional pain of realizing that the scoping treatments she just underwent have made it very difficult for her to participate in that this year.

All in all, this is still going to be a very trying physical, emotional and spiritual time for Amanda and for David and Lisa as well. I know they all would very much welcome your continued and specific prayers.

David, your family in Christ loves you and is holding you up even as we speak.

Return to Top
#425988 - 10/03/05 09:44 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

David, your family in Christ loves you and is holding you up even as we speak.

Amen. Thank you for the update. Many prayers are going up for this wonderful family.

Sirach
My son, when you come to serve the LORD, prepare yourself for trials.
Be sincere of heart and steadfast, undisturbed in time of adversity.
Cling to him, forsake him not; thus will your future be great.
Accept whatever befalls you, in crushing misfortune be patient;
For in fire GOLD is tested, and worthy men in the crucible of humiliation.
Trust God and he will help you; make straight your ways and hope in him.

Return to Top
#425989 - 10/03/05 10:10 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

Thanks to so many of you for your prayers, encouragement and support. Thank you for letting God use you to witness His mercy and grace to me.

Amazing. Amazing story and amazing that you, David, were able to witness His Grace. Thank you for the update. Thanks MagicBanker also.
May God continue to lift you and Amanda and give you strength.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett