Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#425990 - 10/04/05 07:46 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Once again, let me start by saying “Thank you”. So many people have lifted Amanda and our family up before our Lord in prayer. Amanda has received dozens of cards and notes of encouragement. The support has truly been amazing and very encouraging.

Here’s an update of what’s going on in her life:

1. Amanda returned to school on Monday. She is only going for 3 hours. During this time, she attends Calculus and British Literature classes and visits with the guidance counselor (who has been totally supportive). She is not attending Advanced Biology (so far she’s staying current on this topic by self teaching herself), Business Law (she’s a little worried about missing so much on this class) and she is contemplating dropping her Computer Applications class (she can take this next semester).

The only classes she has to have to graduate is one English class (there are certainly easier classes than British Literature), the Computer Applications class and a Sociology class that she has scheduled for next semester. It isn’t a matter of graduating. It’s a matter of finishing what she started. If you know Amanda at all, “Determined” would be an adjective that you might use to describe her. She’s struggling with the mountain of work before her from missing so much school, but she is determined not to be seen as a quitter.

2. I picked her up from school yesterday and today. She was totally wiped out. Yesterday she slept for 3 ½ hours in the afternoon. When she awoke, she told me how disappointed she was that she had taken such a long nap, as she had so much work to get done to catch up. I tried to reassure her that she needed to get her strength back first, get used to the medications and then she could begin to catch up. She’s pushing herself pretty hard – unrealistically, I think.

3. Amanda is on 8 different prescriptions (I had misinformed some of you as some prescriptions have more than 1 bottle). It’s like her own miniature pharmacy. Some she has to take on an empty stomach, some after eating, some 4 times a day, some once per day, etc. etc. etc. Lisa wrote up a time sheet with what drugs to take and when. I can’t remember to take my thyroid pill everyday. Seems like an awful lot for a 17 year old to remember.

4. She cannot drive her car, since she is on a strong pain pill. In fact, she a little “dopey” all of the time which is making it hard for her to concentrate when she’s studying. This is very discouraging for her.

5. Another significant issue is that she won’t be trying out for All-State music this year. She tried out and made the vocal choir last year. She planned on trying out for both the band and the choir this year. Obviously, I’m a little biased, but I believe she would be a shoe in for the choir and would have a very good shot at the band (saxophone). Because of the endoscope that she had on September 26th, she is unable to sing very well (She had 2 tubes down her throat for over 2 hours). Because she is so far behind on studies, she feels that practicing for the band is not a priority. The try outs are this Saturday. She announced yesterday (through tears) that she wasn’t going to try out.

6. She’s still experiencing a lot of abdominal pain even with the pain medication. This still wakes her from sleeping all night and makes it hard to concentrate.

7. I don’t consider Amanda as vain, but she is self conscience of what the steroids have done to her body. Although she has actually lost weight through this process, her skin is puffy (making her look heavier) and the steroids make the pimples come to full bloom. Not exactly what a 17 year old girl would ask for.

That gives you an idea of what she is facing. I hope that this allows you to pray specifically for her. She is still optimistic and joyful. We’ve had some great talks about life; the Lord’s working in her life and what the future may (or may not) look like, because of this disease.

Thanks again for lifting us up. You guys have been great!

Amanda has received several cards from BOL'ers around the country. She's asked me a couple of times "who are these people?" It's kind of hard to explain to her, but this is a family. Thank you.

Return to Top
#425991 - 10/05/05 12:49 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
David
Thanks for the update. It sounds like Amanda is very much like my daughter - determined and definitely not a quitter - no matter what. This determination will see her through this and she will come out a better person for it. At my Bible study the other night we were studying Abraham and the trials that he went through. It was pointed out that our hardest trials usually involve people that are closest to us - that we love the most. I can relate to this as can you. I pray that your trials will be fewer and that you can focus on Amanda's recovery and your relationships. God is good and Nahum 1:7 says "The Lord is good,giving protection in times of trouble. He knows who trusts in him." I pray for God's protection for all of you.

Return to Top
#425992 - 10/05/05 12:53 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You are all still in my thoughts. What a determined young lady.

Return to Top
#425993 - 10/06/05 03:21 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. As a parent of a child with a life threatening illness (cancer) I understand the hardships on the child, siblings and parent relationships. My child is much younger and can not be responsible for his medications and it is a balancing act between medications, homework (or tutoring to make up for missed class), doctor appointments and trying to maintain a "normal" life with friends and family. Normal is a hard thing to define; nothing will ever be as they were, but some things may be better. I know my family has come to make memories with every thing that we do, even the little things matter more. While steriods are a wonderful medication, the impact to the physical appearance is hard for kids. Please try to remember all of these people here online, your clients, and your wide circle of friends and family are praying for your daughter, you and your family. God bless!

Return to Top
#425994 - 10/07/05 12:45 AM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
Wow, you folks sound like you are starting your recovery, now that Amanda's disease has been indentified and a cure is at hand. I continue to pray for you and your wife and your family.

Return to Top
#425995 - 10/07/05 07:42 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Dave,
While I haven't posted before, I've been praying. Thanks for the detailed update about how to pray for Amanda - she sounds like an amazing girl!

And thanks for the great story about the $100. Wasn't God incredibly gracious to both you and the man who gave you the $ to have you run into your pastor before you found the man!

Return to Top
#425996 - 10/11/05 10:08 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
David,

I don't usually come in the Couch, but I read a reference in the Private Forum about "David's Daughter", so I hurried right over. I'm sorry to be getting in at this late date, but please know that prayers for all of you are coming from Oklahoma.

I've told you before how much I admire and respect you. That hasn't stopped. I loved your testimony about the man in church. We do get humbled, don't we.

Thank you for allowing us all the opportunity to share your journey.

Return to Top
#425997 - 10/14/05 08:18 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband has had Crohn's for over 30 years, had 3 surgeries, was on steroids for 10 years until it affected his bones, now on Imuran and various anti-diarrheal medications, and supplements his diet with fluids through a catheter almost nightly. He completed a marathon in the 1980s, loves horseback riding, has travelled nationally and internationally, works fulltime. The Crohns and Colitis Foundation - www.ccfa.org - is a tremendous resource for information.

Return to Top
#425998 - 10/15/05 02:58 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
David, I've also been praying for your daughter,you, and the whole family. Hope everything is going well, but it looks like it is time for you to give us another UPDATE.

Return to Top
#425999 - 10/17/05 07:35 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
David, how is your daughter doing?

Return to Top
#426000 - 10/17/05 10:19 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thank you all for your prayers and support. Amanda has been attending school for 3 hours/day the last 2 weeks. She spends the afternoons working on catching up on all of the school work she missed while in the hospital.

The school has assigned her a "Homebound Teacher" who comes to our house for 1 hour each afternoon. The school has been really great to work with her.

Amanda is far ahead of the catch up schedule that the school assigned. She's very bright. To give you an idea: She has an Advanced Biology class the last period of each day. She has not attended this class since September 13th. The teacher has been giving Amanda her notes and Amanda has been self teaching herself from these notes and the 2 text books. The Homebound Teacher administers quizzes and tests. Amanda has maintained an A in this class [actually, in every class - Calculus, British Literature and Business Law (she hasn't attended this class since 9/13 either)].

Today she attended her first full day since getting out of the hospital. I just talked to my wife and she said that Amanda was tired but happy. She has really missed her friends and the social interaction. When she was only going for 3 hours she missed her friends before school, over the lunch period and after school - all of the "fun" times.

She's still in pain but she basically grins and bears it. She's getting used to all of the medications and is learning to live with her new routine. The steroids have really been hard on her - her face is really bloated and lots of pimples, but she usually has a smile on her face.

Thanks again for all of the prayers and support.

Return to Top
#426001 - 10/17/05 10:51 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
David, it's nice to read how well she's doing, but I have to admit...I'm not remotely suprised I would expect any daughter of yours to be a smart cookie...and a fighter! It sounds like you've raised a wonderful girl. I hope this fight gets smoother for her, and for the family, but I'm thrilled, again, to hear she's handling this so very well!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#426002 - 10/18/05 03:25 AM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thanks. It's a good thing she takes after her mother!

Amanda's taking the ACT exam this Saturday. Last year she got a composite score of 29 - that's in Oct of her Junior year. I got a . . . a little less than that my senior year. I always tell her that she tests better than she is (that keeps her humble).

Return to Top
#426003 - 10/18/05 12:45 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Glad to hear things are improving! Give her our best!

Return to Top
#426004 - 10/18/05 02:22 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
David, this is going to sound crazy, but the Remicade treatment I am using for my psoriasis and arthritis also has the side effect of some acne. Rather than use over the counter stuff, my dermatologist recommended something I thought was wierd, but it's working for me.

Go to a health food store and get Natural Apple Cider Vinegar. Dilute it at 1 part NACV to 3 parts water. Then have her apply it to her affected areas with a cotton ball daily for a week. Then switch it to a 1 part NACV to 2 parts water and see if her skin can handle that much and start using that ratio for a week or two. It should clear it up.

Return to Top
#426005 - 10/20/05 07:07 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
David, another treatment for acne that is recommended on occasion by physicians is Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP 0.5%. It is prescription, but I can use it pregnant, and I was turned on to it by my best friend who has leukemia (read LOTS OF DRUGS to worry about for complications). It works WONDERS, removing pimples in just a few days. It's very cheap too (I pay about $2 a tube which lasts a couple of weeks). She should ask her doc about it. They don't always know about it, but it does work wonders, and it's so safe they use it for diaper rash (lower dose) as well.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#426006 - 10/25/05 06:49 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
compliancegeek Offline
100 Club
Midwest
David - please pick up a copy of "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan S. Rubin. He was diagnosed with Chron's in high school and was deathly ill for quite some time. His story is fascinating and as a result of his modifications in diet and nutritional supplements he is completely free of symptoms and healthier than before.

Return to Top
#426007 - 10/26/05 02:54 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
A friend of mine picked up "the Maker's Diet" the other day...looks VERY reasonable and responsible!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1014344 - 08/06/08 11:11 PM Re: Daughter has Chron's Disease RR Joker
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
David: I was wondering how your daughter is doing today? My daughter is facing a possible diagnosis of this disease at the age of 12. Any information you could provide to me would be very much appreciated.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett