Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#428683 - 09/24/05 02:54 PM Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Ok...so there I was with my wife on our 4 year ann. dinner. Her favorite restaurant is the place called the Japanese Steak House. It's one of those places that are very nice and serve excellent food at high dollar. But that's not why it's expensive. It's expensive because they put on a show for you. The chef cooks everything right in front of you and does tricks for you and the other guests at the table. It's usually REALLY fun, not to mention the food is always great. Then there is a waiter that takes care of anything else you might need like drink refills, sushi, forks, clearing plates and bowles...etc. Well like I was saying I took my wife there and the service was absolutly horrible. I mean just awful. We were there for an hour and a half and I needed a refil for about an hour of it. He was never there but would walk by plenty but let me tell ya, he was hovering over when it was time to pay the bill. Then there was the chef. He was supposed to be the funnest part of the whole experience. Well he wasn't. I don't know if he had just found out some bad news or what but he said about 10 words total the entire time. Didn't do any tricks or anything. I take that back...he tried one trick, screwed it up and then gave up. So we finally got our ticket. I paid and we were on our way. As we were walking to our car IN THE PARKING LOT the waiter came out IN THE PARKING LOT and asked me if I had forgotten anything on the table. I felt my pockets and said "no, I don't think so." He then asked me again if I had "forgotten anything on the table". I checked my pockets again and said "no". He then said "no, you forgot to leave a tip on the table." I thought surly I heard wrong so I asked him to repeat himself and again he said "you forgot to leave a tip on the table." I had never been more insulted. I looked at him and said "NO I DID NOT!" turned around and walked off.
Can you believe the nerve of some people. I am all about tipping if some one does a good job, hell even if they do a decent job. But this was horrible service. What do you guys think?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#428684 - 09/24/05 02:57 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Uh, I am more inclined to tip just because. I always give more if they are great service.

That was pretty ballsy of him to come out to the parking lot for money.

Return to Top
#428685 - 09/24/05 03:03 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
I know. I was pretty mad but I think he could have 'taken' me.

Return to Top
#428686 - 09/24/05 03:08 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
I don't leave a tip if it is horrible service. I used to be a waitress, so I usually tip well, but it has to be earned. A tip should not be automatic. That's why they call it a tip.

Return to Top
#428687 - 09/24/05 03:11 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, that is REALLY nervy!

I probably would have countered with something like, "what makes you deserving of a tip?" or something like that.

Return to Top
#428688 - 09/24/05 03:30 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
I'd have to agree, I definately think they need to earn their tip or at least not be horrible. Especially if theyre in such a nice restaurant they should be giving service to match the price. When the waiter came out and did something like that it'd just reassure me that he has no idea how to deal with customers and definately didn't deserve his tip.

Return to Top
#428689 - 09/24/05 05:44 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
What I have done when I have received bad service is to leave a nominal amount, say a penny or a quarter, and put it on top of a napkin, or the bill on which I have written a note that says something to the effect of:

I didn't forget to give your proper tip. You forgot to give proper service. Thanks for ruining my meal.

If it is an expensive restaurant, you should probably ask for the manager and register a complaint. Management should know when staff is giving lousy service. If the management has any common sense about them, they would try to make amends. They know that if they don't, more than likely that's the last time you will go there, and you are sure to tell many more people about your bad experience.

Return to Top
#428690 - 09/24/05 05:52 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
A a matter of policy, I always leave a tip. But I leave a small tip if the service was particularly bad. Don't forget that others also share the server's tip, such as the bussboys, etc. I don't think they should have to suffer because their server is a jerk. That's why I always leave something.

By the way, it goes both ways. My daughter is a server and if you've never waited tables, you can't understand the way some customers (and store managers) jerk servers around.

Also, I try to make sure I differentiate between bad service and a bad kitchen. Servers should not be penalized just because the cook messes up the dish.

Return to Top
#428691 - 09/26/05 01:19 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
For bad service you can always leave a (_smart_) "tip" such as: Don't pet a burning dog or Never fight a land war in Asia.

Return to Top
#428692 - 09/26/05 01:29 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I generally have for levels of tipping:

Excellent service, no problems, cheerful waitstaff = 20%+

Average restaurant service = 15%

Below average , slow with refills, weak waitstaff = 10%

poor service, problems with orders, indifferent or surly waitstaff (Geno's and Pat's Steaks excepted of course) = <10% to 0

I've worked in the Customer service industry most of my life - I definitely will not stand for lackluster service. If I need to ask repeatedly for drinks, you're already hovering at the 10-12% level.

Return to Top
#428693 - 09/26/05 02:06 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
See I understand that the waiter and the chef split the tip. But the chef was awesome two. I mean c'mon you're not paying 25 buck for a piece of checken and some rice. You're paying for the show. I'm not complaining about the price. I understood before I went their that this was what I was going to be paying. But to pay 57.00 for japanese food is rediculous. You pay for the show and excellent service. Neither were their. I am very frugal when it comes to tipping. My wife hates that about me but I just feel that if you choose to work in that profession then you are completely aware that tips are based on performance not food. If it is awful food but excellent service...I will tip and tip well. But it doesn't matter how good the food is, if the service is as awful as that was I will not tip. And then to come out in the the parking lot and ask for it. Wow. That's something.

Return to Top
#428694 - 09/26/05 02:18 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I wouldn't have left a tip either and after the follow-out to the parking lot I would have been phoning the manager. That's inexcusable.

We took the Junebug to a similar restaurant a couple of weeks ago - she LOVED it and they were so sweet to her. And our service was impeccable as well. She calls the chefs "firemen" now, because of the flaming onion.

Return to Top
#428695 - 09/26/05 02:30 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
I can't believe he followed you out of the building, seems that would be harassment...hhmm.. the nerve of some people. And as far as tipping.. I agree.. if the wait staff is poor.. I am not nearly as generous in giving...afterall you are paying for their service and to sit one hour wanting something to drink...not happening here.. I would have got up and went to the front counter with my glass and asked if I could get some service if I could not have found the fountain myself. Once I went out to eat with some friends...we sat in the booth for 20 mins.. no drinks, no chips, no I'm your server and will be back to take your orders..nothing. After that 20 mins one of my friends said come on follow me.. the bar staff (they had noticed we were there and we had asked them where our waiter was)and some of the bus boys noticed we were leaving.. they are like oh..their leaving etc.. we went right to the host and asked to be seated in another section...which I was glad..one of my friends was working. Anyways, managment come straight towards our table looked right at me and said what just happened...my staff says you all just got up and left...after we explained she was like this will be taken care of immediately. Needless to say, when we go to this resturant now... we get excellent service.

Return to Top
#428696 - 09/26/05 07:30 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Good for you Spivol. I feel obligated to tip, so I do. But at very least, the waiter should have felt obligated to provide service.

Although I mentioned I pay no matter what. You are hiring your waiter/waitress to help you obtain your dining experience. IMHO this guy did not.

Return to Top
#428697 - 09/26/05 08:02 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Peepers Offline
10K Club
See, this is the reason I don’t eat anywhere that doesn’t have a drive thru.

Return to Top
#428698 - 09/26/05 08:47 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Hey Spivol, is that the Japanese Steakhouse on May and 122nd?

Return to Top
#428699 - 09/26/05 08:49 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
NO...this one is in Joplin Mo.
It's on Rangline.

Return to Top
#428700 - 09/26/05 09:16 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Hey Spivol, is that the Japanese Steakhouse on May and 122nd?

Yum Shoguns! Good food

Return to Top
#428701 - 09/26/05 10:01 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
It takes very rare, and very terrible service for me to not leave a tip, but it has happened. If that is the case though, I NEVER leave without discussing the service issues with the manager. The last time I can think of was in Florida and after terrible service (if that's what you called her wandering past the table with her eyes in the air, sending a bus person to take the order, etc.) she and another waitress came up to the table, not to ask about desert or to take our plates off the table, but to ask me where I'd had my "boobs done" Mind you, I don't know these girls, and I've not had anything "done" AND if I had them done in the dining room of the restaurant it was still none of their business! But they apparently thought it was a complimentary question. The table behind us laughed akwardly (they were not quiet about the question). I was PEEVED and when Dawnie gets peeved, her red hair catches on fire

We did slip the busboy a tip, because he tried. But we didn't pay the idiot a dime, AND we didn't pay for dinner.

If you aren't going to leave a tip, be sure to leave a visible notice to the waitstaff that you know about tipping and didn't forget by leaving them a penny. One penny, nothing more. We in the service business ALWAYS knew what that meant.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#428702 - 09/27/05 04:26 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
The only thing I would have added was, when you said you did not forget to leave a tip, I would have said I didn't tip you because your service was terrible. Sometimes it has to be spelled out.

Return to Top
#428703 - 09/27/05 05:34 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
In my opinion, people choose to take those positions and they know what they pay (which is crap), so they should have to work to get the tip or find another job.

Return to Top
#428704 - 09/27/05 05:42 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

See, this is the reason I don’t eat anywhere that doesn’t have a drive thru.

You got it Mr. Peepers.

Return to Top
#428705 - 09/27/05 06:06 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.

Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Last edited by Chi; 09/27/05 06:12 PM.
Return to Top
#428706 - 09/27/05 06:17 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Love that movie.

Return to Top
#428707 - 09/27/05 06:41 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
well sometimes waiters and waitreses just have bad days, just like everyone else that works, When I waitressed I spilled hot coffee on someone and a lot of other things, I do believe you work for your tips, but sometimes it is just a bad day, i would go in the bathroom and kitchen somtimes and cry because people would be upset at me. And i also agree that you should not blame the servers for kitchens errors I don't know how many times i would yell at the cooks and ask them is they could read.But everyone makes mistakes, but walking outside to ask for a tip thats a no no. Sometimes when i'm out with my bf and i'm not happy with the service the drinks need refills, etc. i will do a thumbs up then down and say tip meter is going down. I really appreciate it when the servers actually listen, and they take their time with you as if you are their only customers, even whenm they are busy, thats when you know you have a good server.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2