Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#428708 - 09/27/05 07:44 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
For those who aren't living on waitstaff wages...you may not know it, but many restaurants pay BELOW minimum wage because the tip money is allowed to be calculated into their salary (just a guess of the average tip). SO when you don't leave a tip, which is the norm in the US, they're not even working for minimum wage.

They are also taxed on that "guess" as to average tips. WHile I don't advocate tipping high when service is poor, I certainly don't like to hear about folks who leave a little tip no matter what, and assume that these hard working people "don't deserve the extra" since they know what they were getting into when they took the job.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#428709 - 09/27/05 08:01 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
My first job was at a mom-and-pop owned Italian restaurant where I often had to wait on tables and even go on pizza deliveries, so I agree with Dawnie and Nunzeo. I will certainly tip well for good service and take into account things that are beyond their control. Accidents happen as well, but their attitude is something that they have complete control over, just like refills, clearing empty plates, etc.

The mentality that they deserve it no matter what just doesn't fly with me. Right when I walk in, I plan on leaving 15%. If the service is better than average, it will go up. If the service is bad (again, relative to things under their control) or unfriendly, it will go down. I don't mind if it's slow, so long as the server is friendly and/or acknowledges the delay. I know they work hard.

Return to Top
#428710 - 09/27/05 08:16 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
In the state of Minnesota, wait staff are paid state minimum wage. It used to be they were paid below minimum and the tips made up the difference. Also, there are many ways that wait staff calculate and report their tips. Some use a percentage of ticket sales, some guess an amount and some (very few) put the actual amount.

I tip according to service. Many places around here split tips with cooks, bartenders, etc. If my food is bad, slow getting out of the kitchen and not what I ordered the tip will vary on that just as much as how the wait staff is. If everything is good and to my liking (I'm not fussy) I will leave the usual 15%.

I grew up in a Ma Pa restaurant. Some people just don't tip especially in smaller establishments. After my parents sold their restaurant I worked at a nightclub for a few years. If you kept the drinks coming, the food didn't take to long getting out of the kitchen and you made your customers happy...your tip reflected that. I don't think a tip should always be automatic and expected, it really does need to be earned.

Return to Top
#428711 - 09/27/05 08:51 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I once dumped a Singapore Sling down the back of a customer. I was absolutely mortified! To top it off, the poor guy was wearing a white shirt. I was very apologetic but there wasn't much we could do about the condition of his shirt. He didn't leave me a tip - not that I could blame him! I probably would have tried to give it back if he had. The cost of replacing the shirt would have far out-weighed any tip he would have left me. You know when you're being a sucky waitress or waiter. You should never just assume that a tip will be coming your way. Fortunately, I'm not a waitress anymore. Fortunately for the customers, that is!

Return to Top
#428712 - 09/27/05 09:02 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Vee Offline
100 Club
Vee
North Alabama
You could have said "oh I'm sorry I did forget that!" Then you could have jotted down on a sheet of paper 'A tip on how to be a better waiter!'

Return to Top
#428713 - 09/27/05 09:52 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
What I don't like is when they work the tip into the bill if it is a large group. Especially when the service is poor. There was a case where this happened and the guy who picked up the tab took off the automatic tip from the bill and paid the rest because the service was poor. It went to court. I'm not sure of the outcome but I thought it was deemed a tip is not a legal obligation and he didn't have to pay it. Anyone else hear about this?

Return to Top
#428714 - 09/27/05 09:58 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

What I don't like is when they work the tip into the bill if it is a large group. Especially when the service is poor. There was a case where this happened and the guy who picked up the tab took off the automatic tip from the bill and paid the rest because the service was poor. It went to court. I'm not sure of the outcome but I thought it was deemed a tip is not a legal obligation and he didn't have to pay it. Anyone else hear about this?

Never heard that.. but IMHO.. they cheat themselves ...especially when the service was good...they usually get less that way...because people notice it on their bill and don't feel the need to tip higher. Their loss.

Return to Top
#428715 - 09/27/05 10:01 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
If I see that on a bill I never tip higher. I'm actually quite offended.

Return to Top
#428716 - 09/27/05 10:02 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

...when you don't leave a tip, which is the norm in the US, they're not even working for minimum wage...they are also taxed on that "guess" as to average tips.

Dawnie, I'll bet I've waited tables more recently than you. We were taxed on what we reported, not on some average. And if we didn't report enough to average out to the federal minimum wage, the employer had to make up the difference. And in my years, I never knew of anyone who wound up reporting less than minimum wage more than once or twice (it was VERY unusual, usually someone who wasn't worth what they were getting, and usually someone who didn't stay long, anyway).

Return to Top
#428717 - 09/27/05 10:12 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I worked in a full service restaurant for 9 years (all different positions), you were right to not leave a tip, a few months ago, I had bad service for lunch and took my bill and complained very nicely to the manager about how my waitress had an attitude and gave poor serivce, he appoligized and charged me nothing. I left her nothing.

Return to Top
#428718 - 09/27/05 10:17 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
There is nothing wrong with the practice of including tips. It's the American way. Those that don't like it can always get another job at the worker bee level.

Of course, this is one more thing for democRATS like you to complain about. You need to send in some extra money the next time you pay taxes. Or, gather up the names of all the people involved and spend them money.

Return to Top
#428719 - 09/28/05 03:01 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

I can't believe he followed you out of the building, seems that would be harassment...hhmm.. the nerve of some people.

Harassment?! Nahhh. It might be "stupid," or "agressive," or "obnoxious," but a single incident of following you out in the parking lot to confront you about not leaving a tip is not "harassment."

Return to Top
#428720 - 09/28/05 03:11 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

For those who aren't living on waitstaff wages...you may not know it, but many restaurants pay BELOW minimum wage because the tip money is allowed to be calculated into their salary (just a guess of the average tip). SO when you don't leave a tip, which is the norm in the US, they're not even working for minimum wage.

They are also taxed on that "guess" as to average tips. WHile I don't advocate tipping high when service is poor, I certainly don't like to hear about folks who leave a little tip no matter what, and assume that these hard working people "don't deserve the extra" since they know what they were getting into when they took the job.

You're right, Dawnie, and I agree 100%. I had a situation happen where we had really bad service one night. We even called the manager over to our table to talk about it. However, I still left the server a 20% tip, if for nothing else, to let him know that I wasn't a total jerk and to encourage him to do better next time. I look at my role as being the "balancer," for the times when the server provided *good* service and ended up with a bad tip. (It happens all the time, folks.)

I think my daughter's hourly wage where she works as a server is $2.10. Recently she had a four-top with a $60.00 bill (Applebee's), she gave them good service, and they left her a $1.00 tip. She went to the manager to see if he would help her out by covering some of the tip or comping the bill, but he refused on some technical policy reason. However, she still had to tip out her bartender and busboys based on her gross sales. As a result, she actually *lost* money because of the poor tip.

When you tip poorly, you not only deny wages to the server, you may also be putting him or her in the hole.

Think about it next time you're tempted to leave a poor tip. It's much easier to be generous than stingy.

Return to Top
#428721 - 09/28/05 04:50 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Service bad...........no tip from me!!

Return to Top
#428722 - 09/28/05 05:17 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
For great service I tip 20%, decent service with some problems I tip 18% and poor service but maybe they're just having a rough night or you can tell they tried 15%....if the service is completely unacceptable I usually will contact the manager and ask why I'm receiving this type of service. In my experience the manager usually apologizes profusely, assigns a new server and pays for the meal, even in this instance I leave 15%...as I understand the bartender and the bus person but be tipped out too. I was never server, never intend to be, and appreciate their hard work.

Return to Top
#428723 - 09/28/05 06:06 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's all a dirty karma game. Each Waiter/Waitress has to also tip out their bus staff, the kitchen staff, maybe bar staff too. Everybody gets a piece of the pie.

Not to say that I think anyone should be punk'd in a parking lot on their Anniversary, but if you deny one person a peristaltic reaction of denials spirals out from that incident.

Return to Top
#428724 - 09/28/05 06:18 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
When I was a bus boy in my teens I worked at two different national chains and I never receive a portion of the tip. Neither did the cooks unless the customer specifically left one for them.

The bad day thing doesn't work for me. If I have a bad day it's not acceptable for me to treat my co-workers badly. Leave it at the door. If you can't do that then you should find something else.

Return to Top
#428725 - 09/28/05 10:07 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

When I was a bus boy in my teens I worked at two different national chains and I never receive a portion of the tip.

Let me guess, Steak 'n' Shake, and Waffle House?

Return to Top
#428726 - 09/29/05 01:32 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

When I was a bus boy in my teens I worked at two different national chains and I never receive a portion of the tip.

Let me guess, Steak 'n' Shake, and Waffle House?

Never heard of those.

Embers and Perkins

At Embers we used to just get yelled at by the head waitress. She was mean. But I got my revenge without even trying. One day when the washing area was wet which it always was but the floor was more than usual, she came running back in such a mood and yelling then she disappeared from my line of sight and ended up under the counter. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen. She never came back there again.

Return to Top
#428727 - 09/29/05 01:54 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A

Return to Top
#428728 - 09/29/05 02:01 PM Re: Wow...you've gotta be kidding.
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Mmm....Steak 'n' Shake and Waffle House...I love those grease pits.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2