Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#428830 - 09/27/05 08:47 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

OMG Jokerman! Did you ever see the simpsons australia episode where the us embassy had a flush the northern hemisphied the toilets so that people felt at home? I can't believe this question has left you questioning your self-worth so much.

I remember him calling someone in Australia to find out which way their toilets drained and getting in trouble for the charges. I don't remember the embassy toilets, though.

I'm not questioning my worth. AML-Barbarian may be questioning my worth, however.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#428831 - 09/27/05 08:58 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Jokerman,

I'm not suggesting at all that you're an imbecile. The 'sigh' is more a reflection of me not understanding what you're working so hard to express. The quiz question was just about which way water swirls when it drains down a sink. Just that. It was not a question about the coriolis effect.

So, water draining clockwise in the northern hemisphere isn't the result of the coriolis effect. Peachy. What's the rest of your point for challenging the validity of the answer 'water drains clockwise in the northern hemisphere'?
(Since you *did* write "on the question about water draining, I'm not convinced this answer is accurate.") Have at it, does water drain counterclockwise somewhere in the northern hemisphere?

Return to Top
#428832 - 09/27/05 09:25 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Does it really matter which way the water drains? For all the sink plugs I have pulled in my life I don't recall caring enough to stand there and watch which way the water drains. I'd rather make sure the towel I am drying my hands with is clean! Priorities!

Return to Top
#428833 - 09/27/05 09:53 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The quiz question was just about which way water swirls when it drains down a sink. Just that. It was not a question about the coriolis effect.

If water swirled uniformly one way or another when draining from a sink in a particular hemisphere, it would be due to the coriolis effect. There is no other reason why it would act uniformly.

Quote:

So, water draining clockwise in the northern hemisphere isn't the result of the coriolis effect. Peachy. What's the rest of your point for challenging the validity of the answer 'water drains clockwise in the northern hemisphere'? (Since you *did* write "on the question about water draining, I'm not convinced this answer is accurate.") Have at it, does water drain counterclockwise somewhere in the northern hemisphere?

I'm sure that it drains counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere quite often. I'm also sure that it drains clockwise in the northern hemisphere quite often.

Here's my progression on the issue: Being asked the question in the quiz, I thought about it, and guessed counter-clockwise, based on the direction of hurricanes. (I had heard of the coriolis effect, but couldn't have told you the name.) After I read the answers and was told I was wrong, I didn't think much about it, but later decided to do some research. I found a few good articles, and learned that my hunch about direction was correct, but that it didn't apply to small things like sinks and toilets.

That's my thinking. Why do you think that my conclusion is inaccurate?

Return to Top
#428834 - 09/27/05 10:23 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
The short answer is: experience with sinks.

The somewhat longer answer is:
Having actually used sinks in various parts of the northern hemisphere, I can't recall any that drained counterclockwise. My experience with sinks in the southern hemishpere is more limited, but I enjoyed the novelty of watching the water swirl counterclockwise.

Return to Top
#428835 - 09/28/05 01:32 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Jokerman: To be honest, since you put this in my head I have made it a point to observe every object that contained water which I later caused to drain and 100% of the objects had water draining clockwise.

Return to Top
#428836 - 09/28/05 02:06 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Ok, guys. You're denying basic science using anecdotal evidence. That's pretty smart.

Anyone who can provide me with reputable scientific evidence that there is uniform draining in the northern hemisphere in a clockwise direction may have control over my avatar for the next year.

Return to Top
#428837 - 09/28/05 02:12 PM Re: Monday quiz!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Do we have to ruin everything that's supposed to be fun on here?

Return to Top
#428838 - 09/28/05 02:17 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Ok, guys. You're denying basic science using anecdotal evidence. That's pretty smart.

Actually, we're challenging a theoretical analysis with independently reproduced direct observations. If you had access to a sink and water, you could do the same.

Return to Top
#428839 - 09/28/05 02:18 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What did I do to ruin anything?

Return to Top
#428840 - 09/28/05 03:18 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Anyone who can provide me with reputable scientific evidence that there is uniform draining in the northern hemisphere in a clockwise direction may have control over my avatar for the next year.

I don't see anything unscientific about random sampling across this nation as anecdotal as you may think it to be(bias).

As far as the poster that doesn't think discussion and thinking outside the box is fun: to each his own.

Return to Top
#428841 - 09/28/05 03:38 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Actually, we're challenging a theoretical analysis with independently reproduced direct observations. If you had access to a sink and water, you could do the same.

Quote:

I don't see anything unscientific about random sampling across this nation as anecdotal as you may think it to be(bias).

Nothing unscientific? Please. Independently reproduced direct observations? Sure. But are they scientific? Doubtful.

What is your sample size? How did you measure the basin for any irregularities? How did you remove the drain? How long did you wait to allow momentum to cease? (Better have been at least 24 hours.)

Return to Top
#428842 - 09/28/05 03:40 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
You are going nowhere here J. Face it, it spins clockwise despite your faith in an article which you misinterpreted. I hereby give you a score of 19 with a (-1) penalty for obstinance.

Return to Top
#428843 - 09/28/05 03:54 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

You are going nowhere here J. Face it, it spins clockwise despite your faith in an article which you misinterpreted. I hereby give you a score of 19 with a (-1) penalty for obstinance.

I'm not trying to go anywhere. My avatar challenge, however, continues to go unmet. Also, you are not an arbiter of my score.

But the fact remains, if drains rotate in any uniform direction in the northern hemisphere, it would be counterclockwise; they don't, except under very controlled conditions, because the effect is so small. No physicist can say otherwise.

Also, I have now read several articles on the subject, and am even more confident of this; you cannot discount this as an article which I supposedly misinterpreted. (What do you think I possibly misinterpreted from that article?)

Return to Top
#428844 - 09/28/05 04:00 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Wow! I was kidding. I read the article and it makes perfect sense. I just like ruffling your feathers. I do with your score what I please too. Don't be pissed because I am better than you.
May I direct you to the hypersensitivity thread?

Return to Top
#428845 - 09/28/05 04:01 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Hey Ron quit trying to take my spotlight away - that's MY hypersensitive thread - ha! I was just testing myself to see if I was still hypersensitive...guess so. j/k of course.

Return to Top
#428846 - 09/28/05 04:16 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Wow! I was kidding. I read the article and it makes perfect sense. I just like ruffling your feathers. I do with your score what I please too. Don't be pissed because I am better than you.

Are you better than me because you don't drive a pickup, or just because you didn't vote for "W"? Seems like there was another one...oh yes, or because you went to a better school than me (and I had to work way too hard at the one that accepted me)? Regardless of the reason, I'm not pissed, and nothing in my posts has indicated that I am. Perhaps because that was your intent, you read things into my posts that I didn't say.

Speaking of saying things, what does it say about you that this would be your intent? What are the psychological needs of someone with these tendencies?

Quote:

May I direct you to the hypersensitivity thread?

You may, but I may not go.

Return to Top
#428847 - 09/28/05 05:19 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Gee whiz! Can you take a joke? (I was saying I was "better" because I got a higher score on the subject of this thread) I rather enjoy your perspective and I will allow you to vent on me as you probably didn't understand where I was coming from. Though I do believe you really harbor grudges.

Return to Top
#428848 - 09/28/05 05:25 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Jiminy Willikers! Can you take a joke? (I was listing all the previous times you have said you're better, to poke fun at your habit.)

Return to Top
#428849 - 09/28/05 06:34 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
I believe it's Jiminy Jillikers! (ps I don't know where you went to school. Wherever that may be you probably have a better football team than me) I don't really think I have a habit. That's not my nature so I would be curious as to the context.

Return to Top
#428850 - 09/28/05 07:10 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The context is previous statements that you've made. Your team is likely better, unless it's Div. I-AA.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3