Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#428805 - 09/26/05 06:33 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
I got 11 ... funny how after taking a test like this.. you realize how much you don't pay attention to things. Oh.. and am I the only one who missed... which side of the shirt a lady's buttons are on??... I swear I think I have some shirts that have them.. oppposite of this answer..gonna check my closet. LOL.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#428806 - 09/26/05 06:51 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I'll be in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Mizzora!
-Grandpa Simpson

It's "Missourah," actually, if you are going to write it out. This is always an issue for the politicians - they have to remember if they're in the parts of the state that say "Missouree" or "Missourah".

I got eighteen, but I think that the answer to #9 varies based on whether you have a digital or analog tuner. (Doesn't it?)

Of course, I missed everything about Canadian "money".

Interestingly (at least to me), I missed every single question regarding clockwise v. counter-clockwise. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Return to Top
#428807 - 09/26/05 06:55 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
"I got eighteen, but I think that the answer to #9 varies based on whether you have a digital or analog tuner. (Doesn't it?)"
I gave myself credit for answering 88.1 on the digital tuner. Feel free to give yourself a bonus point (for 19) if you answered this way.

Thanks for the "spelling" help. Just reinforces my lack of desire to visit that dump.

Return to Top
#428808 - 09/26/05 06:57 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Just reinforces my lack of desire to visit that dump.

Who invited you?

Return to Top
#428809 - 09/26/05 07:11 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Tillie Offline
Gold Star
Tillie
I got 15 but I think the key to the one about the blinds is the Venetian part. My mother had them and the cord was on the left but my new blinds have it on the right. Do we still call the new fangled ones "Venetian blinds"?
I cannot believe I could not think of Bashful's name!
My excuse has got to be I hurried too fast.

Return to Top
#428810 - 09/26/05 07:14 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I gave myself credit for answering 88.1 on the digital tuner. Feel free to give yourself a bonus point (for 19) if you answered this way.

I thought it was 87.9.

Also, on the question about water draining, I'm not convinced this answer is accurate. See here.

Return to Top
#428811 - 09/26/05 07:22 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got 19 most people wont know the Canadian one.... Now if hey asked when Thanksgiving was in Canada i could answer cause food is my passion~!

Return to Top
#428812 - 09/26/05 07:29 PM Re: Monday quiz!
I_luv_chocolate Offline
I_luv_chocolate
Washington State
17...the clockwise/counter clockwise questions stumped me also.
Last edited by I_luv_chocolate; 09/26/05 07:31 PM.

Return to Top
#428813 - 09/26/05 07:48 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

I thought it was 87.9.

Also, on the question about water draining, I'm not convinced this answer is accurate. See here.

Good point. There is an 87.7 as well. I will take a half point off my score. However, since I already took a point well-deserved off my score out of good sportmanship, I hearby award myself back another half a point which leaves my total score at 22.

Return to Top
#428814 - 09/26/05 08:27 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I think anyone who answered counterclockwise on the drain question was the more correct, since that is the direction of hurricanes in this hemisphere. Add that to a point for 87 on the FM dial, and I'm at 20. I looked, in vain, for a fan in our office that rotates counterclockwise. I'll be honest and say that I was thinking of it from the direction when you look at it. I was also not thinking of a ceiling fan.

Return to Top
#428815 - 09/26/05 08:33 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
I'm not convinced on your drain answer. I revoke your point you awarded and put you down to 19 again.

Return to Top
#428816 - 09/26/05 08:42 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Anonymous
Unregistered

23. Had I been a female Canadian, I would have only missed two.

Return to Top
#428817 - 09/26/05 08:46 PM Re: Monday quiz!
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I got 16 - felt pretty smart for getting that many correct

Return to Top
#428818 - 09/26/05 09:13 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

I thought it was 87.9.

On the water draining; the picture in the article shows the water swirling clockwise....While I agree that the direction of the water filling the sink would influence the direction in which it swirls while draining, that's only true for faucets that can be placed to one side or the other of the drain, bathroom faucets are usually fixed above the drain.

Return to Top
#428819 - 09/26/05 09:29 PM Re: Monday quiz!
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
According to the answer key I got 20, but I turned on my fan after the quiz and it turns counter-clockwise (if you're looking at the front). I gave myself credit for the lug-nut question because I've had cars with 4, 5, and 6.

So in reality, I got 22. No, really.

If you want me to be a smart alec (sp?), I could say that a stop sign has two sides: front and back.

D'OH!

Return to Top
#428820 - 09/26/05 09:35 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

If you want me to be a smart alec (sp?), I could say that a stop sign has two sides: front and back.

Actually, that would make it 10-sided.

Return to Top
#428821 - 09/27/05 04:46 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I got 14, does that make me twice as good as average?

Return to Top
#428822 - 09/27/05 04:47 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
At least twice as good, Nanwa

Return to Top
#428823 - 09/27/05 04:54 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I only got 12, and I have no excuse, it isn't even Monday anymore!

Return to Top
#428824 - 09/27/05 05:18 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

On the water draining; the picture in the article shows the water swirling clockwise....

So? The point is that the Coriolis Effect would be to cause the water to drain counter-clockwise in the northern hemsiphere. Think about it - the earth's rotation is faster where - at the artic circle or the equator? Therefore, in the northern hemisphere, there would be greater (west to east) force exerted on the top or the bottom? And which direction would that cause something to spin in this hemisphere?

Quote:

...that's only true for faucets that can be placed to one side or the other of the drain, bathroom faucets are usually fixed above the drain.

The location of the faucet is hardly the only factor in providing momentum to a sink full of water.

Return to Top
#428825 - 09/27/05 05:27 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Sigh...Let's review, shall we?

The quiz question was "Which way does water swirl down the drain; counter or clockwise?" The answer was "clockwise, north of the equator."

You suggested the answer was not accurate, not, apparently based on filling a sink with water, waiting for it to grow still, then opening the drain, but by a complex argument involving hurricanes.

Have you filled a sink and watched it swirl counterclockwise down the drain, unaided, in the northern hemisphere?

Return to Top
#428826 - 09/27/05 05:29 PM Re: Monday quiz!
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
I got an 18. I'm impressed with myself.

Return to Top
#428827 - 09/27/05 07:23 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

On the water draining; the picture in the article shows the water swirling clockwise....

So? The point is that the Coriolis Effect would be to cause the water to drain counter-clockwise in the northern hemsiphere. Think about it - the earth's rotation is faster where - at the artic circle or the equator? Therefore, in the northern hemisphere, there would be greater (west to east) force exerted on the top or the bottom? And which direction would that cause something to spin in this hemisphere?

Quote:

...that's only true for faucets that can be placed to one side or the other of the drain, bathroom faucets are usually fixed above the drain.

The location of the faucet is hardly the only factor in providing momentum to a sink full of water.

OMG Jokerman! Did you ever see the simpsons australia episode where the us embassy had a flush the northern hemisphied the toilets so that people felt at home? I can't believe this question has left you questioning your self-worth so much.

Return to Top
#428828 - 09/27/05 08:38 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Sigh...Let's review, shall we?

Sigh...I guess we shall, since you are so kind as to indulge an imbecile.

Quote:

The quiz question was "Which way does water swirl down the drain; counter or clockwise?" The answer was "clockwise, north of the equator."

Ok, there are two issues here. First, if there was an observable coriolis effect in a sink, it would be counter-clockwise, north of the equator. This is a fact. Indisputable. The force that could act on water in a very controlled, very large sink would be the same force that acts on low pressure weather systems, and the water would drain counter-clockwise. Second, the force is simply not enough to have an effect on any sink that you or I are going to fill in order to test this.

Quote:

You suggested the answer was not accurate, not, apparently based on filling a sink with water, waiting for it to grow still, then opening the drain, but by a complex argument involving hurricanes. Have you filled a sink and watched it swirl counterclockwise down the drain, unaided, in the northern hemisphere?

As I have pointed out, there is no reason to do so. It would yield results that are undoubtedly the result of anything other than the coriolis effect, especially if it drains clockwise in this hemisphere!

Return to Top
#428829 - 09/27/05 08:43 PM Re: Monday quiz!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm, this quiz isn't very much fun anymore.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3