Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#432356 - 10/02/05 06:24 AM How safe are our college football stadiums?
That Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
That Guy
I was reading about the explosion that occurred outside of OU’s stadium when I was reminded about something that I thought of awhile back. While homeland security works hard to protect us from terrorist attacks and tries to secure various high risk areas, no one seems to notice that every week 70-110 thousand people pack college stadiums across the country and these are relatively unprotected. It seems there’s nothing to stop someone from driving a u-haul full of explosives right up to the side of Oklahoma memorial stadium and blowing up the east side along Jenks Ave. I bet that’s not the only place that would be easy to get to either, I bet we could think of a lot of ways someone could do a terrorist act at our various home team stadiums. I honestly think security is more concerned with stopping people from sneaking in with alcohol. I know that we can’t ever be 100% secure, but just from what I’ve observed it seems that security is fairly lax at these events and that because of the national exposure and the number of people there that they could be targets.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#432357 - 10/02/05 03:14 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
You have touched on 1 of probably thousands of opportunities terrorists have to harm us, and a little on why we need to kill these ba^*&%^&rds in another country before they get here.

Sealing the boarders, profiling people, enforcement of the Patriot Act, everything that has the possibility of protecting us, are opposed by the myopic fringes, who have a mistaken belief they can negotiate their safety with militant Islam. Pretty hard to talk while your head is being cut off, and it will take a few object lessons like that before the fringe population may start to realize the folly of their thinking.

Nothing like friends and family blown up, for folks to realize that seeing how clever or witty one can be in destroying an opposed political party, is not as important as the unity of our country acting to defeat an enemy that wants to kill us, just because we are infidels in there eyes.

Unless you want to turn the US into a big time police state, there is no way any government agency can protect everyone at all times. Until all US citizens are ready to take the war seriously, accept the fact that militants are coming to kill you, and are willing to participate in efforts to protect our country, there is no guaranteed safety.

Return to Top
#432358 - 10/03/05 02:31 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Unless you want to turn the US into a big time police state, there is no way any government agency can protect everyone at all times.

EXACTLY! But that's what you propose in the beginning of your diatribe. Let's remember that the last terrorist attack in Oklahoma was done by AMERICANS. So, your "sealing the borders, profiling people, enforcement of the Patriot Act (throw the Bill of Rights out the window with the baby and the bath water), etc." wouldn't have done a damn thing to prevent that one.

Return to Top
#432359 - 10/03/05 02:57 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Unless you want to turn the US into a big time police state, there is no way any government agency can protect everyone at all times.

EXACTLY! But that's what you propose in the beginning of your diatribe. Let's remember that the last terrorist attack in Oklahoma was done by AMERICANS. So, your "sealing the borders, profiling people, enforcement of the Patriot Act (throw the Bill of Rights out the window with the baby and the bath water), etc." wouldn't have done a damn thing to prevent that one.

Your point is?

Return to Top
#432360 - 10/03/05 03:00 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
You think McVey was an Islamic terrorist? Will the items stated stop the everyday robbery and murder in this country? Hardly, and thats not what they are designed to do.

Why don't you consider the number cells that have been broken up, and people that have been arrested, which PREVENTED terriosts attacks from taking place, because of the Patriot Act.

I do thank you for the comment as it is a perfect illustration of:

"Myopic"

Return to Top
#432361 - 10/03/05 03:23 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Strange as this may souind, Timothy McVeigh was not a terrorist. He did not make demands. He did not threaten. He did not give notice. He did not hold a press conference or send anything to the media to claim credit.

He was a disgruntled American who chose to commit multiple homicides rather than try to address his issues with the US government.

Maybe you'll see this as splitting hairs, but I certainly don't.

Return to Top
#432362 - 10/03/05 03:28 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
That is a terrorist. A terroist provides "terror". Just because he didn't make a big spactacle doesn't negate the fact.

Return to Top
#432363 - 10/03/05 03:38 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You think McVey was an Islamic terrorist? Will the items stated stop the everyday robbery and murder in this country? Hardly, and thats not what they are designed to do.

Why don't you consider the number cells that have been broken up, and people that have been arrested, which PREVENTED terriosts attacks from taking place, because of the Patriot Act.

I do thank you for the comment as it is a perfect illustration of:

"Myopic"

And your statements are perfect examples of one willing to do away with our personal rights and freedoms.

P. S. How is disagreement with the Patriot Act "myopic?" I think you need a new "word for the day."

Return to Top
#432364 - 10/03/05 03:43 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

That is a terrorist. A terroist provides "terror". Just because he didn't make a big spactacle doesn't negate the fact.

I have to agree that he was a mass murderer and not a terrorist. The terrorist we face now, want us shaking in our boots when we go to bed, when we go overseas, when we go to work, when we check our mail, when we drink our water, when we drop off our kids at school. In fact, they want us scared all day long. Of course, they also want us all dead, but killing 300+ million people is a daunting task. Keeping them scared is easier. Unless I missed something, McVey just wanted to kill and get back at the government. His intention was not to terrify us, but to strike back at our government.

Now, back to the original point. Would Narup's suggestions have stopped McVey or Rudolph? No, but it would certainly would stop the majority of those who want to strike terror and death in America. Should the few suffer for the benefit of the many? I think they should and I would.

I was greatly impressed when I visited the only city in the UK that did not suffer the plague. Why didn't they? Those who had it went out to a pre-determined place to live. Those in the city would take food and drop it off on a roadway for them to pick up later. There was no contact between the sick and the well. Many of those who went into exile died from the plague and they died cut off from families, friends and their normal lives. Their deaths must have been made all the more horrible by this act of selflessness, but the city was saved.

Freedom sometimes means sacrifice.

Return to Top
#432365 - 10/03/05 03:53 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No, it doesn't. At least not in the way the Patriot Act "sacrifices."

Return to Top
#432366 - 10/03/05 03:54 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree that he was a mass murderer and not a terrorist. The terrorist we face now, want us shaking in our boots when we go to bed, when we go overseas, when we go to work, when we check our mail, when we drink our water, when we drop off our kids at school. In fact, they want us scared all day long. Of course, they also want us all dead, but killing 300+ million people is a daunting task. Keeping them scared is easier. Unless I missed something, McVey just wanted to kill and get back at the government. His intention was not to terrify us, but to strike back at our government.

I see your point and retract my previous statement.
Well played...

Return to Top
#432367 - 10/03/05 03:56 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
From reports I have heard so far, the explosion outside the OU stadium was a student committing suicide. Haven't heard if they have figured out a "why" yet. It could have been much worse.

Return to Top
#432368 - 10/03/05 03:59 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
THinTN Offline
New Poster
Volunteer State
The same thoughts went through my head as I was sitting in Neyland Stadium in Knoxville with 107K other fans and a big airliner heading for the airport flew two or three miles from the stadium. In the upper deck, you could see it coming for a while and you could tell other people had some of the same thoughts. Nothing happened, but it could have. That said, thats just one way these terrorists today have made you change the way you think. That thought would have never crossed my mind before 9/11.

Return to Top
#432369 - 10/03/05 04:06 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Crap...I did it again. That last anon was me as well.

Return to Top
#432370 - 10/03/05 04:07 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Don: Who are you labeling as myopic when that label is quite appropriate for your general approach to quelling islamic fundmentalism?

Return to Top
#432371 - 10/03/05 04:18 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
And your statements are perfect examples of one willing to do away with our personal rights and freedoms.
P. S. How is disagreement with the Patriot Act "myopic?" I think you need a new "word for the day."

Myopic means "Lack of discernment or long range perspective in thinking or planning. "

Narrowing your thinking to a "perceived" breach of your rights is myopic. What personal right and freedom have "YOU" been denied? Start looking at the much bigger picture of what these laws are meant to accomplish.

The ill conceived notion that your rights, might, perhaps, maybe, could, possibly, be jeopardized is again myopic. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If government agencies started to become excessively intrusive don't you think as citizens we would correct that?

Why would you be more concerned about your perception that the Bill of Rights has been breeched than the prevention of your death at the hands of Islamic terrorists?

Again - Until all US citizens are ready to take the war seriously, accept the fact that militants what to come and kill you, and are willing to participate in efforts to protect our country, there is no guaranteed safety.

Return to Top
#432372 - 10/03/05 04:19 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Hey other Anon (besides me) log in. Or did you come to this bankers website to push your personal beliefs on everyone else?

Return to Top
#432373 - 10/03/05 04:19 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

No, it doesn't. At least not in the way the Patriot Act "sacrifices."

Instead of conclusions, how about examples of actual cases where freedoms have been sacrificed by the government because of the Patriot Act. I keep hearing, Me Tarzan, you Jane, Patriot Act bad, but that's about where the discussion leaves off. If the Patriot Act is unnecessarily impeding our freedoms, examples are needed, not bumper sticker sayings. I am not rah, rah, cheerleader of the Act, but I don't see the real life examples of intrusions that were not possible before the Act was enacted.

Return to Top
#432374 - 10/03/05 04:24 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
"quelling Islamic fundmentalism"

You've got to be kidding.

I said nothing about fundamentalism. I said Islamic Terrorists.

Return to Top
#432375 - 10/03/05 04:30 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

"Fundamentalists" -- That's what those who are terrorists call themselves.

Return to Top
#432376 - 10/03/05 04:36 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Don: I'm not kidding. I am calling you out.

Return to Top
#432377 - 10/03/05 04:41 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Ron

It not "My" approach to quelling Islamic fundamentalism. Our government has selected a number of courses of action to "quell" Islamic terrorists. Myopathy sets in when attacks are launched against individual tools used in the "quelling" because of some individuals narrow perception.

Return to Top
#432378 - 10/03/05 04:42 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
well when i went to the airport and walked through security I had a nail file and a razor in my purse (they were in my make up bag) and no one said a thing to me, so i really dont believe that we are all that secure

Return to Top
#432379 - 10/03/05 04:43 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
For what it's worth Z I am curious how many examples are available due to the novelty and the cloak and dagger nature of the Patriot Act. I personally think the idea behind it is good. I don't like it for the slight of hand reasons(calling it PATRIOT Act to garner support because to not support it would somehow be unpatriotic). I think there needs to be a balance on the liberties for sure but I won't discount it out of hand because I honestly don't know much about it. Since this snowball is rolling why don't we discuss it a bit?

Return to Top
#432380 - 10/03/05 04:44 PM Re: How safe are our college football stadiums?
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
"Don: I'm not kidding. I am calling you out."

Hey Ron I'm 70 years old but I can still take you. High Noon Dude

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2