Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#432471 - 10/03/05 02:00 PM Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
But I don't. Hopefully, she'll wind up being the best Supreme Court justice ever, one true to the Constitution and unswayed by the political currents.

But right now, she looks like a truly indefensible choice.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#432472 - 10/03/05 02:12 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Or just a truly random choice.

Return to Top
#432473 - 10/03/05 02:24 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Anonymous
Unregistered

No resume, no true experience, no "pedigree". Nice choice!

Return to Top
#432474 - 10/03/05 02:26 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
If they are letting people from SMU Law, I could easily be on the court too. Associate Justice Ron Mexico. Just has a nice ring to it.

Return to Top
#432475 - 10/03/05 04:38 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

But I don't. Hopefully, she'll wind up being the best Supreme Court justice ever, one true to the Constitution and unswayed by the political currents.

But right now, she looks like a truly indefensible choice.

J - I'm curious about your use of the term "indefensible."

Do you know something specific about her, or is it the fact that you don't know anything about her, or is it her lack of the usual types of experience (i.e. elected office, attorney-general type work, judge in any lower court)?

Return to Top
#432476 - 10/03/05 04:50 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

J - I'm curious about your use of the term "indefensible."

Do you know something specific about her, or is it the fact that you don't know anything about her, or is it her lack of the usual types of experience (i.e. elected office, attorney-general type work, judge in any lower court)?

All I know about her is that she's worked as a lawyer, served as chair of the TX lottery commission, and served as counsel to Mr. Bush as President and as governor. A fine career, to be certain, but in no way comparable to the fine, conservative circuit court judges or state supreme court judges from whom the President could have picked a nominee with a proven record. Her qualifications appear to be that she is a woman, and that the President likes her. Not a defensible way to pick Supreme Court justices, IMO.

Return to Top
#432477 - 10/03/05 05:15 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Oh come on, Meirsy will do a heck of a job... just like Brownie did at FEMA.

Bush just needs a wider circle of friends.

Return to Top
#432478 - 10/03/05 05:53 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I can't help but think that he picked her because she doesn't have a judicial record that can be attacked. This may be the future of judicial nominees. With filibustering of judges being the norm now, the only people to nominate are successful lawyers with no writings that actually spell out their opinions on how the constitution should be interpreted. If they have not been on the court, they can easily distance themselves from briefs they have written as being advocacy rather than judicial in nature. That is a shame, but I think our legislators' filibusters may assure that few, if any, judges are ever nominated to the high court again. If one side or the other feels that your judicial approach will hurt their ideology more than help it, they will filibuster--even if your temperament is without politics. If a strict constructionist gets your political ideology into law, then you want strict constructionists. If viewing the constitution as a living documents that can be amended by judges gets your political ideology into law, then you want that type of judge. (Personally, I think the living document argument is right, but it should take a vote of the people to change it, not the stroke of a judge's pen. Thus, I am for strict construction and power to the people.)
Last edited by zaibatsu; 10/03/05 11:25 PM.

Return to Top
#432479 - 10/03/05 06:57 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

(Personally, I think the living document argument is right, but it should take a vote of the people to change it, not the stroke of a judge's pen. Thus, I am for strict construction and power to the people.)

But only because it gets your political idealogy into law. Right?

Frankly, Z, that is a little offensive. You are portraying this from the Bill O'Reilly perspective.

Return to Top
#432480 - 10/03/05 07:49 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
I'm not sure her experience with the Texas lottery commission bodes well. It seems to me they're frequently in trouble over one scandal or another.

Anyway, I was reading an article recently that said we need more non-judges on the Supreme Court. It made the argument that the court needed a broader background of experience from the private sector so that someone would be able to consider the real-life implications of certain rulings. Not sure I really agreed with it (it seemed to mainly argue this point from the view that Big Business needs an advocate), but there could be a certain sense to it. I probably should've paid a little more attention to it before I turned to chuckle at the amusing hijinks of Marmaduke.

Return to Top
#432481 - 10/03/05 11:05 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
When she said Dubya was the most intellegent man she knew, I knew we were in trouble. She really needs to get out more.

Return to Top
#432482 - 10/03/05 11:23 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

But only because it gets your political idealogy into law. Right?

I dunno. Depends on the question now doesn't it?

Bill who?

Return to Top
#432483 - 10/04/05 11:37 AM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

When she said Dubya was the most intelligent man she knew, I knew we were in trouble.

LOL, that was funny. And scary...

Return to Top
#432484 - 10/04/05 12:50 PM Re: Harry Reid Loves Harriet
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

When she said Dubya was the most intellegent man she knew, I knew we were in trouble. She really needs to get out more.

Was this really said? If so, I will try to assassinate her before she has a chance to get confirmed.

Return to Top