Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#433049 - 10/03/05 09:23 PM Geocoder cannot find address
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if this type of question has already been addressed on some thread. But I have a few HMDA address on applications (all of them were declined BTW, surprise, surprise) Those addresses will not geocode. The FFIEC geocoder cannot find the address provided, therefor, anyone have any suggestions on any other means to determine a census tract??

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#433050 - 10/04/05 12:56 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Use your flood certification if you get that from a vendor, we always request census info on them. Your appraisal is another place that should have the census tract.

Return to Top
#433051 - 10/04/05 01:05 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
This may be the hard way, but I have printed maps off of a census website, www.census.gov, and if my software cannot geocode, then I go to the map, locate the address and geocode manually. I update these maps annually and keep a copy on file.

My bank is in a rural area, but one of our offices is in an MSA, so that made us a HMDA bank. I also have a book of maps of my state called the Atlas and Gazatteer to help me pinpoint a location.

Return to Top
#433052 - 10/04/05 01:27 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
You also can locate "cross streets" to the address (using map quest or google maps) and use that information for geo-coding. Often, new housing developments are not listed, but the other streets in the area are.

Return to Top
#433053 - 10/04/05 01:49 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Use your flood certification if you get that from a vendor, we always request census info on them. Your appraisal is another place that should have the census tract.

You have to be VERY careful if you do this. Not all flood vendors have compliance grade census information. Not all guaruntee it even though they do guaruntee their flood zone. Also, I've heard from many banks who were cited because they did just this, were asked by thier examiner how they got the census (usually because it's wrong), and were dinged for using an unverified census source.

Return to Top
#433054 - 10/04/05 05:08 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
You can also try this link:
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/AGS...lang=en&_sse=on

It will geocode some addresses that FFIEC will not.

Return to Top
#433055 - 10/04/05 06:43 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
This just about covers all the ways to do it. The appraisal or flood map should help you pin point the location and then you just have to do some detective work. My favorite part of the job, hence, my name.

Return to Top
#433056 - 10/06/05 08:24 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
Bank Angler Offline
Gold Star
Bank Angler
Just a short drive from Lake E...
If you are using the ffiec software and it shows no address found, click the Get address button. It will show the location of the address. Zoom out to scale 8 on the map and it will show census tract data. We print this out and verify what our Flood vendor provides.
|
|
<)))><

Return to Top
#433057 - 10/07/05 10:36 PM Re: Geocoder cannot find address
Tillie Offline
Gold Star
Tillie
Actually, what we find that ffiec does when the address cannot be found (lot of times it is a rural address), you can click on Get Map of Zip Code Area. This will take you to the center of the zip code for that town. From there, you will need to know the location of the property & move around on the map to find the location and, in turn, the correct census tract, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z