Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#43404 - 11/15/02 06:40 PM OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need to confirm whether we are required to check the OFAC list for "payees" on cashier's checks as well as purchasers and designated recipients of savings bonds sold? savings bonds redeemed? How are other banks handling these? Thanks for any and all help.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#43405 - 11/15/02 06:54 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I would also like to know about Purchaser's of Traveler Checks.

Return to Top
#43406 - 11/15/02 07:01 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
I don't know, but it would make sense. I mean if a check is made out to Osama I think they'd want to know about it. OK that sinario would never happen, but you get the point.

Return to Top
#43407 - 11/15/02 09:05 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Anonymous
Unregistered

The government wants us to check on anybody and everybody. Don't forget the Control list and the soon to be "other government lists" I don't think there is any way we can meet all of their expectations unless you have a wonderful support systam that has the OFAC list built in, otherwise we the financial industry can not verify every item processed in our place of business. Good luck.

Return to Top
#43408 - 11/15/02 09:31 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
I have my tellers check the payee's of cashier’s checks, only if it’s not an identifiable entity, i.e. no need to check Washington Mutual or Allstate.

Return to Top
#43409 - 11/15/02 09:56 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Joan Offline
New Poster
How do you document that the OFAC list was checked?

Return to Top
#43410 - 11/19/02 04:20 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
I know some institutions that retain a log of OFAC searches. We are lucky here in that our IT Dept. actually implemented an in-house system where by we check it on our intranet and there is an audit report that is created showing what you checked, who checked it, date, time, etc. I can get you in touch with our IT Dept. if you want to discuss it further.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#43411 - 11/20/02 03:37 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Joan Offline
New Poster
Thanks for the input. I'll get back to you if we decide to "automate" the search confirms.

Return to Top
#43412 - 11/20/02 09:24 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Anonymous
Unregistered

We print the copy showing no matches, which our software aloows us to do. Yes, we have paper everywhere, but it's the only way we can prove that we verified it and that we used the correct updated file.

Return to Top
#43413 - 11/20/02 09:50 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Joan Offline
New Poster
Thanks for the suggestion- what happens when there's a hit on a payee name? say for example you have a good client who wants a cashier's check payable to fidel castro, and not THE fidel castro but someone your client needs to pay?
Can one of the GURUs comment...what are we to do?

Return to Top
#43414 - 11/20/02 10:45 PM Re: OFAC and cashiers' checks & savings bonds
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
We get 'hits' all the time. We're in a part of the country where a lot of common names are hispanic - as are most Cuban and Columbian names.

We simply research to ensure that this 'Juan Gonzales' is not the same as the Columbian drug lord on the list. We do that by determining where he lives, what his birthdate is, finding out if our bank staff have known him all their lives and gone to elementary school with him, etc.

If you can't determine that the person/entity isn't the one on the list - then you contact OFAC and do as they tell you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett