Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#439958 - 10/12/05 10:50 PM Construction "temporary" to "permanent"
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Some discussion is going on regarding "refinancing" a construction-only loan to an amortized loan and whether or not the bank can still consider this a "renewal" vs. a "refinance". Loan processing states it is a refinance and in our system will give it a new note number. Lender does not want it to have a new note number as this will "payoff" the original loan and the bank then "loses the history" (that is a system issue). We feel that loan processing is correct and that this should be treated as a refinance and it would be HMDA reportable (as long as the new loan is secured by a dwelling). Just wanted some other thoughts on whether the bank can actually continue to classify this as a "renewal" vs. a "refinance"? Thanks for your help!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#439959 - 10/12/05 11:30 PM Re: Construction "temporary" to "permanent"
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Actually, for HMDA purposes this would be considered a purchase loan. How you classify it internally or how you handle the loan number and loan history is really an operational issue.

Return to Top
#439960 - 10/13/05 05:00 AM Re: Construction "temporary" to "permanent"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for catching me, this would be reported as a purchase on the LAR (I knew that....) guess I got caught up in the operational discussion. Regrouping now..

Return to Top
#439961 - 10/14/05 01:11 PM Re: Construction "temporary" to "permanent"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Following up, leaving HMDA out, if the loan changes from single pay to amortized payments would this not be considered a "refinance" since you are now changing the terms and will get a new note? Or could this in fact be a "renewal" since it is still technically the same loan (if no new money is advanced)? I always struggle with this as to understanding the difference or again is it really an "operational" issue? Thanks!

Return to Top
#439962 - 10/14/05 01:49 PM Re: Construction "temporary" to "permanent"
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The conversion of a construction loan to permanent financing is still considered a residential mortgage transaction. Whether you consider it a renewal or refinancing for your accounting system is up to you, however appropriate disclosures will be required since a new note is satisfying and replacing the old note.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z