Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#44021 - 11/19/02 08:32 PM Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Sylacauga, Al, United States
We all were so involved in the posting for being an Internal Auditor and so many things came to light through the postings, I thought I would like to share a book that I have read that has an excellant structure not only for life but also for an organization.

"Racing To Win" by Joe Gibbs

Mr. Gibbs speaks of how everyone in an organization is important and how a good leader (coach) will help everyone to be part of the same team for one goal, including auditors. How many people accomplish things without other people's help? Not me!

He also refers to the Bible for life's plans including work. And how God wants us to be the best we can be at everything including work. It is very inspirational and motivational. It also makes alot of sense.

Hope you enjoy!

Opinions are mine not my employer

Return to Top
Audit
#44022 - 11/19/02 08:43 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Thank you for the positive information

Return to Top
#44023 - 11/19/02 08:54 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
You are welcome! I like working for organizations where everyone is a treasured gem and work for the common goal. We all get busy and do not look at each other from that aspect. Our bathrooms would be a mess if not for some people, our customers would not be happy campers if not for some people, and our internal control systems would be a mess if not for some people. But do all these people work together and appreciate each other for what they contribute?

Return to Top
#44024 - 11/19/02 09:03 PM Re: Good Book
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
He didn't actually mention auditors in the book, correct?

Return to Top
#44025 - 11/19/02 09:12 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
I am not telling you. You will have to read for yourself.

No, he did not, just trying to tease you. But I bet he would be amazing to work for.

He strive for quality. Quality is only achieved by everyone attempting to do their best together not individually. There is a difference between quality and perfection. Sometimes when I mention being the best we can be, people interpretate at meaning perfection. No one is perfect, we make mistakes, but we can strive for quality.

Also people should be placed where they can add the most value to the company, each other, and personally. they will work harder and have more fun at it.

Read the book, I hope you will like it.

Opinions are mine.

Return to Top
#44026 - 11/19/02 09:25 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Actually, Joe Gibbs is from my hometown and he did use to work in a bank in risk mgmt. I'm sure it was his confrontations with CFO's that inspired the book

Return to Top
#44027 - 11/19/02 09:25 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
Anyone know of any IA specific books?

Return to Top
#44028 - 11/19/02 09:30 PM Re: Good Book
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Whew! I thought this was going to be a question about the Bible, and after the heated discussion about affinity cards for religious institutions, I was gonna take cover!

Return to Top
#44029 - 11/19/02 09:38 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Actually, I do. Go to the Institute of Internal Auditors Website at www.theiia.org They have various books for auditors. Not necessarily organizational motivational but they do apply to our jobs.

I am more of a get involved in the fore-front type auditor. anyone can find critizim in people but it takes much more effort to develop a team and work together approach. This must be my management skills still coming out. Personal opinion. although, independency at some level must still exist.

But auditing books do provide knowledge, although the compliance schools are much more fun and offer team building skills.

Opinions are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#44030 - 11/19/02 09:45 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
What are affinity cards?

Also, just for the record, I do not speak religion in my work environment, although I do bring religion into my work. There is a difference. I would not want to offend anyone. But for me, my belief has always provided me my direction on who I am but I realize it is not who everyone else maybe. I just tend to speak more openly here.

Return to Top
#44031 - 11/19/02 09:48 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
That is amazing that he worked for a bank.

What is really amazing is how experiences and/or other people can affect each others lives. I treasure that!

Return to Top
#44032 - 11/19/02 10:07 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Of course, I'm not one to rain on the parade, but here's the amazon Stoplight Review on this book:

I'll sum whole book for you, June 6, 2002
Reviewer: A reader from Washington, DC
"God is everything". That's it. That's the whole book. You are not in control and God has a master plan already set just for you. Give yourself up to God and life will be grand.

Needless to say I was very disappointed in this book. I am (was) a fan of the Washington Redskins and I am a huge NASCAR fan so naturally I was attacted to this book by Joe Gibbs.

I do not mean to say that his hypothesis is incorrect (trust in God) but a 300 page book that states the same thing over and over???

Don't bother with this book unless you need reinforcement that God is the way of life. But if that is your passion, you should already be following in His footsteps so there should be no need for this book. If you are not a particularly religous person, this book will be way too much for you.

Save your [money]. Better yet, put the [money] in your collection plate on Sunday. It will do more good there.

The amazon.com Stoplight Reviews:
Are based on how well the review was written and how helpful it was deemed by our customers. We surface them on the site so that you can get good information quickly. Spotlight Reviews are calculated on a daily basis for most items in our catalog with customer reviews.

Return to Top
#44033 - 11/19/02 10:21 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
And another readers review from amazon.com....

I can only remember finishing one book cover to cover in my lifetime......until this book. I love NASCAR and this book really inspired me to chase my dream and never ever give up. I can relate to some of the stories so maybe thats why I enjoyed it, but I have reccomended it to so many people. I was reading some of the other reviews and can't believe how people are downing Mr. Gibbs for being so religous in his writings. I dont know about you, but Im not perfect....and it never hurts to read an inspirational book like this to draw me closer to the kind of person I should be. Way to go Mr. Gibbs, A+ book!

See Grist...life is like a buffet..take what you like - but don't spit on the rest.

Return to Top
#44034 - 11/19/02 10:22 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for sharing that with me.

I feel bad for the reviewer if that was all they got from the book. Of course as auditors we know that everyone interpret's things differently and it is all personal opinions, including mine. But I enjoy books that not only speak of being a Christian but more importantly how to be a good person (team player) in every aspect of my life including work. It is much easier to be part of the team when you are in management. A team auditor is much more difficult to achieve. and with the prior posting on being an Internal Auditor, I thought maybe we could all use a bit of advice on attempting to achieve being part of the team players (within reason of course)

I especially do not want to offend anyone with speaking of religion. I will "cool it". Sorry!

Return to Top
#44035 - 11/19/02 10:33 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
I checked out the IIA bookstore, and there seems to be many good books, however, any you can recommend as a "must have" I’m looking for something Academic in nature. I tend to stay away from motivational books, they seem too preachy to me, regardless of any religious leaning.

-Kevin

Return to Top
#44036 - 11/19/02 10:46 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Perhaps you didn't read my devils' advocate post on the other thread - it was all a test to see if a little cutting edge, or over the edge, input would provide some energy to encourage the poster group to respond. It did - it worked.

Return to Top
#44037 - 11/19/02 10:46 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
One more thing I would like to add.

For anyone that has gone to compliance school, I am assuming you walk away with knowledge on making compliance part of a "team approach" atmosphere. I attribute my knowledge and desire for this type of approach for both compliance and audit to Lucy Griffin. Although, she does not speak of religion in her teachings, her guidance as being a "good" human being is the same. Just like when she tells us to treat the cooks, waiters, cleaning people, etc with respect and tell them what an excellant job they have done for us while at school. I believe it is her way of helping us to acknowledge everyone's part in an organization no matter what their job function is.

This book was saying the same thing to me, just in a different approach.

And although this "chatline" as my husband puts it, is for issues we have with work, I see developing a team effort within our organizations as being one of the most difficult items to achieve and anything that can help us accomplish our goals is worth chatting about and/or recommending. Personal opinion.

So my intent for sharing this book was not about religion, it was providing another source to get our jobs done while being "good" people in the process.

Return to Top
#44038 - 11/19/02 10:48 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
But, it's not the Spotlight Review!

Return to Top
#44039 - 11/19/02 10:49 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Have you considered looking into the BAI's CBA (certified bank audit) designation. I was recently approved to test and the study material has been very good reference material. I don't know if you can get it without submitting application though. Also, regarding compliance, you can find a free online reference manual that is very easy to use and understand at www.kirchman.com. It is in pdf and you can download.

What I am looking for are resources regarding industry standards for internal control procedures. Most of my recommendations are based on experience and an accumulation of resources. However, I would like to have specific resources when challenged or questioned and for guidance when I am not so sure myself. Is anyone aware of anything that covers areas such as night depository, safe deposit boxes, physical security, collections, consigned items, etc. and what standard practices/procedures are recommended?

Return to Top
#44040 - 11/19/02 10:51 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
You are getting real close to the edge on this subject - please exclude me.

Return to Top
#44041 - 11/19/02 10:55 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
One that I really liked was Assessing Risk - Internal Auditor Tool Kit. It helps take you through the process in general. Subdivisions are Risk Assessment such as identification, measuring, and prioritizing. Other subdivisions are Assessing Risk in Auditable Units, Building the Annual audit Plan, Documenting and Reporting, Risk and Control Self-Assessment, and Professional Standards.

I have also obtained other valuable books from there but since so much is focusing on risks now, I thought you might like this one.

And it is definitely not spiritually motivational but is is mentally motivational.

Return to Top
#44042 - 11/20/02 03:04 PM Re: Good Book
RVFlyboy Online
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
BAI's Study Guide for the CBA exam is significantly out of date (last major revision was in 1993), but they are working on that. I'm currently under contract with BAI to rewrite the sections on Bank Compliance, so I'm diligently working on that every evening and weekend. Hopefully, you'll be pleased with the outcome.

Return to Top
#44043 - 11/20/02 06:24 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Although it has been good reference material, I had noticed that some info had changed and some info was not covered at all. I usually refer to it for accounting standard references and general operations issues.

But now that you mention it...I have been wondering for the issues that have changed, surely the test will cover the correct/updated information and since the test is so broad, if you are not aware of all changes/updates that have been made and you answer in accordance with the book - what happens? for example - I had noticed that the review guide still referred to CTR exemption limits and so does the simulation test - although all should be aware of this change what if there are other changes you may not be aware of - especially in FASB's and SFAS and you answer in accordance with the review guide Have they issued updates that at least give reference to information that is no longer applicable.

Return to Top
#44044 - 11/21/02 01:11 AM Re: Good Book
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
My boss requires us to read one leadership article a quarter, and do a report, and read one leadership book (or is it two?) a year, and do a report. I must say I enjoy going to Barnes and Noble to browse the selections, and settle down with a cup of coffee while I make my decision on the book. Most of the books are inspirational and help me to see things from a different perspective. I know they help me to be a better leader and team player, along with my natural winning personality, of course. I'll look at the book you suggest on my next visit. Thanks.

My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#44045 - 11/21/02 02:46 AM Re: Good Book
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thanks for the tip Maria. I ordered the book yesterday.

Return to Top
#44046 - 11/22/02 04:43 PM Re: Good Book
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
Jim,
I just received the study guides last week. Sorry to hear they were so out-of-date. They no longer offer the sample question CD. Do you think they will offer any type of discount when the newly revised editions are ready? Any idea when your evenings and weekends will be free again?

Return to Top
#44047 - 11/22/02 09:15 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Ann:

You are very fortunate to work for a leader that is attempting to instill good values within your organization. I admire and respect his intentions. With that type of "head" leadership, there is no doubt your organization will develop many quality leaders within. and it sounds like you are one of them.

Thanks for sharing that with me. what other "good" qualities do you use within your organization?

Opinions and requests are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#44048 - 11/22/02 09:22 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
I, on the hand, would be quite offended if my boss made me do "book" reports, especially when it comes to instilling good leadership, which I believe can not taught in a book.

Return to Top
#44049 - 11/22/02 11:37 PM Re: Good Book
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Why would you be offended? Leadership techniques can most certainly be explained in a book. Good leaders are not born. Phil Jackson, the head coach of the LA Lakers, requires book reports of all of his players. He is obviously VERY successful and so are the teams he coaches.
Last edited by David Dickinson; 11/22/02 11:40 PM.

Return to Top
#44050 - 11/22/02 11:51 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
I think it would offend me that my boss treated me like a high school student trying to force me to learn. Like I’m not smart enough to develop my own leadership style or strategies.

I think it’s just my attitude these days. I’m tired of Managers/Execs reading self-help and going to conferences and thinking they stumbled on some hidden knowledge from God and trying to push it on the staff only to have it either fail or falter 6 months later...

IMHO. This culture of self-help/motivational books and theories, the book taught leadership techniques and the hiring of consultants stems from people who are afraid (or cant) think for themselves. They want crutches and aides...and I think that's sad.

I'm just ranting... It’s Friday, and it’s been a tough week.

Return to Top
#44051 - 11/22/02 11:53 PM Re: Good Book
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
That must be why the Lakers aren't a very good team.

Have a great weekend!

Return to Top
#44052 - 11/23/02 12:13 AM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
The lakers are a good team because Shaq is a 7'2 360lbs thug, and Kobe Bryant is a 25 year old Phenom.

Return to Top
#44053 - 11/23/02 03:31 PM Re: Good Book
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Yes, I am very fortunate. A good quality many of us use within our own risk management team and throughout the company is to pray for each other and the company's leaders on a daily basis, privately. I know it got us through a grueling FDIC exam in FL that lasted 5 months. Unlike anything I've ever seen, but we won some major battles, if not the war. And that's all I'll say about that.

Return to Top
#44054 - 11/23/02 04:05 PM Re: Good Book
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
I appreciate your point of view and am sorry you had a bad week. But I can assure you that I and the others are not treated like high school students being forced to learn. If I didn't see the value in these assignments, I would certainly make my opinions known - just ask my boss.

The choice of what I read is mine. Here's an excerpt from Making Horses Drink from the chapter on Communications.

Leadership begins with listening to many things:

To the "winds of change" and the broader economic environment so that you don't lead your people into the nearest brick wall. To the advice and experiences of those who've come before us in the hope that they have left us some good ideas and techniques we can use. To ourselves, so that we don't accidentally bring a negative attitude to work with us and "muddy the emotional waters" for everyone else.

And certainly leaders must communicate with their people, early and often. We need to listen for their ideas, we need to explore their needs, we need to use communications skills to inspire and focus and motivate them. And we certainly need to use listening to know when to use many other leadership skills.

You might not think communication has anything to do with riding horses, but all great riders are also great communicators - they are constantly in touch with their horse and are receptive to their horse's thoughts. Great communication is essential for leading horses, and for leading businesses well too.

I do think for myself and I believe knowledge empowers me to be a better person and leader. This is not a crutch, IMHO.

Return to Top
#44055 - 11/25/02 02:35 PM Re: Good Book
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Let's see...Shaq was there for several years, along with Kobe Bryant, before Phil Jackson and his incredible leadership training, but they couldn't win the big ones.... Phil arrives, installs some great leadership training, and they win it all several years in a row. Hmmm.... correlation????

Return to Top
#44056 - 11/25/02 03:18 PM Re: Good Book
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I see your point. Execs are "big picture" people. They go to these conferences, they read these books, and they get this rosy image of their organization with people that have all of these great qualities that they are hearing and reading about (and understandably so). So they go about trying to change it and I think that they get frustrated when it doesn't happen. I think it also frustrates employees when they feel like they are being forced. Character change isn't something you can task or put into a five-year strategic plan. It has to come from within. People have to want to change or improve. Guys like Phil Jackson are successful leaders because they have that something that all great leaders have. IMHO, it's really an intangible. It's the ability to get people to want to work together and give their all towards a common goal. Communication is part of it, but there's something more to it than that. I do think, though, that having employees read books is helpful. In the bank I work at, I have to read books, but I get to choose which ones (they do have to fall in certain categories, like personal enhancement, job development, etc.). The thing I like about that is the choice I have. Anyhow, that's my two cents. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Return to Top
#44057 - 11/25/02 03:41 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
In reply to:

It has to come from within

That says it all. It's kind of like the person that has to go out and buy the perfect outfit, running shoes, portable stereo, etc. simply to start excercising, but in the end doesn't exercise because the original idea came from a book, the newspaper, a doctor, a friend, but not from within.

Here's an interesting quote:
In reply to:

All men and women are born, live, suffer and die. What distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about. We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live.
— Joseph Epstein

Return to Top
#44058 - 11/25/02 04:04 PM Re: Good Book
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Leadership, drive and attitude most definitely come from within. The prerequisite is a 'want to' on the part of the employee. However, we don't develop leadership skills, teamwork, communication skills, etc. in a vacuum. Someone somewhere inspired us, helped us, taught us, shared ideas they thought we could benefit from.

While being required to read a leadership book and give a book report may annoy you - remember that not everyone is at the same point in their personal development that you are. Management's job is to manage the big picture, among other things. If your management uses the book report approach, unless you can convince them you should be exempt from the homework, you'll just have to classify this as one of those 'other duties as assigned' and make the best of it!

Return to Top
#44059 - 11/25/02 05:42 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Actully, I could write the book, so some day you may have to do a book report on my book.

You are correct about personal development, but that can also be applied to the management types - do as I say, not as I do - is big in the executive suite.

As Galileo said, "You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." Reading books is a good start, but only if you are ready to receive the information. It's always interesting to read a good book and reread the same book months or years later - most of the time you notice stuff the second time around that was "missed" at the first reading.

Return to Top
#44060 - 11/26/02 03:15 AM Re: Good Book
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I sure hope the book wouldn't be a constant test of our tempers and "sparkability". Those don't always sell well. I get enough of that reading regulations!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#44061 - 11/26/02 03:37 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
sparkability?

Is that a regional word, used somewhere on this planet?

Anyway, perhaps you have not noticed that the most popular threads are those that have the most diverse points of view, including Frivolity threads. So, think of it this way, "Reality Has No Feeling" and tempers/sparkability just fade away.

Return to Top
#44062 - 11/26/02 07:05 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
KSherrel:

I also disagree with you that good leadership skills can not be taught in a book. Good leadership skills are obtained continuously and in many resources. Hopefully we learn the "good" from others and throw away the "bad". We learn from each and every experience we have. We learn from our communications right here with each other. We are constantly learning, at least if we allow ourselves. Yes, maybe something things are born in us to a degree, but hopefully we develop and grow until the day we die, that way we are constantly improving.

Also, my thanks to everyone who posted or mailed me from this thread. I have learned much from each of your thoughts and writings also.

Return to Top
#44063 - 11/26/02 10:21 PM Re: Good Book
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
sparkability = the ability to spark others

(Coursey dictionary of the left drawer)

I think the best place to learn good leadership skills is from a good leader! Aside from that, I'm not easily inspired by a book, but on occasion the wisdom of those leaders you don't have the ability to spend quality time with, is worth reading about.

I advise you find "Leadership skills of Attila the Hun" it's my favorite

Return to Top
#44064 - 11/26/02 10:38 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I agree with you! Unfortunately good leaders are hard to find and a good book just shows you, more often than not, how bad your leader is.

Actually, sparkability could have a dual meaning just like spark, e.g., friction versus enthusiasm, so I'd like to think that I create enthusiasm (sparkability), especially when excitable people are involved - like you.

Return to Top
#44065 - 12/05/02 09:59 PM Re: Good Book [Maria]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just discovered this message board today, and have found a lot of helpful information already. I had done some audit work in the past, and am back into it again as a result of "starting over" several years after going through an acquistion/merger [long story...too long to tell here.] Maria, I like your point about the need for team work...and as for the religious aspects of your comments, I feel like that being a Christian should be a natural reflection of all parts of our lives, including our work...and if we find points from the Bible and our Christian lives that help to illustrate the importance and value of team work and cooperation, then let's use them. I certainly understand the desire not to offend [and perhaps I worry about that too much...] but I have often heard that it is not so much what you say, but how you say it...of course, in just typing and reading words on a message board post, it's harder to discern "tone". Interesting thought, though, that an auditor's job may very well involve offending others...yet offending others does not have to be done in an offensive way...which hopefully is a comment that makes sense. In any case, thanks for the good thoughts and recommendations!

Return to Top
#44066 - 12/12/02 02:36 PM Re: Good Book
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dawnie--I just watched the movie Insomnia and there was a line in there that said something like: "there are only two kinds of Alaskans--Native Alaskans and those running from something." I assume you are not native, so....

Return to Top
#44067 - 12/13/02 01:43 AM Re: Good Book
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
In reply to:

I just watched the movie Insomnia and there was a line in there that said something like: "there are only two kinds of Alaskans--Native Alaskans and those running from something." I assume you are not native, so....

You can't prove it!

That was why I hated that movie so much! So many sterotypes! Did you notice that in that little native village...there were NO natives from Alaska. (the Cherokee with the long pony tale dosen't count). And the village...the real one, is located on mud flats of the Yukon. It's dirty, ugly, and not one of my favorite places to visit. But..there are natives there and umm they're natives, not a bunch of white folks like in the movie. No hotel, no restaurant, no lovely town to DRIVE to! (no one is the bush can drive from town to town) and we're nearly smart enough to solve our own crimes...we don't call detectives from Cali....esssshhhh look what you did to me...got me ranting!

The person I umm run away for...was the writer of that danged film, I had her bagged up in an Alaskan native beaded baby sack and thrown off her Hollywood set!!! (I also braided her hair like a Cherokee and explained the difference to her).

The only accurate thing about that movie...was the insomnia of your first year here! No darkness was HELL!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z