Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#44021 - 11/19/02 08:32 PM Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Sylacauga, Al, United States
We all were so involved in the posting for being an Internal Auditor and so many things came to light through the postings, I thought I would like to share a book that I have read that has an excellant structure not only for life but also for an organization.

"Racing To Win" by Joe Gibbs

Mr. Gibbs speaks of how everyone in an organization is important and how a good leader (coach) will help everyone to be part of the same team for one goal, including auditors. How many people accomplish things without other people's help? Not me!

He also refers to the Bible for life's plans including work. And how God wants us to be the best we can be at everything including work. It is very inspirational and motivational. It also makes alot of sense.

Hope you enjoy!

Opinions are mine not my employer

Return to Top
Audit
#44022 - 11/19/02 08:43 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Thank you for the positive information

Return to Top
#44023 - 11/19/02 08:54 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
You are welcome! I like working for organizations where everyone is a treasured gem and work for the common goal. We all get busy and do not look at each other from that aspect. Our bathrooms would be a mess if not for some people, our customers would not be happy campers if not for some people, and our internal control systems would be a mess if not for some people. But do all these people work together and appreciate each other for what they contribute?

Return to Top
#44024 - 11/19/02 09:03 PM Re: Good Book
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
He didn't actually mention auditors in the book, correct?

Return to Top
#44025 - 11/19/02 09:12 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
I am not telling you. You will have to read for yourself.

No, he did not, just trying to tease you. But I bet he would be amazing to work for.

He strive for quality. Quality is only achieved by everyone attempting to do their best together not individually. There is a difference between quality and perfection. Sometimes when I mention being the best we can be, people interpretate at meaning perfection. No one is perfect, we make mistakes, but we can strive for quality.

Also people should be placed where they can add the most value to the company, each other, and personally. they will work harder and have more fun at it.

Read the book, I hope you will like it.

Opinions are mine.

Return to Top
#44026 - 11/19/02 09:25 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Actually, Joe Gibbs is from my hometown and he did use to work in a bank in risk mgmt. I'm sure it was his confrontations with CFO's that inspired the book

Return to Top
#44027 - 11/19/02 09:25 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
Anyone know of any IA specific books?

Return to Top
#44028 - 11/19/02 09:30 PM Re: Good Book
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Whew! I thought this was going to be a question about the Bible, and after the heated discussion about affinity cards for religious institutions, I was gonna take cover!

Return to Top
#44029 - 11/19/02 09:38 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Actually, I do. Go to the Institute of Internal Auditors Website at www.theiia.org They have various books for auditors. Not necessarily organizational motivational but they do apply to our jobs.

I am more of a get involved in the fore-front type auditor. anyone can find critizim in people but it takes much more effort to develop a team and work together approach. This must be my management skills still coming out. Personal opinion. although, independency at some level must still exist.

But auditing books do provide knowledge, although the compliance schools are much more fun and offer team building skills.

Opinions are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#44030 - 11/19/02 09:45 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
What are affinity cards?

Also, just for the record, I do not speak religion in my work environment, although I do bring religion into my work. There is a difference. I would not want to offend anyone. But for me, my belief has always provided me my direction on who I am but I realize it is not who everyone else maybe. I just tend to speak more openly here.

Return to Top
#44031 - 11/19/02 09:48 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
That is amazing that he worked for a bank.

What is really amazing is how experiences and/or other people can affect each others lives. I treasure that!

Return to Top
#44032 - 11/19/02 10:07 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Of course, I'm not one to rain on the parade, but here's the amazon Stoplight Review on this book:

I'll sum whole book for you, June 6, 2002
Reviewer: A reader from Washington, DC
"God is everything". That's it. That's the whole book. You are not in control and God has a master plan already set just for you. Give yourself up to God and life will be grand.

Needless to say I was very disappointed in this book. I am (was) a fan of the Washington Redskins and I am a huge NASCAR fan so naturally I was attacted to this book by Joe Gibbs.

I do not mean to say that his hypothesis is incorrect (trust in God) but a 300 page book that states the same thing over and over???

Don't bother with this book unless you need reinforcement that God is the way of life. But if that is your passion, you should already be following in His footsteps so there should be no need for this book. If you are not a particularly religous person, this book will be way too much for you.

Save your [money]. Better yet, put the [money] in your collection plate on Sunday. It will do more good there.

The amazon.com Stoplight Reviews:
Are based on how well the review was written and how helpful it was deemed by our customers. We surface them on the site so that you can get good information quickly. Spotlight Reviews are calculated on a daily basis for most items in our catalog with customer reviews.

Return to Top
#44033 - 11/19/02 10:21 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
And another readers review from amazon.com....

I can only remember finishing one book cover to cover in my lifetime......until this book. I love NASCAR and this book really inspired me to chase my dream and never ever give up. I can relate to some of the stories so maybe thats why I enjoyed it, but I have reccomended it to so many people. I was reading some of the other reviews and can't believe how people are downing Mr. Gibbs for being so religous in his writings. I dont know about you, but Im not perfect....and it never hurts to read an inspirational book like this to draw me closer to the kind of person I should be. Way to go Mr. Gibbs, A+ book!

See Grist...life is like a buffet..take what you like - but don't spit on the rest.

Return to Top
#44034 - 11/19/02 10:22 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for sharing that with me.

I feel bad for the reviewer if that was all they got from the book. Of course as auditors we know that everyone interpret's things differently and it is all personal opinions, including mine. But I enjoy books that not only speak of being a Christian but more importantly how to be a good person (team player) in every aspect of my life including work. It is much easier to be part of the team when you are in management. A team auditor is much more difficult to achieve. and with the prior posting on being an Internal Auditor, I thought maybe we could all use a bit of advice on attempting to achieve being part of the team players (within reason of course)

I especially do not want to offend anyone with speaking of religion. I will "cool it". Sorry!

Return to Top
#44035 - 11/19/02 10:33 PM Re: Good Book
KSherrell Offline
100 Club
KSherrell
CA
I checked out the IIA bookstore, and there seems to be many good books, however, any you can recommend as a "must have" I’m looking for something Academic in nature. I tend to stay away from motivational books, they seem too preachy to me, regardless of any religious leaning.

-Kevin

Return to Top
#44036 - 11/19/02 10:46 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Perhaps you didn't read my devils' advocate post on the other thread - it was all a test to see if a little cutting edge, or over the edge, input would provide some energy to encourage the poster group to respond. It did - it worked.

Return to Top
#44037 - 11/19/02 10:46 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
One more thing I would like to add.

For anyone that has gone to compliance school, I am assuming you walk away with knowledge on making compliance part of a "team approach" atmosphere. I attribute my knowledge and desire for this type of approach for both compliance and audit to Lucy Griffin. Although, she does not speak of religion in her teachings, her guidance as being a "good" human being is the same. Just like when she tells us to treat the cooks, waiters, cleaning people, etc with respect and tell them what an excellant job they have done for us while at school. I believe it is her way of helping us to acknowledge everyone's part in an organization no matter what their job function is.

This book was saying the same thing to me, just in a different approach.

And although this "chatline" as my husband puts it, is for issues we have with work, I see developing a team effort within our organizations as being one of the most difficult items to achieve and anything that can help us accomplish our goals is worth chatting about and/or recommending. Personal opinion.

So my intent for sharing this book was not about religion, it was providing another source to get our jobs done while being "good" people in the process.

Return to Top
#44038 - 11/19/02 10:48 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
But, it's not the Spotlight Review!

Return to Top
#44039 - 11/19/02 10:49 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Have you considered looking into the BAI's CBA (certified bank audit) designation. I was recently approved to test and the study material has been very good reference material. I don't know if you can get it without submitting application though. Also, regarding compliance, you can find a free online reference manual that is very easy to use and understand at www.kirchman.com. It is in pdf and you can download.

What I am looking for are resources regarding industry standards for internal control procedures. Most of my recommendations are based on experience and an accumulation of resources. However, I would like to have specific resources when challenged or questioned and for guidance when I am not so sure myself. Is anyone aware of anything that covers areas such as night depository, safe deposit boxes, physical security, collections, consigned items, etc. and what standard practices/procedures are recommended?

Return to Top
#44040 - 11/19/02 10:51 PM Re: Good Book
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
You are getting real close to the edge on this subject - please exclude me.

Return to Top
#44041 - 11/19/02 10:55 PM Re: Good Book
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
One that I really liked was Assessing Risk - Internal Auditor Tool Kit. It helps take you through the process in general. Subdivisions are Risk Assessment such as identification, measuring, and prioritizing. Other subdivisions are Assessing Risk in Auditable Units, Building the Annual audit Plan, Documenting and Reporting, Risk and Control Self-Assessment, and Professional Standards.

I have also obtained other valuable books from there but since so much is focusing on risks now, I thought you might like this one.

And it is definitely not spiritually motivational but is is mentally motivational.

Return to Top
#44042 - 11/20/02 03:04 PM Re: Good Book
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
BAI's Study Guide for the CBA exam is significantly out of date (last major revision was in 1993), but they are working on that. I'm currently under contract with BAI to rewrite the sections on Bank Compliance, so I'm diligently working on that every evening and weekend. Hopefully, you'll be pleased with the outcome.

Return to Top
#44043 - 11/20/02 06:24 PM Re: Good Book
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Although it has been good reference material, I had noticed that some info had changed and some info was not covered at all. I usually refer to it for accounting standard references and general operations issues.

But now that you mention it...I have been wondering for the issues that have changed, surely the test will cover the correct/updated information and since the test is so broad, if you are not aware of all changes/updates that have been made and you answer in accordance with the book - what happens? for example - I had noticed that the review guide still referred to CTR exemption limits and so does the simulation test - although all should be aware of this change what if there are other changes you may not be aware of - especially in FASB's and SFAS and you answer in accordance with the review guide Have they issued updates that at least give reference to information that is no longer applicable.

Return to Top
#44044 - 11/21/02 01:11 AM Re: Good Book
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
My boss requires us to read one leadership article a quarter, and do a report, and read one leadership book (or is it two?) a year, and do a report. I must say I enjoy going to Barnes and Noble to browse the selections, and settle down with a cup of coffee while I make my decision on the book. Most of the books are inspirational and help me to see things from a different perspective. I know they help me to be a better leader and team player, along with my natural winning personality, of course. I'll look at the book you suggest on my next visit. Thanks.

My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#44045 - 11/21/02 02:46 AM Re: Good Book
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thanks for the tip Maria. I ordered the book yesterday.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z