Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#445417 - 10/21/05 05:16 PM Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am an educated woman in her 40's. I am entering into a new relationship with a partner and we both got tested for STDs. I was floored when mine came back positive for Herpes. I got it tested further and it is Herpes 1 (oral herpes, not genital). As I've done research on the topic, I have discovered that "cold sores" (which I have had slight cases of, at most once a year) are really Herpes 1. Also, most people acquire Herpes 1 in childhood (up to 60% by age 12) and that up to 80% of the adult population has them. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to protect my new partner (who is negative) and not freak out over the whole thing. It is stated that most people don't know that this is Herpes or that they have Herpes, and I was one of them. I figured that there may be others out there who are in the boat I was in. . .? Any advice from others in this situation would be appreciated, and hopefully this will also serve as a warning to those who didn't know that cold sores is really herpes, an STD.

Return to Top
#445418 - 10/21/05 05:40 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I am an educated woman in her 40's. I am entering into a new relationship with a partner and we both got tested for STDs. I was floored when mine came back positive for Herpes. I got it tested further and it is Herpes 1 (oral herpes, not genital). As I've done research on the topic, I have discovered that "cold sores" (which I have had slight cases of, at most once a year) are really Herpes 1. Also, most people acquire Herpes 1 in childhood (up to 60% by age 12) and that up to 80% of the adult population has them. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to protect my new partner (who is negative) and not freak out over the whole thing. It is stated that most people don't know that this is Herpes or that they have Herpes, and I was one of them. I figured that there may be others out there who are in the boat I was in. . .? Any advice from others in this situation would be appreciated, and hopefully this will also serve as a warning to those who didn't know that cold sores is really herpes, an STD.

Hey.
What's your name, honey?

Return to Top
#445419 - 10/21/05 06:02 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I had shingles on the upper quarter of my face, which included my eye, and developed a Herpes Zoster virus in my eye from the outbreak. So there are numerous herpes viruses out there, not all are STD.

Return to Top
#445420 - 10/21/05 06:13 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just talk honestly about it, but don't use the word Herpes up front. After you talk completely about the symptoms and he seems ok with it, you should mention that it actual a herpes 1 virus. No need to alarm him upfront and put him on the run. If after hearing the medical side of it, he'll take the word herpes better. If he hears herpes first, he won't hear the rest of it.

Return to Top
#445421 - 10/21/05 06:21 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Hey.
What's your name, honey?

Real funny. Grow up, Jerk.

Return to Top
#445422 - 10/21/05 06:25 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, for crying out loud.
If we can't laugh at our own oral herpes, what's left?

Return to Top
#445423 - 10/21/05 07:17 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I've had fever blisters as long as I can remember. It's about as common as the common cold. If memory servies me, I believe the virus lives in the cheek area and I forget what releases it, but for me it's stress, chapped lips or fever. I can tell you this...get some L-Lysine and if you feel one coming on...start it about 3 caplets a day. If you want to prevent it, generally 1 a week will do the trick...they neither or you need worry about it...I don't believe it's "contagious" unless "active"..again, going off memory!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#445424 - 10/21/05 07:25 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is going to sound gross, but the most effective remedy I have found for cold sores is ear wax. Dab a little on the sores and they go away fairly quickly.

I am just glad the cure is not snot.

Return to Top
#445425 - 10/21/05 07:32 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never heard of the ear wax remedy. Weird.
But I know of a pretty sure cure. I remember my mom telling me this one, years ago...she'd kinda shake her head and say, stop having sex in public restrooms.

Return to Top
#445426 - 10/21/05 07:46 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cold sores or Herpes Complex I is not caused by sex in a public restroom; they are not even strictly an STD. Honestly, the responses that are posted in these threads sometimes! I know you must be going for a laugh, but this person is in pain and searching for answers. Stop trying to be funny and remember there is a real flesh and blood person behind these posts. If you can't bring something positive to these conversations, please just restrict yourself to posting to the threads which are not asking for honest, decent answers.

For the original poster, you need to know and understand that you have not done anything wrong. A cold sore is a very common affliction and can be controlled and not transmitted to your partner if you use a little restraint and common sense. The first thing you need to do is to talk to your doctor and find out what the best remedy for you is and what safeguards exist for your partner.

Good luck!

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#445427 - 10/21/05 07:54 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
I get cold sores occassionally. They can be transmitted like and std and become one. If you have a cold sore, and perform oral $ex, then he can contract it. Be careful. It's not the end of the world. He won't get it if you don't kiss him when you have an outbreak.

Return to Top
#445428 - 10/21/05 08:01 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I get cold sores occassionally. They can be transmitted like and std and become one. If you have a cold sore, and perform oral $ex, then he can contract it. Be careful. It's not the end of the world. He won't get it if you don't kiss him when you have an outbreak.

If i may so, I think it is the sex acts that got this poster into trouble in the first place.
Maybe you should wash your mouth out with soap, huh?

Does your mother know you type words like that?

Return to Top
#445429 - 10/21/05 10:30 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
My first indication is that the "partner" is NOT a male.

Return to Top
#445430 - 10/21/05 10:33 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
OMG.. yikes.. LOL..

Return to Top
#445431 - 10/21/05 10:36 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

eeewwww, Rainbow, is that you?

Return to Top
#445432 - 10/24/05 05:58 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
Not me. Thank goodness.

Return to Top
#445433 - 10/24/05 07:47 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, right!? See, this is what happens when you come out of the closet, so to speak, and someone posts an anon thread like this one, you get to be the first suspect. Now we all think that you are the original poster.

Return to Top
#445434 - 10/24/05 07:52 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, it isn't Rainbow.

Return to Top
#445435 - 10/24/05 08:04 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
i heard that you can pass the virus even when you aren't having an outbreak--the virus is present in your saliva befoe you show outward symptoms of the blister.

always wear sunscreen chapstick (i breakout whenmy lips get sunburned), take lysein as a preventative (one a day or one a week, whatever), at first sign/tingle of a blister take 2 valtrex followed by two more 12 hours later, and use abreva as long as you have the blister (apply several times a day).

i've been getting these things since i was in fifth grade! probably from sharing a soda with a kid who was passing the virus without having an outbreak. DEFINITELY don't kiss or let anyone come into any sort of contact with your blister or body fluids during an outbeak--it is highly contagious! i kissed someone who said they had the virus and didnt mind if i had a coldsore once, and they broke out in a blister 2 days later! turns out they didnt have the virus (i was just so dang irresistable that they wanted to kiss me no matter what! ).

as far as you and your partner, be open, let them knwo you have oral herpes and not genital (though they can be passed to private parts) and dont do anythign during an outbreak! in fact, don't do anything unless you are serious enough with this person that you are willing to share your virus with them (since it is possible to pass it on unknowingly).

Return to Top
#445436 - 10/24/05 09:04 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

::as far as you and your partner, be open, let them know you have oral herpes and not genital (though they can be in fact, don't do anything unless you are serious enough with this person that you are willing to share your virus with them (since it is possible to pass it on unknowingly)::

so could this be a double trouble? both people knew about the virus, but like you said, you're so darn irresistable. I think this coulple is at double fault, someones love shouldnt stop at a coldsore. I guess helping each other nurse there way to better health would have been the better answer, kisses only work for boo-boo's..

Return to Top
#445437 - 10/24/05 09:06 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you and the other guy gonna get back together and do another WHAM album?

Return to Top
#445438 - 10/24/05 09:10 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Did you just say Boo-Boo's while talking about herpes?!

Return to Top
#445439 - 10/24/05 11:04 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
I don't even know why we are talking about herpes. It is a cold sore. Great.

Return to Top
#445440 - 10/27/05 03:20 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

But what about the reunion tour?

Return to Top
#445441 - 10/27/05 03:37 PM Re: Cold sores = Herpes
Anonymous
Unregistered

far as you and your partner, be open

Isn't that how this problem got started?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett