Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#445712 - 10/24/05 04:34 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I never actually had the goal of being a banker. It was something I just fell into... If I could do it all over again, I'd have been the heavy weight champion of the world (probably not due to the fact that I can't fight worth beans, but a man can dream)....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#445713 - 10/24/05 05:32 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If I could do it all over again, I will be a screenwriter and movie director. Which, I have been doing in my spare time and plan to film in the spring.

Anon because I don't want anyone associating my silly dreams with the day-to-day reality I work in.

I too, wish to be a screenwriter and have been working very hard on script for the last few months. I've found that the book "Story" by Robert McKee has helped me out a lot in terms of organizing and focusing my thoughts.

Return to Top
#445714 - 10/24/05 05:33 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
*sigh*

Never wanted to be in Banking (although my degree is in Finance). I worked in the clothing industry doing product development and merchandising for surf, skate and snowboarding clothes and accessories. I loved it and that's what I wanted to do with my life. But, somewhere out there, some idiots decided it would be a good idea to fly jetliners into buildings, thus sending the retail market into a downward spiral. Long story short: I got laid off. A friend of mine was a loan processor and the real estate boom was just beginning, the bank she worked for needed help, I needed a job...and I have been with it ever since. This is definitely not what I had planned for my life. But it has brought about some good things and I can see paths within banking that I would be interested in taking. Let's see how it turns out!

Return to Top
#445715 - 10/24/05 05:36 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

*sigh*

Never wanted to be in Banking (although my degree is in Finance). I worked in the clothing industry doing product development and merchandising for surf, skate and snowboarding clothes and accessories. I loved it and that's what I wanted to do with my life. But, somewhere out there, some idiots decided it would be a good idea to fly jetliners into buildings, thus sending the retail market into a downward spiral. Long story short: I got laid off. A friend of mine was a loan processor and the real estate boom was just beginning, the bank she worked for needed help, I needed a job...and I have been with it ever since. This is definitely not what I had planned for my life. But it has brought about some good things and I can see paths within banking that I would be interested in taking. Let's see how it turns out!

wow... i want to make clothes and purses and shoes, and have a fragrance i love fashion, and the industry!!!sounds kinda like we have something in common wanna go into busines together LOL

Return to Top
#445716 - 10/24/05 05:36 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Hmmmmm Gatto your avatar and my boss should have a "meeting" if you know what I mean.

Return to Top
#445717 - 10/24/05 05:45 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Nunzeo - I have considered it several times over the years. I would like to open a shop. I am also a seamstress, a pattern-maker, a jewelry designer and have a few other talents that would lend themselves well to going into that type of business for myself. The major stumbling block for me is my irritating sense of responsibility. I am a single mother of a small child so I cannot go traipsing off and putting myself and my finances at risk. *sigh again*

Builder Chick - let me know the time and place and I'll make sure my avatar is there. Maybe I will go into the hit-(wom)man profession!

Return to Top
#445718 - 10/24/05 06:57 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
huntik Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
I just took a teller job for the bankers hours while putting my husband through grad school. I have three years left and then I'm free!!!

Return to Top
#445719 - 10/24/05 07:01 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Return to Top
#445720 - 10/24/05 07:05 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I believe I have always wanted to be a banker. I used to balance my mothers checkbook as a toddler, and oh, the times she would take me through the drive through, I'd swoon. I did my 4th grade book report on an article about finance trends in Kiplinger's. Hmmm, those were the days.

And now here I am, my life so fufilled. I thank God every day for the blessings he has bestowed upon me in granting my longest held desire of being.....a compliance officer.

*sigh*

Pixiesprite

(that was for entertainment purposes only)

Return to Top
#445721 - 10/24/05 07:13 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Paul Franklin Offline
100 Club
Bothell, Washington
Well, I am not actually a banker anymore, I am on the software side now, but all I did to become one was to walk into a branch and apply for a job. I was quite literally hired on the spot (wasn't quite done the application) and 10 months later was the assistant manager of the branch.

I guess 7 years as a gas station attendant wasn't completely wasted.

Return to Top
#445722 - 10/24/05 07:40 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Quote:

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Thanks lady! I got it from a friend on another board.

Return to Top
#445723 - 10/24/05 07:42 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No. I started part-time to help me through college, then made a big mistake and went full-time, quitting college. That was 26 years ago and I do regret it.

Return to Top
#445724 - 10/24/05 07:44 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
I work 37 hours a week and do night school, This upcoming semester though I'm scaling back to 26 hours and going to do regular school. I'll only have 1.5 years left, then I get to find a real job in the forensic science field! I rule

Return to Top
#445725 - 10/24/05 07:52 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
I guess my story is too common. I took a job as a teller while I figured out what to do with my life, plus pay some bills and school loans off. 13 years later, I'm still trying to figure it out.

If I could do it over again, I would probably move to New York and try my hand in acting or writing, or try and break into the advertising business. But I won't complain, banking has been very good to me.

Return to Top
#445726 - 10/24/05 07:55 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Thanks lady! I got it from a friend on another board.

Alot of cats hanging around here lately- someone must love those beastly things.

Return to Top
#445727 - 10/24/05 08:01 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
huntik Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
ZGuy20, What are you going to do in the forensics field? My husband is a forensic entomologist.

Return to Top
#445728 - 10/24/05 08:06 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Either the chemical side (i.e.) Toxicology reports. Or determining actual cause of death. I'm gonna Minor with a CJ degree (hopefully) so I want to do something with law enforcement

Return to Top
#445729 - 10/24/05 08:07 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Never even thought about banking, when asked in grade school all the way through high school what I wanted to be I said an OB Dr. I will be that one day or at the very least an OB Nurse- so watch out world. I am working two jobs, supporting myself and taking online classes until I am enrolled in the Nursing Program. I plan on specializing in OB as a nurse and than taking courses in the "off-time" to further my education. So like Zguy, I rule too!

Banking just kind of happened, I was in customer service, real estate, and than moved 3000 miles and applied at a bank. Hired at entry level and worked my way to the top...oh the top meaning a higher floor. ha! just kidding.

Return to Top
#445730 - 10/24/05 08:14 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
huntik Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
Very cool, NGuy20! I'm very fascinated buy the entire field. You'll defiantly have some good stories to tell when you get into it.

Return to Top
#445731 - 10/24/05 08:19 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Yeah hopefully So!

Return to Top
#445732 - 10/24/05 08:32 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I started out wanting to be in engineering (my first major was in physics) - when that didn't pan out, I switched my major to Business (Econ). My dad told me to apply for a summer job at the local community bank - they moved me around when I came back for breaks (summer, winter, spring, etc) and then hired me after graduation.

The rest as they say, is history.

I'm still trying to break into the film business - I'm hoping to be an extra on Prison Break!!!

Return to Top
#445733 - 10/24/05 09:02 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
I wanted to be a cosmonaut, but I wasn't Russian enough.

I stumbled into the banking profession by sheer happenstance (almost literally starting in the mailroom) and then never left due to sheer laziness. My degree is in history, so I would like to take bits of history, clean and refurbish them, and offer them for sale for a modest markup.

My real dream is to become a history professor automatically without the bothersome details of getting a doctorate or sweating tenure or working at Podunk U. Either that, or own a comic book store. WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME.

Return to Top
#445734 - 10/24/05 10:04 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
When I graduated from college - eons ago - I thought I would work in a YMCA but ended up as a teacher's assistant until the boys came along. I fell into banking when we were having difficulty putting food on the table and bills paid. A good friend and neighbor worked at a bank nearby and I was hired as a New Accounts Representative and secretary to the president. Now the question would be, did I have any experience as either???? No but I needed the job and 23 years later I'm still in banking - go figure

Return to Top
#445735 - 10/24/05 10:42 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Quote:

I work 37 hours a week and do night school, This upcoming semester though I'm scaling back to 26 hours and going to do regular school. I'll only have 1.5 years left, then I get to find a real job in the forensic science field! I rule

Forensics, that is so awesome. That is what I want to do so bad. Good luck to you. Maybe me too one day. *sigh*

Return to Top
#445736 - 10/24/05 10:50 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks! I have a feeling that I'm going to need it!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3