Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#446203 - 10/24/05 07:22 PM Mortgage verification
Kaos Offline
100 Club
Kaos
I have a mortgage company trying to re-use a customer authorization that is about 9 months old. Aren't these account verifications supposed to be a point in time? The forms states past and present - not "future". What is the industry standard?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#446204 - 10/24/05 07:38 PM Re: Mortgage verification
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I don't know that there is an industry standard, but even if there were I would say it was outweighed by the "plain language" of the authorization. That's what I would tell them.

Obviously, you could forward it to the customer and ask him to contact you directly if he wants you to provide the information...

Return to Top
#446205 - 10/24/05 07:47 PM Re: Mortgage verification
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Ken,

For some reason I'm thinking that 90 days is the maximum time you can use the authorization, but I don't remember exactly where that came from.

Return to Top
#446206 - 10/24/05 11:14 PM Re: Mortgage verification
Kaos Offline
100 Club
Kaos
Could that be the mortgage industry standard? I just don't think "blanket authorization for eternity", is what our customer had in mind.

Return to Top
#446207 - 10/25/05 12:54 PM Re: Mortgage verification
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would review Ken's post, as he said "Obviously, you could forward it to the customer and ask him to contact you directly if he wants you to provide the information..."

This is sage advice. I've never heard of one being reused. But I envision myself in front of a jury, and it is easier to explain, "it seemed very dated, and I wanted the assurance from our customer that this was their intent" rather than standing in front of my boss who is asking me "what were you thinking..." The road of caution would not slow the process substantively, would demonstrate to the customer that you are watching out for them, and if the other guy is taking shortcuts, it puts them on notice that you don't.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#446208 - 10/25/05 01:01 PM Re: Mortgage verification
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I found what I was thinking about and I was way off base. It is under the Right to Financial Privacy. If a customer authorizes a bank and he government to obtain information from a financial institution, that authorization is good for 90 days. Sorry - totally different context than this thread.

Return to Top