BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#44677 - 11/21/02 09:47 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Oh, you have no idea! And the tones of voice some of them used.... Some days I really miss examining. The thrill of the front line, the chase, the new and exciting issues.... If I could do it without the travel, I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#44678 - 11/21/02 09:58 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Thank you, Grist, et al! This is indeed a fine compliment that makes my day warmer. At the risk of being de-nominated for a long post, I'm including below a short article I wrote many years ago. It still expresses my view of peer discussion groups like BOL
------------------------------------------------------------
Those of us who have been "doing compliance" for more than a few weeks can relate to the Maytag repairman. Compliance can be a lonely business - just try striking up a lunch room conversation about one of the more interesting sections of Regulation Z "… say, did you hear the one about waiving the right of rescission?"

"Talking shop" is an important tool of the compliance trade. Many regulatory issues are not black or white and it's the compliance manager's job to find the least expensive way to stay on the right side of the gray zone. If there's someone out there who has already solved your problem, why waste your time reinventing the wheel?

Most banks have less than a full time position dedicated to regulatory compliance management, so there's no one else to "talk shop" with. Big banks may have more people involved, but these people are so specialized that they don't share common interests. Imagine a CRA officer's enthusiasm for a heated debate about the merits of BSA "exemptions!"

The best "shop talk" is at compliance conferences, the bigger the better. I go to conferences looking for contacts, solutions to difficult problems, tips on more efficient work techniques and gossip about my regulators. My goals for each conference include making several new professional acquaintances and renewing old peer relationships. Sooner or later, I will want to pick up the phone and ask one or several of these people to help me solve a problem or confirm that I already have the best answer.

Even if you're lucky enough to go to a large conference (expensive and in a distant city), peer discussion opportunities can be limited. Discussions take place in large meeting halls, so you often don't know who you're talking to and don't get much of a chance to strike up a relationship. When you get home, you don't know which of the 500 conference attendees shared your interests.

Now, thanks to (BOL), we have our very own peer discussion group!

Virtual peer discussions offer most of the benefits of face to face conferences plus several unique features made possible by their electronic nature. Virtual conferences run round the clock, 365 days a year. All of the parties don't even have to be there at the same time. Discussions of a single topic can last for weeks and they can be a combination of public (posted) and off-line (direct e-mail) exchanges. By adding the address (URL) of another Internet site relevant to the discussion, readers of your comment can immediately "surf" to the next location looking for additional information on the topic.

I have been "doing compliance" since 1970 and can't begin to count the number of times I have exchanged ideas with peers. A long time ago I learned that I don't have to know everything, just where to find it! As the Beatles put it, "I get by with a little help from my friends."

Return to Top
#44679 - 11/21/02 10:02 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Well said!

Return to Top
#44680 - 11/21/02 10:07 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan...I am truly greatful for all your contributions, but when I first saw your BOL name I thought it read...
"diapers full"...(and now you know why I am anonymously posting)......but it's meant with alot of love...Thanks again...

Return to Top
#44681 - 11/21/02 10:14 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I can see that. With my last name being Persfull (pronounced "purse full") I get a lot of wise cracks about working for a bank also.

Return to Top
#44682 - 11/21/02 10:17 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you Richard, for a wonderful article! MVP worthy are you!

Return to Top
#44683 - 11/21/02 10:22 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
BeachGirl Offline
100 Club
Myrtle Beach, SC
All the posters have my deepest appreciation for their time and willingness to share regardless of how small the question. This is always the first place I turn for help. I don't see how some you ever get any work done! It astonishes me at how many posts are out here everyday. And some of you MVPs seem to answer them all! Thanks again to all the MVPs, AnonRegulator, Mary Beth and Lucy!

Return to Top
#44684 - 11/21/02 10:26 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I agree and I just want to say that nominations are open as I don't have sufficient posting time to know about all the potential MVP's. I hope that one of those nice BOL management types will chime in with an award for those who are identified as MVP's. A little icon with MVP, perhaps?

By the way, it's not necessarily the number of posts, except for perhaps Andy Z’s quality posting machine, but perhaps a series of quality responses or even a series of thought provoking questions deserve consideration. Actually, those posters who are willing to sign-up and ask something that, on the surface, appears a little lame deserve at least a special mention award. You just never know when or how the next bit of inspiration is going to come your way. But we know the where part, on the BOL site is a safe bet.

Return to Top
#44685 - 11/21/02 10:58 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so glad I wasn't the only one!!! But, now I feel bad since I know that is not what it was!

I do appreciate the input from all posters of this forum!!

Return to Top
#44686 - 11/21/02 11:34 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

YES!
Gee, Grist your idea is brilliant. All of the people who have been nominated are the best. Being a former CO who has worked along side other CO's, auditors, and consultants for a number of years, I can tell you the level of brainpower here is unbelievable. This website has been an excellent resource for me and our staff.

I must say, Grist even though you opened some wounds and a pretty intensive discussion on the Audit threads, your input has been great. I do think you should be on the list. However do take it easy on us Audit-types.

My top vote goes to Andy Z. Thanks also to all of you who provide tools, resources, and examples. GG

Return to Top
#44687 - 11/21/02 11:44 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Ron Justi Offline
Evans City, PA. USA
Ditto to Sherry, Grist and all the other posts. There is an old saying that goes something like 'a man/woman never stands so tall as when they stoop to help a child'. Although old to banking I was new to compliance when given the responsibilty for it in my bank. But my confidence and knowledge began to grow when I discovered BOL and its discussion forums. The awards are a great way to say "thank you" to all those who have helped me learn so much. Some day I hope to grow to have the helpful, kind, and professional qualities our MVPs have. And the good humor exhibited here by all goes a long way to helping me maintain my sanity in this crazy field. Thanx again to all that contribute their time and knowledge here. You all stand tall in my eyes.

Return to Top
#44688 - 11/22/02 12:02 AM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
In reply to:

"Giving thanks is the best part of receiving favors."

Return to Top
#44689 - 11/22/02 12:32 AM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
The names listed as well as the other nominees are well beyond warranted. As stated over & over the Q/A's are all valid and what a networking team this is!! BOL is the first line of work each day. This is the only valid site in electronic history that warrants an outstanding service award. And to think the way I found out about this site is from a telephone call from a person in Tennessee who was referred to me from someone else in California, took me a while to figure out how they got my name - sometime during the conversation they mentioned BOL. While on the phone I pulled up BOL and now I look forward to the daily chatter to humor my day. Your responses are prompt and usually right on.

Thanks again!

Return to Top
#44690 - 11/22/02 01:18 AM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thank you for your suggestion. I get so much out of BOL, that I don't feel like I'm giving as much as I get.
- Isn't it great that we all seem to feel that way?!

Thanks, Mary Beth, for this wonderful tool. I don't know what I would do without it!

Return to Top
#44691 - 11/22/02 01:30 AM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Gee - Be away from my computer for the day, and look what I missed! I am honored to mentioned on the list. Thank you Grist. Appreciation is ALWAYS appreciated!

BTW - I also want to say kudos to Dawnie for wining the Community Development Initiative award (I know that's not the exact name but I can't put my hands on the article at the moment) at the recent CRA Colloquium. Way to go!!!!

So - I'd like to nominate Dawnie in the CRA category.

Also - let's not forget Al Miller who can ALWAYS come up with the legislative link we all need to find!

(P.S. Why was I away from my computer? I was at our data center attending the BOL Web Seminar on Suspicious Activity Reporting. All in attendance agreed the presention was Excellent!)

Return to Top
#44692 - 11/22/02 11:37 AM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Gosh, it's not even 7:00 AM yet and two compliments already. You knew it was my birthday, right?

Inclusion on the list is very much appreciated, but David's comment is simply accurate. It is hard to give back as much as you get from participating here.

Richard's article is very much on point. BOL is my version of the company water cooler. If I've got something on my mind that I cannot resolve and need some other perspectives, I come here. (Continuing with the water cooler analogy, I also do it when I just need a break.)

Okay, group hug!!!

Return to Top
#44693 - 11/22/02 12:44 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Happy Birthday Ken!! Where's your hat? And more importantly, where's the cake??

Return to Top
#44694 - 11/22/02 02:39 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Since he lives in Louisville, the happy hour virtual mint juleps are on Ken! Have a Happy Happy!

Return to Top
#44695 - 11/22/02 02:42 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
...but most importantly, the umbrella drinks after work today!!!

Return to Top
#44696 - 11/22/02 03:37 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
MVP’s – It’s all about mentoring and as luck would have it – we found you!

Following is the BOL Mentor/Protégé scenario.

Finding Mendors:
When looking for a potential mentor, seek out someone who has considerable expertise in the profession or specialty. The person should be someone you admire and respect and who seems to have it all together. It’s also important to seek out a good communicator who makes you feel comfortable and seems to have a caring attitude.

An ideal mentor is a proven leader with high standards who’s passionate and enthusiastic about the profession. Certainly, it must be someone you can trust.

Although a mentor may be someone you work with, it’s more likely to be someone who works for another company. Mentors can often be found through professional associations (or web sites).

How to Be a Good Protégé:
The mentor/protégé relationship is a two-way street. Both parties have responsibilities and both can benefit. Show appreciation for your mentor’s time and support. Look for ways to support and promote your mentor. Know what you want, and don’t waste your mentor’s time.

At a point in time when you think back on your career, you will realize that you encountered many potential mentors along the way, and many seemed more than willing to help you. However, being unaware of the concept of mentoring and the benefits it could bring, perhaps you never took the time to develop a more formal relationship with any of them. You may have missed out on a lot, perhaps always reinventing the wheel, and probably made a lot of avoidable mistakes and gaffes - thinking that you had to do things the hard way and “make it on your own” to be successful. With experience, you begin to realize that many successful people got where they are through the guidance and support of mentors. Look for these people in your life – look for these people on BOL.

Return to Top
#44697 - 11/22/02 03:54 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I too appreciate the recognition and would like to express many a previously unsaid "thank you" to all that participate in the threads. While I probably spend too much time here, it is very enjoyable to converse with those that are at the top of our profession and with those that will soon be there. I especially enjoy the well thought out thought provoking questions that makes me dig into the old memory banks to think of where the answer may lie. It has kept me sharp and on top of the game over the last few years in a very enjoyable sort of way. This is a wonderful tool and I feel privledged that I can contribute to this large community in a forum where the cloak of competitiveness seems to melt away. Long live BOL!!!

Return to Top
#44698 - 11/22/02 04:26 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Ooooo, Ooooo, Mrs. Guard, Ken needs a party hat!

Happy birthday.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#44699 - 11/22/02 04:45 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Happy B-Day Ken and congrats ExgovtBabe!

Return to Top
#44700 - 11/22/02 05:41 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
We need to thank those who post the questions, since they have the skills and courage to recognize the issues and speak out.

Return to Top
#44701 - 11/22/02 05:41 PM Re: 2002 BOL MVP AWARDS
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
I don't see the age attained? But Happy Birthday, anyway. Don't start a fire when you blow out the candles

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4