Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#447081 - 10/26/05 02:54 AM Best Rock Band of All Time?
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
We haven't had one of these posts for a long time. I'm interested in hearing what some of the newer folks have to say.

I say the three greatest rock bands of all time are:

1. CCR
2. The Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin

What do you say?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#447082 - 10/26/05 03:39 AM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Good choices. Some others I'd nominate:

1. The Rolling Stones (obviously)
2. The Who
3. The Kinks (underrated)

CCR's music is great, but they were so short-lived.

Return to Top
#447083 - 10/26/05 07:11 AM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I'm assuming that solo artists are not eligible.

1. Beatles. Probably not my personal favorite, but I'd have to put them at the top of the list. They had amazing range, creativity, they were tight, and their songs stand the test of time.

2. Stones have to be up there also, but I don't think they have what the Beatles had.

3. The Who is great, but I might also make a case for the Eagles - better staying power, more fun.

Return to Top
#447084 - 10/26/05 12:30 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
actually, Rainman, if you ever watch (or had been to) a live Beatles show, you would see that they were actaully not very good and that their range was poor. It was only in the studio, with take after take after take, that they were able to define their music to perfection. Live, they stunk.

I'd have to say The Who, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and Nirvana (sure, slam me for this, but then go get a couple of their albums, the musical genius comes right out).

Return to Top
#447085 - 10/26/05 12:46 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Top "Rock n Roll" 3:

1. AC/DC
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Van Halen- David Lee Roth era

Return to Top
#447086 - 10/26/05 01:11 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Limiting the list to 3:
* Cream
* the Doors
* David Bowie

One I'm tempted to include is Ringo Starr and His All-Star Band. The line-up changes all the time, but I've never been disappointed in the shows. Hard to beat a band that includes, say; Ian Hunter, Jack Bruce, Todd Rundgren, Greg Lake, Howard Jones and Ringo Starr.

Return to Top
#447087 - 10/26/05 01:39 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Zepplin, Tool, RATM, Pink Floyd

Return to Top
#447088 - 10/26/05 01:43 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Best Ever was Journey when Steve Perry was lead singer. Not the group they have now.

Second was the Eagles but on a current status, I would have to say Third Day. Although Casting Crowns is pretty cool.

Return to Top
#447089 - 10/26/05 01:56 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Hello? Where is The Band? Also, I think U2 should get some consideration at this point.

I agree with the Beatles making the list, but not CCR, and not the Stones. One can make a pretty good case for Zeppelin. Cream is a little short-lived.

Others that bear mentioning (though I am not saying top three):

Dire Straits
Buffalo Springfield (short-lived, also)
The E-Street Band (if you consider it a band)
The Grateful Dead
The Eagles (not my favorites, but they are undeniably a great band)

Return to Top
#447090 - 10/26/05 02:08 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Hello? Where is The Band?

See, that's my problem with making it a list of 3. The Band has to fit somewhere....

Return to Top
#447091 - 10/26/05 02:20 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
1. Zep......no question in first
2. The Who

Third is up for grabs.

Return to Top
#447092 - 10/26/05 02:20 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only reason the Kinks are not on all these lists is that they were banned by our government from touring here for 4 or 5 years at the height of their popularity. They regained some of the popularity in the 80s, but they never recovered fully. They started getting their due in teh '90s as many young British acts gave them credit as an important influence. If you listen to their early albums like, Face to Face, Arthur, Lola, Preservation Green Society, you will what a great band they were. Go back and listen to their hits and you will enjoy them, dig in beyond their "hits" and I think you will agree they were an all-time great band.

And they were the source of the music for a great recent commercial. You know the one where the guy takes frames and places them in front of his face and different poses freeze. The song is "Picture Book" from their classic "The Kinks are the Preservation Green Society." (I think that's the name.)

I just started listening to their catalogue a couple of years ago and I am hooked.

Return to Top
#447093 - 10/26/05 02:51 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
So you are saying that because they are your favorite band and not everyone likes them, its because of the gov't. Look the Kinks are good, well they were ok. Not my type of music. I can find a ton of reasons that good bands are not on most of these peeps lists.

Return to Top
#447094 - 10/26/05 02:56 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
How about:

Genesis
Steely Dan
The Doobie Brothers

I'm not saying they are the absolute best, but I would put them near the top of the list.

Return to Top
#447095 - 10/26/05 03:13 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Most of my favorites have already been listed but I am going to add some others. I am fairly sure I will be alone in some of these choices but who cares:

Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Scorpions
Bon Jovi
Metallica (although some may classify them as heavy metal)

Return to Top
#447096 - 10/26/05 03:34 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

So you are saying that because they are your favorite band and not everyone likes them, its because of the gov't. Look the Kinks are good, well they were ok. Not my type of music. I can find a ton of reasons that good bands are not on most of these peeps lists.

No, that is not what I am saying. Did I say they were my favorite band? No. I do think they would have scored more hits if they'd not been banned from touring in the US for 4 or 5 years. Anyone who doesn't think that matters to a British band's success, doesn't know much about the music industry and how much touring in America means to their popularity.

The ban also affected their music. Ray Davies became much more introspective in his writing for a time.

Not your type of music? What type of music? Their English folk style music? Their harder electric music? Their dance hall style music? What Kinks songs or albums that you have heard are you saying are just OK?

Musical tastes are so subjective, but I am right.

Return to Top
#447097 - 10/26/05 03:42 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Vee Offline
100 Club
Vee
North Alabama
Beatles (Legendary)

Today it would be:
Casting Crowns

Return to Top
#447098 - 10/26/05 03:43 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hey, we're forgetting about America's two most popular (by sales) rock bands of all-time. They've actually toured together, but they are both a mere shadow of their former glory.

Return to Top
#447099 - 10/26/05 03:44 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
happygilmore wrote:

Quote:

actually, Rainman, if you ever watch (or had been to) a live Beatles show, you would see that they were actaully not very good and that their range was poor. It was only in the studio, with take after take after take, that they were able to define their music to perfection. Live, they stunk.

Okay, I'll agree that they weren't at their best performing live. But for most of these groups, their "legacy" is not their live performances, but their "body of work". Maybe that includes a couple of good live cuts (i.e., Cream - "Crossroads"), but it's mostly studio albums. The Beatles' range in studio albums is just about unmatched - songs like "Yesterday" and "Norweigan Wood" to "Daytripper" and "Drive My Car" to "Sgt. Pepper" and "Yellow Submarine" to "Revolution."

If you're focusing on live performances, maybe the Stones would get the nod over the Beatles?

I agree, CSNY is/was a great band and their live performances are superb; I'd rank them high in the top 10.

AML, I hear you on Ringo Starr's ASB (great lineup although I don't particularly like Ian Hunter), but I do have a hard time calling it a "band." I'd put Steely Dan up as well - they've had many different players, but at least the main two remained the same.

Return to Top
#447100 - 10/26/05 03:50 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Hey, we're forgetting about America's two most popular (by sales) rock bands of all-time. They've actually toured together, but they are both a mere shadow of their former glory.

I would think the Eagles would be up there (but they've been mentioned) - one of their Greatest Hits albums is one of the top-selling of all time. I'd have to just guess the other - maybe Aerosmith?

Return to Top
#447101 - 10/26/05 03:55 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Return to Top
#447102 - 10/26/05 03:56 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
No, what anon said (I was not referring to you) was that the reason that the Kinks are not on "all of these lists" is because they were banned from touring.

1) I was not referring to your posts, unless you were the anon. In which case read 2.

2) They are not on my list because I do not think they are that good. That is like saying the only reason Tool is not on every list is because they purposely stay out of the popularist eye. OK, well we are comparing them to all music. So, for those who don't like them, good. That is your opinion.

You referrenced that this had an impact on their success because they were a British band. The title of this thread is "Greatest Rock Band of All Time" not most successful. Look, I think that the Kinks are good. But really good. Nah. Its not an argument. The only argument I had was to the quote "the only reason the Kinks is not on all of these lists is".

The reason the Kinks are not on my list, is because I don't think they are one of the greatest rock bands. Not because they were banned from touring here. That is it. I was not saying you were wrong. I was saying that they are not in my list, not because they were banned, because I don't think they were good.

Return to Top
#447103 - 10/26/05 03:56 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

AML, I hear you on Ringo Starr's ASB (great lineup although I don't particularly like Ian Hunter), but I do have a hard time calling it a "band." I'd put Steely Dan up as well - they've had many different players, but at least the main two remained the same.

Totally agree. I didn't think they really qualified as a band in the sense that people are discussing. In coming up with my own list, though, they came up because I thought, you know, I always see the ASB when it tours, it's always been a good show, and the people are always having a great time playing together. (I remember in one show Todd Rundgren introducing a song by saying "You know, I never thought in my life I'd say something like this, but, I'm about to play a Cream song with Jack Bruce!!!!"

Return to Top
#447104 - 10/26/05 03:58 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
CCR? I think we can create a "Nic Cage" thread for them.

Return to Top
#447105 - 10/26/05 03:59 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
I know its 5, but this is them IN ORDER
1. The Rolling Stones
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
4. Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Aerosmith

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4