Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#447106 - 10/26/05 04:00 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
KISS is the greatest selling rock band every, more gold and platinum records than anyone else. I certainly wouldn't put them in the top 25, much less top 3...(as Love Gun now is stuck in my head...)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#447107 - 10/26/05 04:06 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Oh for goodness sakes, happy, I wish you hadn't even typed their name to remind me of them.

I think of them more as performance artists than a band.

Return to Top
#447108 - 10/26/05 04:07 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
shout it, shout it, shout it out loud...
I want to hear you...
shout it shout it shout it out loud

(I think my brother was the worlds biggest KISS fan, he was actually a board member of their KISS Army fan club at one time...)

Return to Top
#447109 - 10/26/05 04:08 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

3. Red Hot Chilli Peppers

[the rest of the group stares, stunned by the reckless display of tattered credibility...]

Return to Top
#447110 - 10/26/05 04:11 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Quote:

3. Red Hot Chilli Peppers

[the rest of the group stares, stunned by the reckless display of tattered credibility...]

They are, HANDS DOWN, the best live band I've ever seen. They bring an incredible presence and energy to the stage. Plus John Frischonte (sp?) is one of the most deliberate guitarists around.

Return to Top
#447111 - 10/26/05 04:12 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The only argument I had was to the quote "the only reason the Kinks is not on all of these lists is".

Yes, I was the anon and I did overstate my case. I should have said, "The reason they are not on more of these lists is because of the ban at the peak of their popularity."

After listening deep into their catalog over the past two or three years (something I'd never done before), I think more people in the U.S. would think they were one of the top 3 rock bands if this hiatus had not happened as they were peaking in the US. Have you listened deep into their catalog or just what the radio plays? I truly think the 5 year ban damaged what would have been a status as one of the the top rock bands of all time.

You say that you don't think they are that good, but I bet you've never heard one of the albums I named. I don't know if it would change your mind, but its hard to judge a band whose albums you've never heard.

Return to Top
#447112 - 10/26/05 04:14 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

shout it, shout it, shout it out loud...
I want to hear you...
shout it shout it shout it out loud

Make it stop, make it stop, please make it stop!!!!

Love your tag line

Return to Top
#447113 - 10/26/05 04:20 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

one of the most deliberate guitarists around.

Deliberate...that's an interesting way to describe a guitarist. Kudos.

Return to Top
#447114 - 10/26/05 04:23 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Quote:

As in every note he plays has a purpose and a specific job in the music. I can't tell if you're trying to be a smara$$ or if you're serious, but I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm. I never said you had to like my bands, I was just expressing my humble opinion, and nothing you say or don't say will change my views. Sorry bucko

Return to Top
#447115 - 10/26/05 04:24 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just don't get the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
I think they were way over rated.

I also think Nirvana was over rated. The best band to come out of the Seattle scene was Alice In Chains. They were a killer band!

Return to Top
#447116 - 10/26/05 04:24 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think Nirvana was over rated. The best band to come out of the Seattle scene was Alice In Chains. They were a killer band!

Return to Top
#447117 - 10/26/05 04:29 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
The Doors (considered as a rock band?)

and

Metallica hands down. (Yeah, yeah, they could be heavy metal but they still rock.

Return to Top
#447118 - 10/26/05 04:30 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
z,

I do not know the names of any of their albums. So it would be easy to say that I have not heard of them. Which I probably have not. But, usually when people are very pleased with a band, they are right. Especially since you listed some of the same bands that I love. So, tonight I will legally download some of their stuff.

Return to Top
#447119 - 10/26/05 04:33 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
And just because they happened to rotate onto my iPod, what about Queen?

Return to Top
#447120 - 10/26/05 04:35 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As in every note he plays has a purpose and a specific job in the music. I can't tell if you're trying to be a smara$$ or if you're serious, but I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm. I never said you had to like my bands, I was just expressing my humble opinion, and nothing you say or don't say will change my views. Sorry bucko

I was being a smarta$$ about your listing of the band. I was being complimentary of your description. Learn to accept a compliment, bucko.

Return to Top
#447121 - 10/26/05 04:35 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Metallica hands down. (Yeah, yeah, they could be heavy metal but they still rock.

Metallica USED to be a heavy metal band. They lost all of their swagger and attitude. They don't rock anymore, that last album was complete trash.

"tick tock, tick tock, frantic.... "

Go listen to "Master of Puppets" and try to tell me that "St. Anger" compares to it. Not happenin'

Return to Top
#447122 - 10/26/05 04:35 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

You think Alice In Chains were "a killer band"?!??! Holy hell! Somebody get this anon some real taste in music!
For the record, Nirvana WAS overrated, Alice in Chains, was DECENT AT BEST. You don't get the Peppers cause you've probably never been to a concert or owned an album

Return to Top
#447123 - 10/26/05 04:42 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
[quoteYou think Alice In Chains were "a killer band"?!??! Holy hell! Somebody get this anon some real taste in music!
For the record, Nirvana WAS overrated, Alice in Chains, was DECENT AT BEST. You don't get the Peppers cause you've probably never been to a concert or owned an album

OK, i had to sign in..... I have been to hundreds of concerts my friend and I do know my metal and hard rock music. Alice in Chains was a killer band, listen to their music and you'll understand. don't listen to what they play on the radio. Listen to songs like nutshell, got me wrong, rain when i die; they are a killer hard rock/metal band and were the best band to come out of the grunge scene.

Of the hundreds of concerts; let's check the list;

black sabbath, ac/dc, aerosmith, pantera, slayer, alice in chains, jerry cantrell, motorhead, clutch, corrosion of conformity, megadeth, metallica, lynyrd skynyrd, john mellencamp, ozzy osboure, pink floyd, roger waters, tom petty, john fogerty, reverend horton heat, zz top, white zombie, kiss, black label society, primus... you want me to keep going?
Last edited by Blind Guardian; 10/26/05 04:44 PM.

Return to Top
#447124 - 10/26/05 04:48 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
Do I see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on your list? Nope. While you have been to more concerts than myself and have seen some flat out amazing bands, I disagree with Alice in Chains. I fell that any grunge band is overrated, much like Nirvana, especially the ones out of Seattle, due the fact that Nirvana came forth from the same city. Also they lack the longevitiy of RCHP, when was the last time Alice in Chains came out with an album, when were they last on tour, when was the last time they were in the news? A band can be great for an album, but it takes true greatness to continue to evolve and make great music.

Return to Top
#447125 - 10/26/05 04:53 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Does longevity necessarily make for a great rock band? Do record sales define greatness? Or can it be subjective?

Return to Top
#447126 - 10/26/05 04:53 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Metallica They don't rock anymore, that last album was complete trash.

Easy to lose your swagger and attitude when you reach middle age (probably raising families) and you are accustomed to riding around in limos and living in mansions.

Return to Top
#447127 - 10/26/05 05:20 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
But that's what makes music great, everyone likes something different and it means something different to each person.

Return to Top
#447128 - 10/26/05 05:24 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
I agree, it adds to the diversity of the music that is created.
I didn't mean to get all defensive, but music is one of the few passions in my life, and something I take pride in my taste in.
I didn't mean to stomp all over your choices, I get overly defensive, and apologize.

Return to Top
#447129 - 10/26/05 05:30 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Does longevity necessarily make for a great rock band? Do record sales define greatness? Or can it be subjective?

On a personal level, I don't think sales or longevity matter. But if you are trying to name the greatest rock bands ever, I think you have to give the nod to bands that touched some universal chord with the masses. A band with poor sales, may be at the top of your list, but it will never be at the top of a list made by a diverse group of rock fans.

Return to Top
#447130 - 10/26/05 05:36 PM Re: Best Rock Band of All Time?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
For what it's worth ... I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4