Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#450257 - 10/31/05 09:02 PM NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
We're taking a few days and going to NW IN - any ideas of things to do? We understand the sand dunes parks are fascinating; we'd rather not go into Chicago; and we plan on ending the trip by seeing Drew Carey and his Improv tour at a local theatre. Anything else?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#450258 - 10/31/05 09:03 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
If you go to church, go to a service at Valparaiso Universities Chapel. It is absolutely stunning. Heck, just go by to look at it even if you aren't religious.

You can also go to Gary, IN for the smellathon, but I odn't recommend it.

Return to Top
#450259 - 10/31/05 09:04 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Gary is at it's loveliest the first couple of weeks of November.

Return to Top
#450260 - 10/31/05 09:05 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Gary can be lovely? Well, the sunsets do turn very unique colors....

Return to Top
#450261 - 10/31/05 09:05 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla

Return to Top
#450262 - 11/01/05 01:39 AM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
Wow, where do I start? There's a nudist colony in Roselawn. There's a really cool place called The Shrine of the Seven Dolars (not a typo) out by Chesterton. There's an Amish community in Napanee. There's Al Capone's jail cell in Crown Point. There's Deep River State Park out by Hobart. Yes, Dunes State Park is really cool. Just don't go when it's windy. Merrillville has a good live theatre (Star Plaza) and all the shopping and restaurants you would ever want. There is a beautiful Greek Orthodox church in Merrillville too. And if you get really bored, you can check out the high school's drama wing and see if you can find me in any of the old pictures!

Return to Top
#450263 - 11/01/05 02:44 AM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Wow! With these responses about things to do in Indiana, you can rest assured that I will not be planning a trip there in the near future!

Given the alternative, I will sit on my front stepas and count the cars that go by.

Return to Top
#450264 - 11/01/05 03:19 AM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
Quote:

Wow! With these responses about things to do in Indiana, you can rest assured that I will not be planning a trip there in the near future!

Given the alternative, I will sit on my front stepas and count the cars that go by.

Oh come on...didn't you always want to visit a nudist colony?

Return to Top
#450265 - 11/01/05 02:59 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Going to NW Indiana and not going into Chicago to see the sights there is pretty much a waste Fraudman.

Return to Top
#450266 - 11/01/05 04:31 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

Going to NW Indiana and not going into Chicago to see the sights there is pretty much a waste Fraudman.

I'll second that. As others have pointed out, stay out of Gary, and please don't let it be your only impression of the state. The only cool thing to see in Gary, IMO, is the U.S. Steel Mill along I-90. The enormity of the place is something.

Folks in Indiana refer to NW Indiana as "The Region," although not many people seem able to explain why it earned that moniker. Try to eat at a locally-owned establishment. Many of them in that area are owned by Greeks. I always feel like I'm on the set of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when I'm in one of those places. There are a lot of beautiful Greek and Serbian Orthodox churches up there.

Go into Chicago. If you don't want to deal with the traffic hassle, take the South Shore Line into The Loop. If you drive, take the Skyway. You get a great view of the Chicago skyline by heading into the city that way.

Return to Top
#450267 - 11/02/05 01:11 AM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
The reason it's called The Region is because it is the Chicagoland Region. Lake and Porter counties change time zones to keep up with Chicago, since so many people commute.

And yes, Chicago is great. I love it. It is, however, congested, expensive and tiring (and scary if you get lost). If they don't want to go they don't have to stay in a hotel twiddling their thumbs. There are things to do without taking 80-94.

Return to Top
#450268 - 11/02/05 02:01 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Great suggestions - thank you, and keep them coming! Chicago deserves a separate trip; right now we just need the R&R. It's supposed to be a little chilly and occasionally rainy - highs around 60 degrees - so we'll avoid Roselawn ; ) We didn't know about the architecture and ethnic restaurants - sounds good. Drew Carey and his group are supposed to do a night at the Star Theatre - is that a renovated turn-of-the-century theatre or something newer?

Return to Top
#450269 - 11/02/05 03:38 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

Drew Carey and his group are supposed to do a night at the Star Theatre - is that a renovated turn-of-the-century theatre or something newer?

If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's newer. There's a venue right along I-65 next to a business park and close to a regional shopping hub in Merrillville and Hobart.

Please note that I live in Indy and don't get up there like I used to (my former in-laws live in The Region).

Return to Top
#450270 - 11/14/05 02:42 PM Re: NW Indiana - vacation ideas?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Update - too windy to spend more than a few minutes at the Dunes. The Environmental Center was closed for the season. Merrillville is the least pedestrian-friendly area I've ever been in. Amazingly, the local yellow pages had nothing about the community, so we didn't learn of any sightseeing opportunities until we found a visitors center in Chestertown. Even then, one gem wasn't in the tour guides - the National Car Ragtop museum near the Lighthouse Outlet shops in Michigan City, Indiana - well worth the $6 per adult admission.

Drew Carey and his improv troupe were great!

If we ever go back, it will be in early May or late September - probably less windy and more fun for hiking, biking, etc.

Return to Top