Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#451473 - 11/02/05 07:50 PM keyboard capture
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am updating our Information Security Program and using a resource manual to assist me in writing procedures. This resource mentions how management should be aware of the risks associated with "keyboard capture programs". Can someone out there more literate than I on technology lingo tell me what this means. Thanks

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#451474 - 11/02/05 08:34 PM Re: keyboard capture
WormUNB4L Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Keyboard capture programs (sometimes known as keyboard capture worms), are maliscious programs that, unbenounced to the user, record the keystrokes being typed in by the user. These typically are then used to obtain passwords and user names.

In a lot of cases, these are downloaded onto a computer through a maliscious file attachment.

Return to Top
#451475 - 11/02/05 08:37 PM Re: keyboard capture
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
It's referring to 'keyloggers', which are programs designed to log everything that is typed at the pc. Whatever virus/spyware/trojan scanning you are doing needs to (and likely does) search for these as well.

Return to Top
#451476 - 11/02/05 09:22 PM Re: keyboard capture
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
My IT person just sent me this related article on RATS - Remote Access Trojans.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9898957

Return to Top
#451477 - 11/02/05 09:27 PM Re: keyboard capture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks you both for the info. It makes more sense now. Tech lingo is tough to understand sometimes because of the usage. I have a tough time understanding our IT guy too. People refer to things differently **sigh** and just when I think I've got it, I'm thrown another curve. Love this stuff...keeps me on my toes.

Return to Top
#451478 - 11/03/05 04:33 PM Re: keyboard capture
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
These can be hardware, plugged in between the keyboard and the CPU, or software. And sometimes they're used for good, and not evil. I had someone using my home PC a few years ago. They erased the browser history files when they were done, so I installed a keylogger so I could see where they were going. It was not good. That person had "borrowed" a key from a family member to enter my home and do this.

Long story short, and focusing on the topic, not the scumbag, these can be used by management for monitoring but are more often associated with the theft of data and access means.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#451479 - 11/04/05 04:45 PM Re: keyboard capture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Andy. From what I was reading I had kind of gathered this was what it was all about but the explanation was not as clear as what you guys gave here. Muchas gracias. Love this website. Great learning experience.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z