BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#457168 - 11/15/05 07:39 PM Calling Schnuazer owners--
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
I lost my canine companion of 10 years a few weeks ago and am ready for a new dog in my life. I love big dogs and am more familiar with the larger breeds but am at a point in my life I need to consider a small dog.

The SPCA has a schnauzer ready for adoption. Doubt she is purebred but really do not know. Dottie is between 3 & 6 years of age, & weighs 18 pounds or so as she is very over-weight. If you know this breed, please share your experineces.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#457169 - 11/15/05 08:28 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Schanuzers are wonderful. They are loving, gentle, and protective. I have had my Foxie, for nearly 3 years... she just had puppies and their about 3 weeks old... they are great inside dogs, and they don't shed which is a good thing. Go for it... you'll be glad you did.

Return to Top
#457170 - 11/15/05 08:38 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
I have a Miniature Schnauzer, Rocky, who is now 14. My best bud - he is very protective, very loving - and really no trouble - also, Schnauzers are really smart.

They do required grooming around every six-weeks, but there are a lot of groomers out there that work on Schnauzers. You would be very happy with one by your side.

By the way, you are a special person for considering adopted one from the SPCA - you will probably be saving her life.

Return to Top
#457171 - 11/15/05 08:46 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Mine is a mini also.

Return to Top
#457172 - 11/15/05 09:24 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Anonymous
Unregistered

My bf has a mini schnauzer and he is absolutely adorable. He is 6 years old and better behaved than most children. He is a good traveler (calm and relaxed in the car). Although 'Skip' is rather spoiled, he is still well behaved. I have a cocker spaniel (3 years old) and she gets a bit over excited at times but is also a very good breed for a companion / indoor pet. Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#457173 - 11/15/05 09:26 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
moonpie Offline
St. Louis, MO
Oops, the previous anonymous post was mine. I forgot to log in.

Return to Top
#457174 - 11/15/05 09:42 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
I have a mini schnuazer names Max who is just wonderful. He is great with my kids, likes to play with them but also protects them from stangers. He is however one of the biggest scaredy cats (dogs) I have ever seen. He is afraid of everything--fireworks, lightning, thunder, lawn mower, vacuum, you name it-he's afraid of it.

Return to Top
#457175 - 11/15/05 09:44 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
I find that male dogs in general, especially if house dogs... and not fixed.. love to mark their areas... it is my only drawback on male dogs... my mom has a male schanzuer... he was an inside dog but when he would not stop markin he quickly found his home outside.

Return to Top
#457176 - 11/15/05 11:04 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
After reading all the positive Schnauzer posts I could not wait to visit Dottie again on my lunch break. She really is a cutie. Now though she has kennel cough, compliments of her stay at the dog pound.

Abandonement, dog pound, kennel cough -- talk about sress and it isn't over yet. She will have her tummy shaved this afternoon to determine if she is spayed. Of course if she hasn't been spayed, that will be added to the to do list.

Apparently no one else has taken an interest in her so I'll just sit tight & hope that soon I too will be a Schnauzer owner!

Return to Top
#457177 - 11/16/05 02:28 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I also have a mini-schnauzer (and like Okie, his name is Max). He is 4 years old and is my second mini. They are wonderful dogs. Max LOVES to play and is very protective. The no-shedding is a definite plus. Good luck on your adoption!!

Return to Top
#457178 - 11/16/05 02:59 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
moonpie Offline
St. Louis, MO
I'm also under the understanding that schnauzers are a good pick for people with allergies due to the fact that they don't shed. However, my bf's schnauzer (Skip) has skin allergies and cannot eat anything with wheat flour - so he is on meds and a special diet. Something to consider...

Return to Top
#457179 - 11/16/05 04:27 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Love Schnauzers!!! We have had two in the past and when my LasaPoo Buddy goes I'll get another one. Great for alergies, nice solid built dogs with good temperments.

Return to Top
#457180 - 11/16/05 04:35 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

I find that male dogs in general, especially if house dogs... and not fixed.. love to mark their areas... it is my only drawback on male dogs... my mom has a male schanzuer... he was an inside dog but when he would not stop markin he quickly found his home outside.

Dogs should be fixed - that solves the problem. Also, it solves a ton of problems at shelters.

Return to Top
#457181 - 11/16/05 06:04 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Agree X. I'm going to call the SPCA today & find out what they found when they shaved her tummy. Hopefully, she is spayed. Have always had my dogs fixed and always get my pets, products of backyard breeding or irresponsible owners, from the pound. Take Dottie, the guy at the SPCA said if she is a purebred she is a backyard type!

As for house breaking, with a big dog it is a piece of cake. I know that small dogs are more of a challenge and it is not just male dogs marking territory!

Boy, all these posts from owners. Had no idea this breed was so popular!

Return to Top
#457182 - 11/16/05 06:15 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
I have a Mini Schnauzer - Sammy is a 4 year old Male. He is wonderful with everyone, even young children. He loves to play and is very well behaved. Loves to chase bunnies and stays in the yard (no fence). You will love her. Great company, but loves attention all the time.

Good Luck! Hope you have found a great companion.

Return to Top
#457183 - 11/16/05 06:22 PM Re: Calling Schnuazer owners--
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Susie - go to American Miniature Schnauzer Club - they provide a Q&A on the breed.

I've loved all our dogs, but Rocky is my favorite - never a 'mistake' inside the house - very good personality.

I believe that 'fixed' dogs are a lot easier to deal with, plus it apparently reduces the possibility of medical issues as they get older.

Return to Top