BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#462399 - 11/28/05 08:42 PM Re: Offensive words
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I personally really like to swear. However, I was raised by very conservative parents who almost never swear, and I have noticed that they simply block out and dismiss any message that contains swear words. They may be a minority, but that minority is out there. Therefore, I try not to swear unless I'm around people who I have reason to believe will not "block out" and dismiss me for swearing. This is especially true in the workplace (and BOL is still the workplace as far as I am concerned, even in the cooler). So while I am not personally offended by the swearing in here, I see it as enlightened self-interest to not swear at work or here; after all, why automatically turn off part of the listeners?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#462400 - 11/28/05 08:52 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

we should get april [from big brother] to put in her 2 cents...she would love this thread

Return to Top
#462401 - 11/28/05 08:52 PM Re: Offensive words
huntik Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
My husband works in the forensic sciences and has to testify in court a lot. One of his colleagues swears left and right and does so on the stand. He was told by a lawyer to stop because it hurt his credibility with the jury.
I'm not offended, but I do think there is a time and place for it.

Return to Top
#462402 - 11/28/05 08:55 PM Re: Offensive words
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

we should get april [from big brother] to put in her 2 cents...she would love this thread

You can check with Bengals Fan, but I'm pretty sure he'd point out that April doesn't @#$$$ing swear, not the least @#$@# little #@$%@#$ bit. She's always a &^%%& perfect lady.

Return to Top
#462403 - 11/28/05 08:56 PM Re: Offensive words
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Uh-oh - someone might find that post offensive. You better delete it.

Return to Top
#462404 - 11/28/05 09:37 PM Re: Offensive words
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
You don’t have to swear to offend people. People these days have absolutely no sense of humor and shutter at the thought of laughing at their selves. Everything is serious and you cannot make light of anything. These are normally the same people who just left work early to go by the gas station to get liquor and cigarettes and to the drug store to pickup their Prozac.

I bet I just offended somebody because I made a comparison with Prozac.

So use what ever words you like... you're going to offend someone anyways. Might as well use words that are easy to type.

Return to Top
#462405 - 11/28/05 09:46 PM Re: Offensive words
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

You don’t have to swear to offend people. People these days have absolutely no sense of humor and shutter at the thought of laughing at their selves. Everything is serious and you cannot make light of anything. These are normally the same people who just left work early to go by the gas station to get liquor and cigarettes and to the drug store to pickup their Prozac.

I bet I just offended somebody because I made a comparison with Prozac.

So use what ever words you like... you're going to offend someone anyways. Might as well use words that are easy to type.

But I didn't need the liquor, cigarettes or Prozac until I started this freakin' compliance job!!!

Return to Top
#462406 - 11/28/05 09:52 PM Re: Offensive words
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I am known to occasionly drop a f-bomb or even a triple word score when I am really pissed, BUT I don't use that language around the people in my life that don't appreciate those words. Not because I don't want to offend, but because I respect them.

I agree with Raymond that there is always someone out there looking to be offended. I am not one of those people and I think I am a happier person for it.

Return to Top
#462407 - 11/29/05 12:01 AM Re: Offensive words
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I have a basic rule I try to follow... When I'm around work or people who may not enjoy such colorful words I try to refrain from using "bad words"...but if these same people show up at my house or see me when I'm out with my friends, they need to respect that this is how I talk.
As Eddie Murphy once said, "It's my house, and if you don't like it, get the !@#$ out!"

Return to Top
#462408 - 11/29/05 12:44 AM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I have a basic rule I try to follow... When I'm around work or people who may not enjoy such colorful words I try to refrain from using "bad words"...but if these same people show up at my house or see me when I'm out with my friends, they need to respect that this is how I talk.
As Eddie Murphy once said, "It's my house, and if you don't like it, get the !@#$ out!"

Yeah, I've always found that is the best way to get ahead in the world.

Return to Top
#462409 - 11/29/05 01:01 AM Re: Offensive words
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Quote:

Quote:

Well, I figure if you don't like me for who I am, there's no point in you being at my house anyway

I gotta agree with GT on this - but I think he's better at containing himself at work than I am

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#462410 - 11/29/05 02:38 AM Re: Offensive words
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
I'm reminded of the Sponge Bob episode:

They're sentence enhancers.

Return to Top
#462411 - 11/29/05 12:19 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should be able to say anything you want, whatever you feel like, anytime you want. It's a free world.

Just don't expect others to:
hire you
promote you
recommend you
encourage you
like you
rely on you
trust you
invest in you
enjoy you
and even love you.

Return to Top
#462412 - 11/29/05 12:20 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

and respect you.

Return to Top
#462413 - 11/29/05 12:36 PM Re: Offensive words *DELETED*
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
Post deleted by IronGuy

Return to Top
#462414 - 11/29/05 12:45 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go down to the flea market on Sunday and look closely at who's selling rugs and stuff out of the back of old vans. It's the folks who made the same arguments that many of you are making - - only it was a generation ago. They were the ones that said "accept me for what I am, I'm not gonna change to suit someone else."

Return to Top
#462415 - 11/29/05 02:01 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I figure if you don't like me for who I am, there's no point in you being at my house anyway

I gotta agree with GT on this - but I think he's better at containing himself at work than I am

The higher up you are in an organization, the more it matters how you present yourself in public. Is it your employer's business how you act in public, drink in public, drive in public, talk in public, etc...? You may not think so, but then again, if you don't, you'll likely never hold a position as an executive in any organization (or at least not for long). Like it or not, that's the truth. It is not about "liking you" Darkhorse. The truth is, you and GT have expressed an attitude for the mail room not the boardroom. That is not a criticism. It is a fact. Do as you please, but remember, you heard it here first. And, DH and GT, will you two hurry up and deliver the mail!?

Return to Top
#462416 - 11/29/05 02:26 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great, but the issue was using subjectively offensive terms in the BOL watercooler.

Return to Top
#462417 - 11/29/05 02:35 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Great, but the issue was using subjectively offensive terms in the BOL watercooler.

Great, right back at you, but the issue changed a few posts back to the use of profanity on and off the job.

Return to Top
#462418 - 11/29/05 02:55 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet condescending smile. Is that how you intimate that you are right in an argument? Or is it that along with calling yourself Friendly Advice? I think it is ridiculous to think that using profanity as management will get you anywhere. But I also think you are overestimating puritans running companies in this country. Maybe at the 700 Club networks but not everywhere.

Return to Top
#462419 - 11/29/05 03:26 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sweet condescending smile. Is that how you intimate that you are right in an argument? Or is it that along with calling yourself Friendly Advice? I think it is ridiculous to think that using profanity as management will get you anywhere. But I also think you are overestimating puritans running companies in this country. Maybe at the 700 Club networks but not everywhere.

And what executive position do you hold?

Please reread my post. I did not say that use of profanity will necessarily hold you back. I said the attitude that how you act and talk in your free time will not hold you back is incorrect. You think merely puritans and 700 Club members care? Get real. Life is unfair and employers may be hypocritical.

Back to cussing: Executives and politicians may curse in the boardrooms and political war rooms across the country, but when one of those executives/political aides carries that language into the public eye and it effects the public image of the company or politician, that person will likely get canned. The ones doing the canning may be the worst potty mouths in the entire company, but they use great discretion in deciding when to use the bad language.

GT and DH seem to think that it does not matter what they do in their spare time and my "friendly advice" is that it does matter. When you are standing in the unemployment line because you were just fired by the most foul mouthed executive you've ever known, you can complain about how his language is worse than your's. When an affair you're having with a married woman goes public and you get fired by a man who has been sleeping with his secretary for years, you can cry to career counselor as the two of you search for a new job. However, all you complaining will not change the fact that your hypocritical boss is still employed and you are looking for a job.

Return to Top
#462420 - 11/29/05 03:31 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

7 1/2 years in an executive position and holding, but thanks anyway FA.

DH

Return to Top
#462421 - 11/29/05 03:41 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had to laugh. We have Internet Security on our home computer and have parental controls set to prohibit the children from accessing what we feel may be inappropriate websites. The categories are rather general such as witchcraft, finance, real estate, religion, sex, etc. I was unable to pull up BOL using the children's access level due to sexual content, not finance.

Return to Top
#462422 - 11/29/05 03:49 PM Re: Offensive words
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

I don't see the issue.

And once again I am agreeing with X. Good grief my life is going downhill quickly.

Could we possibly be soul mates?

Return to Top
#462423 - 11/29/05 03:52 PM Re: Offensive words
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

7 1/2 years in an executive position and holding, but thanks anyway FA.

DH

"...and holding"

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3