Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#462439 - 11/28/05 07:15 PM What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
A couple of articles that I thought were really good. The first was from thw WSJ's opinion journal website, about the case that the President needs to make for Iraq.

The second was about the political climate - and the state of political discourse - in America, generally.

Just thought y'all would like to know.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#462440 - 11/28/05 07:41 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Re: the WSJ article on the speech that the President ought to give on Iraq.

If I agreed that all the statements made were true, then my next question would be: "So why are we still there?"

Return to Top
#462441 - 11/28/05 07:44 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

"So why are we still there?"

"We know that much remains to be done. Sunni and Shiite leaders must work together more closely....Soon Iraqi forces will be able to maintain order in the few hot spots that still exist in Iraq. We will stay the course until they are ready."

Return to Top
#462442 - 11/28/05 07:51 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am with J. What do we do, leave? That is rather near sighted.

Return to Top
#462443 - 11/28/05 07:51 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Yes, I read that. In the context of the rest of the speech, it did not jibe with current force levels and activities. Is "the mission" the self-sufficiency of the Iraqi forces? It seems that fewer troops, deployed differently would be more appropriate for that goal.

Return to Top
#462444 - 11/28/05 07:52 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I think that Iraq's pathetic forces have proved that we should probably add more US troops.

Return to Top
#462445 - 11/28/05 07:58 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
There are well-intentioned arguments that the mission could be better accomplished with fewer troops, and there are well-intentioned arguments that the mission could be better accomplished with more troops.

The theatre commander has indicated that the current footprint, likely to be reduced after the election in two weeks, is appropriate. I believe he is in the best position to make this determination.

Return to Top
#462446 - 11/28/05 08:01 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I agree with Joker, he is in the best position. Not Murtha or any other back seat politician.

Return to Top
#462447 - 11/28/05 08:07 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Can we not get this started please. People that have heard me on this know where I stand. But I will not allow Murtha to become some right-wing pariah. Nation, your comment leads me to a completely different conclusion but I will refrain.

Return to Top
#462448 - 11/28/05 08:17 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

There are well-intentioned arguments that the mission could be better accomplished with fewer troops, and there are well-intentioned arguments that the mission could be better accomplished with more troops.

That's true no matter what "the mission" is. I just don't happen to know what "the mission" is. Being a simple barbarian, I'd like to know (a) what the mission is, and (b)what signs/portents/measures/etc. will tell us we've achieved it.

Return to Top
#462449 - 11/28/05 09:21 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I was responding to your post:

"Is "the mission" the self-sufficiency of the Iraqi forces? It seems that fewer troops, deployed differently would be more appropriate for that goal."

Return to Top
#462450 - 11/28/05 09:23 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having realized that there is no reasonable solution for fixing the looming Social Security shortfall, the Administration's mission is to drag-out the conflict in Iraq until such time as it is someone else's problem.

Return to Top
#462451 - 11/28/05 09:25 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
You were responding to one part of what I wrote, and I understood the response. The other part asked "Is 'the mission' Iraqi self-sufficiency?" and in the subsequent post, I asked explicitly, "What is 'the mission'?"

If anyone knows, please share.

Return to Top
#462452 - 11/28/05 09:31 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The mission, as I see it, is to promote an Iraqi government that opposes terrorism, respects human rights, represents its people, and can defend itself.

Return to Top
#462453 - 11/28/05 09:37 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You were responding to one part of what I wrote, and I understood the response. The other part asked "Is 'the mission' Iraqi self-sufficiency?" and in the subsequent post, I asked explicitly, "What is 'the mission'?"

If anyone knows, please share.

Here's an answer that I hear often: We are at war people! By questioning it you are giving comfort to the enemy. (notice how it still didn't answer the question but implied that you were unamerican.)

Return to Top
#462454 - 11/28/05 09:57 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Here's an answer that I hear often: We are at war people! By questioning it you are giving comfort to the enemy. (notice how it still didn't answer the question but implied that you were unamerican.)

Stop listening to those voices.

Return to Top
#462455 - 11/28/05 10:03 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess my question is, where do we go after we get Iraq straightened out? Opposing terrorism, respecting human rights, and supporting governments that support and defend their own people is indeed a noble goal. Are we going to limit our actions to just Iraq?

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#462456 - 11/28/05 10:06 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I guess my question is, where do we go after we get Iraq straightened out? Opposing terrorism, respecting human rights, and supporting governments that support and defend their own people is indeed a noble goal. Are we going to limit our actions to just Iraq?

If, by action, you mean military, then perhaps, perhaps not. I'm sure that each administration will weigh their options and ask for Congressional authority on the merits of the situation.

Return to Top
#462457 - 11/28/05 10:10 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

But surely the merits are the same in Iran, Korea and so on as they were in Iraq? And it would be this administration, wouldn't it? They've got three more years, at least. How is the criteria different for these countries?

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#462458 - 11/28/05 10:11 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

But surely the merits are the same in Iran, Korea and so on as they were in Iraq? And it would be this administration, wouldn't it? They've got three more years, at least. How is the criteria different for these countries?

Do you honestly believe that there are no differences?

Return to Top
#462459 - 11/28/05 10:18 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you honestly believe there are not?

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#462460 - 11/28/05 10:37 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
I think we will be at war with Iran within the next four years, after Iran fires its first nuclear weapon on Israel. I have no illusions that the day Iran gets its hand on a nuke, it well attacks Israel. Remember, they do not care about their own survival - their ultimate objective is to destroy Israel.

On the issue of why we are still in Iraq, well – let’s go back a few decades - we went to war with Germany some 55 years ago – however our troops are still stationed there. That does not mean that WWII is still going on. There is specific need for the troops there. Likewise, we will be Iraq for decades to come –even if the Democrats come into power in 2008.

Trouble is we are the microwave generation – we put stuff in the microwave and pace the floor while the food cooks. We want instant results, something which we seek in Iraq. That is never going to happen. This is a religious war and could potentially last thousands of years – as long as the Iraqi people are not willing to stand up for themselves, we will remain there as buffers between the various sects.

Return to Top
#462461 - 11/28/05 10:57 PM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Do you honestly believe there are not?

I'm sorry, is the question, do I honestly believe that there are not no differences? (i.e., that they are identical?) I think this is your position, not mine.

As to what I believe about this, please see the trouble brewing thread.

Return to Top
#462462 - 11/29/05 12:53 AM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

But surely the merits are the same in Iran, Korea and so on as they were in Iraq?

Not the same at all. Iran is a radical Islamic state with a nuclear program. Iraq was a secular state without one. North Korea is a known supplier of nuclear production materials, has nuclear weapons and has long range missiles that can deliver them. None of those were true of Iraq.

No, not the same at all.

Return to Top
#462463 - 11/29/05 01:00 AM Re: What Jokerman read for lunch
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

The mission, as I see it, is to promote an Iraqi government that opposes terrorism, respects human rights, represents its people, and can defend itself.

Thank you. Is that the same mission that President Bush believes he has?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2